Baro and manual dampers

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 3:16 pm

FF, not all stoves are equipped with a automated system to control the intake air,& not all stoves are compatible for adding such a GADGET that can cause problems.A baro is an inexpensive & very worthwhile addition to a stove without any automated control of the intake air & allows those stove owners to enjoy some of the same control as you enjoy.... no matter if a fierce windstorm blows thru at 2 AM while all are sound asleep.
I have a baro on my stove without a bi-metal t-stat,it helps calm the raging draft when the wind goes berserk.... i don't need to worry about the draft over firing the stove .BUT... when the wind goes over 30 mph,the stove still tends to run some warmer even with the baro doing it's job, but never overfires to the point of overheating.
Even tho i like the baro for my stove & for any stove without an automated intake control, i do not recommend a baro for a stove like your bi-metal t-stat equipped Hitzer.

BUT, i can't recall a time when you haven't told other stove users that the baro is a worthless gadget.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 3:23 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 2:55 pm
None of these had baros-
I had a long rant written up and erased it. The above quote makes my point with a lot less words.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 4:00 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 3:16 pm
I do not recommend a baro for a stove like your bi-metal t-stat equipped Hitzer.
Damn, Joe, you have walked in on one of our perennial family fights. :D :lol:

I do recommend a baro even with a bi-metal thermostat. Much steadier draft during gusty weather. The bi-metal thermostat adjusts over a period of many minutes, so it does nothing for gusts. The baro adjusts more or less instantly and then readjusts when the gust has passed.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 4:11 pm

rberq wrote:
Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 4:00 pm
Damn, Joe, you have walked in on one of our perennial family fights. :D :lol:

I do recommend a baro even with a bi-metal thermostat. Much steadier draft during gusty weather. The bi-metal thermostat adjusts over a period of many minutes, so it does nothing for gusts. The baro adjusts more or less instantly and then readjusts when the gust has passed.
Just think... b4 the above post.....i at least thought that FF was 1/2 right. :what:

Now... :annoyed:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 4:12 pm

I'd of liked top read your rant Lee, cause that one sentence makes no sense. I'm surprised you didn't use my statement that" if a baro is needed, so be it, if not even better". OR "I see he installed a baro & it should work well" I also stated some common problems with baro's. WH--you're always the one saying NO BARO with bi-metallic thermos. Not me.
Lightning wrote:
Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 3:23 pm
I had a long rant written up and erased it. The above quote makes my point with a lot less words.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 4:20 pm

For whatever its worth this is my thoughts :lol:

There is no one size fits all involved in selection of neither one, either one, both, or 2 of each one. It varies from stove to stove, chimney to chimney, user to user, coal brand to coal brand. Personal taste also. Its whatever works for you. There is no comparing one situation to another cuz no 2 are the same.

Anything thats put on a stove can also be taken off, but its simpler to try without 1st and go from there. if your a one shot type of person put them both on and you can put a permanent cover where the baro is if you dont like using it. Your out a few more dollars though.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 5:16 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 4:12 pm
I'd of liked top read your rant Lee, cause that one sentence makes no sense. I'm surprised you didn't use my statement that" if a baro is needed, so be it, if not even better". OR "I see he installed a baro & it should work well" I also stated some common problems with baro's. WH--you're always the one saying NO BARO with bi-metallic thermos. Not me.
FF, we all realize that you are older than the hills & have experienced more of everything than any of us have... EXCEPT... your own words " None of these stoves had a baro"... that makes it sound like you have no hands-on experience with a baro. ;)

I have agreed with you on not adding a baro to a stove with a bi-metal t-stat... but with new info from someone else with experience operating a stove with both... i will now recommend a baro for all stoves. :)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 5:35 pm

I think W explained it better then I ever could. WH, get your head out of your butt with posting personal crap like above. This is about stove principles, not personalities. I do have a baro remaining on my oil burner with an outside air feed. It gets cleaned & checked often. Plus posts of people that have tried a baro & were not at all impressed.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 5:43 pm

FF, it was your rant about how you were tending all kinds of stoves while many of us were yet in diapers that inspired my post about your age... ;) :lol:

My head is on the baro subject & i am pleased that the OP made the right choice & installed a baro on his big hand fed stove. :)

There are many posts of those who have tried a baro & would not operate their stove without it. I believe we have another baro user who will be very pleased with the effectiveness of the baro. :clap: :yes:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Tried it a week ago and I wasn't impressed with what a baro did for my #6 base heater's performance.

If I wanted more, or less heat, I couldn't just adjust the MPD and primary dampers to get what I needed.

But I solved that problem easily. Like was said, it's not for everyone. ;)

Paul

Attachments

DSCN5907.JPG
.JPG | 251.6KB | DSCN5907.JPG

SawDustJack
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Newcastle/Ironhouse;Warm Morning 617a
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by SawDustJack » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 5:57 pm

Well ok then!! Joeshek, I think the set up looks great! Great looking stove and I can't wait to hear some warm reports of your stove at work! We need more pics of it lit!!

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 6:23 pm

SawDustJack wrote:
Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 5:57 pm
Well ok then!! Joeshek, I think the set up looks great! Great looking stove and I can't wait to hear some warm reports of your stove at work! We need more pics of it lit!!
Very good looking stove & setting...now i am looking forward to how it works for you.
I don't remember seeing a thread on this model b4.
Maybe there was b4 my time... ;)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Go up to search bar & look for Gibralter lcc

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 6:44 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 5:35 pm
I do have a baro remaining on my oil burner with an outside air feed.
The guys that installed my oil burner did not use a baro. In cold weather the 26-foot lined brick chimney would vibrate like a musical instrument and get a resonant pulse going that would just blow out the fire. After a few service calls (on their dime) they figured out a baro was needed, and no problems since then.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Mine was an add on 20+ yrs after install. Since the kids left I've shut down the back end of the house with a real insulated door leading to the kitchen. When on the rare occasions I kicked it on the Kero smell was terrible----Soooo, I ran a air feed 6" pipe from heater to outside & put a baro on it inside. Like you, problem solved. Never realized I'd gotten the back end of the house that tight!! LOL

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”