Stove designs

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 12:07 pm

I have not seen all that many coal stoves but have not seen one with baffles to catch more heat out of a slower burning fire. If too much could always have a damper to bypass them or engage them sort of like a BB. It comes to mind after watching some videos of coal burning trains and suspect all coal boilers have tubes of some sort to extract heat why not a space heater or larger coal fired furnace?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Some of the older coal boilers had baffle plates.

My first house, built in 1922, the American coal fired boiler still had the cast iron baffle plate in it, even after it had been converted to oil in the 1950's.

The plate was burned through, but the local pluming supply still had replacements,..... and a choice of two sizes of new DHW coils. That was in 1979.

Paul

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 12:18 pm
Some of the older coal boilers had baffle plates.

My first house, built in 1922, the American coal fired boiler still had the cast iron baffle plate in it, even after it had been converted to oil in the 1950's.

The plate was burned through, but the local pluming supply still had replacements,..... and a choice of two sizes of new DHW coils. That was in 1979.

Paul
From the days we did not throw things away too quick. I still have a 2002 Pontiac as my primary car and it gets 28 mpg has 94k miles on it and the paint is still in very good shape. At 66 and only burn a tank of fuel a month I can not see me buying another car. Still has the same exhaust and it still looks good. My Corvette is a 91 and going to sell it a good driver class car everything works Had a bunch of upgrades but see me buying a well usd pickup for what little I will use it and bank the difference.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 4:36 pm

i hear ya on the cars DD. i have a 97 saturn sc1 with 175k+ on it that still throws 40 mpg and i drive it all over the country buying and turning stoves.

i also have a 85 yamaha vmax motorcycle that is basically a "rat rod" in appearance.

built to the 9's and impossible to tell till it's too late. lots of fun at bike night, still claiming titles and calling cabs for loosers. :twisted:

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 4:55 pm

At 66 the last thing in the world on my mind is a new car I can't afford to replace one that runs fine.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 7:15 pm

OK, it's time for me to change my wheels. At 4mpg it takes a time even to get to Shoprite. I hate reaching out and blowing the horn when it is cold.

Attachments

100_0338.JPG
.JPG | 376.5KB | 100_0338.JPG

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 9:25 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 7:15 pm
OK, it's time for me to change my wheels. At 4mpg it takes a time even to get to Shoprite. I hate reaching out and blowing the horn when it is cold.
I'm thinking BB might be able to line you up with a electric conversion kit with maybe a couple of high octane batteries, some windmill blades and a few solar panels to close the roof and sides in. :lol:

Paulie

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 10:53 pm

They make 40V electric lawn mowers and must make a ring one by now maybe 8 or 10 hp and turn it into a real hotrod.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 11:17 pm

ddahlgren wrote:
Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 12:07 pm
I have not seen all that many coal stoves but have not seen one with baffles to catch more heat out of a slower burning fire. If too much could always have a damper to bypass them or engage them sort of like a BB. It comes to mind after watching some videos of coal burning trains and suspect all coal boilers have tubes of some sort to extract heat why not a space heater or larger coal fired furnace?
So DD, where exactly would these baffles be located on an old BB? I was under the impression the exterior nickle rings on these cylinder stoves were some type of baffle, or more accurately called "deflectors" to transform radiating heat into more of a turbulent heat source, to aid in efficiency. Are you talking about baffles on the interior, or combustion chamber area to extract heat from?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Mar. 21, 2018 7:46 am

Joe,
I think what DD means is internal baffles to make a zig-zag, longer route for exhaust gases to travel inside the stove, thus extracting more heat. Kinda like how base heaters redirect exhaust to lengthen the route inside the stove.

My old coal boiler had a horizontal cast iron "shelf" that slid in through the upper loading door opening. It left a gap at the front edge but otherwise it blocked off the inside of the stove from side to side on back to the rear wall. That made the exhaust go around the front end of the plate rather than straight from the firebed to the exit collar at the back of the boiler jacket.

By lengthening the exhaust path toward the front, more of the water jacket was exposed to higher exhaust gasses.

Paul

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Wed. Mar. 21, 2018 8:42 am

Paul, exactly what I had in mind. A baffle plate or tubes whatever, a longer flue path like a BB. It seems sort of wasteful to have just a box of burning coal. I would venture to say that a couple or even one baffle would increase heat transfer a measurable amount. I have put just common red brick on edge(sort of diagonal so only sharp edges touch) In old coal/oil American Standard boilers and dropped well over 100 degrees in stack temps. I see no reason they would not work using baffles or tubes in a coal heater. They could have a damper to bypass them if really low output needed and draft is dropping off. Running slower in cold weather I would think extends time between tending possibly by a few hours and has to mean coal saved. It would also make tending times more flexible. For me that is a real plus as I am liable to sleep in from meds.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Mar. 21, 2018 5:14 pm

OK, I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up. Are combustion chambers in some stoves big enuff to lay in these baffles, or tubing? I guess it depends on the stove. I don't know of any BB that would allow this mod, (to be efficient) but I think I've seen some pretty large box stoves that might benefit. Good observation DD.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Mar. 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Joe,

I believe it was Franco that pointed out in one of the GW magazine threads that base burners/base heaters with a central magazine would force the hottest part of the exhaust gas stream closer to the barrel walls. So, in that sense, the magazine might make a base burner act like it has a baffle added above the firebed.

I didn't run it long enough without the mag to have enough barrel surface temp data to compare if adding the mag did indeed increase the barrel surface temps.

Paul

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Wed. Mar. 21, 2018 9:01 pm

Paul it would be like the inlet in a jet fighter that can get to mach 2 and up directing the inlet air to the outer edges of the compressor blades, think SR-71. Same as a diffuser in a well designed exhaust.There is a long history of something that does what the magazine does.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Mar. 21, 2018 10:22 pm

DD, you said "SR-71". :D AAhhhhh. The biggest and baddest, and my mostest favorite hot-rod in the entire world. :yes:
(A design drawn on the back of a restaurant napkin in the late 50s)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”