Wicked Stawm but Still Wicked Wawm

SawDustJack
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Newcastle/Ironhouse;Warm Morning 617a
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by SawDustJack » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 9:24 am

I had to do the title in my best Cape/Boston Accent!! We just got power back from that nasty little storm and I know there are still a lot on the Cape without, but I needed to say thanks to all of you for all you share here! I started burning coal (after years of wood) mostly because of all I read here three years ago and haven't looked back! Tips, tricks and encouragement are all appreciated!! The stove is in the back part of the house and that area stayed at a nice 72 or more. It is the first time we relied on it to see how it would do heating our whole house. Its an old house, 1884, with many rooms and no insulation. The stove kept the other parts of the house in the mid 50's which is pretty impressive.

I must admit that I was a little nervous about running the stove during the storm but it was going to be a long duration storm (three days) and we wanted the heat. It lived up to that prediction. I wanted to control the down drafts as much as possible. The set up is the picture in my avatar. Stove is right outside the fireplace with no real room for a baro or much of anything. Its a T pipe connection directly to the back of the stove and direct to the liner and up it goes. The stove has a built in MPD which I do use some in cold cold weather, but usually just the primaries on a regular Cape winter day. I know there is more heat loss blah, baro vs MPD, blah...beat the dead horse emoji here...but that is how the set up is and it works well for my house. We have run the stove during past storms and experienced small puffs of downdrafts with the wind. I typically turn the primaries way down and pretty much shut the MPD and have gotten downdrafts. Not terrible, kind of like a small puff back, but we have experienced them. This storm I decided to try 1/2 way the MPD but leave the primaries open for higher temp setting to achieve higher flue temps and much stronger draft. I was very happy with the results. We were not expecting the 90+ mph winds during the peak that we got here on the Cape and I am happy to say we experienced no downdraft puffs at all, even at the peak of the storm which basically was hurricane force winds. I did keep a sand pail near and a fire extinguisher just in case. Just thought I would share my experiences dealing with some wind!
Last edited by SawDustJack on Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 9:35 am

Nice ya got through this one safe S. Thanx for sharing--that's how we all learn my friend. PS--terrible accent attempt!!! LOL

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 9:45 am

Good to hear that you found a way that worked to keep you warm. Sometimes we get too carried away with "efficiency" being all about how little we burn ,that we forget efficiency is actually a bigger package than that. You may have burned some extra coal to keep the exhaust stack warm enough for the stove to properly operate.... BUT, you were able to operate the stove with no issues & keep warm too. Seems to me that you operated your stove at the optimum efficiency for the conditions at the time.

Similar to taking a gasoline engine to the ultimate lean burn & call it efficient... But, if the lean burn results in burnt valves & the engine running too hot,the ultimate efficiency has not been met.

Thanks for sharing your storm survival experience with us. :)

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 2:42 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 9:35 am
PS--terrible accent attempt!!! LOL
Ooh, let me try. "Did ya drop an ankah from the cah and the bahn so they don't wind up in the hahbah?"

Mike

SawDustJack

Post by SawDustJack » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 3:24 pm

Pacowy wrote:
Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 2:42 pm
Ooh, let me try. "Did ya drop an ankah from the cah and the bahn so they don't wind up in the hahbah?"

Mike
Of course! Aftah we dropped the ankah, we all went to the bah in Havahd Yahd to ahgue about who had the biggest ankah! By the way, my ankah held the cah fine. The roof of the bahn took a little damage though. :o

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Much better S!!! LOL

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 4:48 pm

I think y'all need to git yer selves back ta school, and slap yer Engrish teachurrrrs right in the kissurrrrrrr. :lol:

Hey Jack, were you anywhere near the coast, or in-land? I saw the waves in Situate were blowing pretty high. Lots of flooding. Sorry to hear 'bout your shed. Hope you acquired your neighbors. Nice job keeping your house warm. Think about this, what if you had a pellet stove...... :o
We were lucky here in CT. No lost power, but we did have some strong wind gusts.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 4:55 pm

I have about the same success understanding someone with a thick Boston accent as someone from Quebec.

SawDustJack

Post by SawDustJack » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 4:55 pm
I have about the same success understanding someone with a thick Boston accent as someone from Quebec.
I think that could be the Red Sox/Patriots hatred effect blurring your ability to communicate to the typical Masshole such as myself.... :lol:

joeq wrote:
Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 4:48 pm
I think y'all need to git yer selves back ta school, and slap yer Engrish teachurrrrs right in the kissurrrrrrr. :lol:

Hey Jack, were you anywhere near the coast, or in-land? I saw the waves in Situate were blowing pretty high. Lots of flooding. Sorry to hear 'bout your shed. Hope you acquired your neighbors. Nice job keeping your house warm. Think about this, what if you had a pellet stove...... :o
We were lucky here in CT. No lost power, but we did have some strong wind gusts.
We are in Sandwich by the Barnstable line. Not Ocean front, but a few more storms like that and we could be! I've been here since the 80's and I don't remember seeing flooding like that.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 5:36 pm

SawDustJack wrote:
Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 5:29 pm
I think that could be the Red Sox/Patriots hatred effect blurring your ability to communicate to the typical Masshole such as myself.... :lol:
I don't really follow professional sports, but I will admit that I enjoy seeing the New England teams lose...just to take my VT coworkers down a notch.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Twas a nice little storm...
Our new house is away from the water...
Basement got wet but nothing like Smitty's...
A river did run thru it tho... ;)
Power is still out in many places, slowly being restored...
Our street made out fine with no loss of power...
Heavy trimming by the power company helped I'm sure...

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 6:34 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:
Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 6:29 pm
Twas a nice little storm...
Our new house is away from the water...
Basement got wet but nothing like Smitty's...
A river did run thru it tho... ;)
Power is still out in many places, slowly being restored...
Our street made out fine with no loss of power...
Heavy trimming by the power company helped I'm sure...
Ain't that the truth. Since our Oct. storm, (2010?), I've never seen so many power company's hiring tree services to remove trees near the lines. Lots of people having their yards cleaned-up for free. Well, not really free. We're all paying for it. :cry:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”