Waste Oil Burner in a Clayton

jibs1723
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Old Clayton Unknown model
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Intrepid II for the house

Post by jibs1723 » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Figured some people on here might get a kick out of this. Its not strictly coal related, and if that's not ok, please remove or relocate however is necessary.

As some of you know, I have an old clayton furnace that I use to heat my garage. I have been toying with the idea of burning waste engine oil in it as I work on all my own equipment and cars and it accumulates quickly. I played with some old beckett burners and it was going to be too much work to make an air atomizing nozzle and heater setup to burn the oil that way. So i did some reading and came up with another idea that works just by gravity and with the inducer fan that i have on my ash pan door. Essentially, I have blocked off the entire grate section with fiberglass insulation except where the oil burner sits. The fan blows air through the burner to help burn the fuel. The oil is drip fed to the top of the burner by a copper line and a needle valve. This helps heat the oil on the way to the drip and then it travels down the sides of the burner and pre heats before burning at the bottom.

So far i have run about 5 gallons through it and stack temp sits around 250-300 degrees, load door is 450 or so, and above the load door is 400. Once its up to temp, it even keeps the thermostatic fan switch on. Doesn't throw as much heat as coal for sure, but the idea was for days in the shoulder season where its not 30 degrees out. Burns surprisingly clean, no visible smoke from the stack. Sounds like a blast furnace when running! Also a big thanks to lighting for this working. I tried it in the past but with all the air bypassing the grates it didn't work at all. Now I can burn coal, wood, and oil! I have a video if it burning too but wasn't sure how to show that on here

Attachments

IMG_20180224_184852437.jpg
.JPG | 139.5KB | IMG_20180224_184852437.jpg
IMG_20180225_122313219.jpg
.JPG | 364.6KB | IMG_20180225_122313219.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Nice J. Where there's a will, there's a way!! :) Uh-oh, here come the critics!! LOL Lee IS the clayton guy!!! :)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 5:11 pm

jibs1723 wrote:
Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 4:28 pm
I have a video if it burning too but wasn't sure how to show that on here
Firstly, thank you for the honorable mention fellas.

Jibs, probably the best way would be to open a YouTube account and post the link here. That's what I do with all my videos. It's pretty easy and works good for anyone who wants to see the video, user friendly. Even someone that isn't real tec savvy like Fred could do it... ;)

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Looks like you've got the best of all worlds JB. Good job. :yes:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 9:22 am

Back during the oil crisis of the 1970's, Mother Earth News ran a piece on how to build a waste oil heater. The burner was a simple adjustable drip-feed into some cast iron frying pans. Buddy of mine built one to heat the commercial garage he and his son opened.

Very simple to build from common household items and it worked surprisingly well.

Paul

jibs1723
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Old Clayton Unknown model
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Intrepid II for the house

Post by jibs1723 » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 11:54 am

Thanks! And yea I was surprised how well it burned and how much heat it gave off. Definitely not an ideal setup but its cheap and allows me to use up that oil I would have otherwise had to dispose of. Uploaded the video to youtube here:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”