Godin 730 A

Eagleproducer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 730 A

Post by Eagleproducer » Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 2:42 pm

I helped an individual move this past weekend and he had an unusual looking stove on his deck. It looked fairly weathered but still very solid so I asked what he was going to do with it. He said I could have it if I carried it away that day. I've been looking for a small stove like this to set on my hearth and plumb the stack out the rear and up my chimney so this looks like it will work perfectly for that. My questions: Is the a coal only stove? It appears to be a "top feeder" where once the fire is going you feed coal through that top drawer? From what I have read, one should construct the outlet flue with a damper so as to encourage air flow and oxygen to the fuel bed? Do you fill this with coal once the fire is hot so you don't have to keep adding small amounts of coal, then just use the shaker lever to move the ash downwards into the ash drawer? Thanks in advance for answers to the questions and advice about cleaning/restoring this stove.

Attachments

IMG_4522.JPG
.JPG | 388.5KB | IMG_4522.JPG
IMG_4524.JPG
.JPG | 226.9KB | IMG_4524.JPG

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 3:58 pm

There is nothing to prevent the fire from spilling out if the door is opened. Either that toothed portion has to come down or some sort of grill has to be added to the front.

Eagleproducer

Post by Eagleproducer » Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 7:15 pm

You don't need to open the door to stoke the fire box. There is a top hatch for loading more coal so I don't see a reason to open the door once you've established a fire and the coal is going?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 10:52 pm

Eagleproducer wrote:
Mon. Apr. 09, 2018 7:15 pm
You don't need to open the door to stoke the fire box. There is a top hatch for loading more coal so I don't see a reason to open the door once you've established a fire and the coal is going?
You will have burning coal up against the mica in the windows.

Georgelap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3720A, Buderus Juno
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oscar- oil boiler

Post by Georgelap » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 9:21 am

Dear friend.
The stove you have is an imitation of the classic E. Chaboche "La salamandre" anthracite stoves produced in france between 1880-1940.
The front broken handle near the loading door is used to move the stove from fireplace to fireplace. (if you check under the bottom plate you will see three small wheels as also a simple type of brake.
To make this old Godin work again you should find a front coal grill. Umfortunately this is realy difficult...

If you find one, try some stove sized coal. (30/50mm) or anthracite ovoids. Smaller sizes will fall from the grate and make a pile between the mika and the frond "teeth grill"

George

Eagleproducer

Post by Eagleproducer » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 6:49 pm

I have that handle. I took it apart to clean the porcelain. It only has two wheels and there is a leveler/brake on the front. I have a good buddy who is an iron worker and has a forge and casting capabilities. He'll get that lower front coal grill made for me. What is your advice on cleaning it? The enamel is fairly dirty and just a preliminary wipe with cloth and plain water revealed a very nice patina under the grime. Some of the "metal" looks to be rusted nickel plated iron/steel?

Georgelap

Post by Georgelap » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Old French manuals suggest amonia based cleaner or just soap and water.
All the metal parts are nickel plated, not chrome.
Have a look on my topic (Deville DPF 600) to take an idea about the front grill geometry.

Eagleproducer

Post by Eagleproducer » Thu. Apr. 12, 2018 12:12 pm

If the nickel plating is rusted, those components would need to be plated again or perhaps the rust will remove? I'll try some rust remover in a small piece to see what happens.

Georgelap

Post by Georgelap » Thu. Apr. 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Try to send them to a professional to replate them again.
Cleaning them up with rust removers is a realy pain and they will be rusted again after a while.

I am waiting to see your new coal grill design :)

George

Eagleproducer

Post by Eagleproducer » Wed. Apr. 18, 2018 11:34 am

I can't get to your post about your Deville. Can you please provide a link.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”