Newbie Stove Owner - Chubby

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 10:17 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 7:47 pm
Not everyone gets so many discounts... :)
1- Old age discount..
2- Military discount..
3- Native American discount ..

4- I can't remember this one.
Oh, #4 is 4 and a half tons delivered for the price of 3 :lol:

Riddlerlloyd
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil fired steam convectors

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 10:37 pm

The old hound likes it too, but she wasn't there for the picture :) I can get it at Direnzo for $170 a ton and Blashak is only a few minutes away from there but it's makes an hour round trip, including bagging, into around 2 plus it's loose in the truck. So far it hasn't been worth it but we'll see for next year....maybe I'm just young n dumb and don't know how to shop around :)

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 6:57 am

Riddlerlloyd wrote:
Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 10:37 pm
The old hound likes it too, but she wasn't there for the picture :) I can get it at Direnzo for $170 a ton and Blashak is only a few minutes away from there but it's makes an hour round trip, including bagging, into around 2 plus it's loose in the truck. So far it hasn't been worth it but we'll see for next year....maybe I'm just young n dumb and don't know how to shop around :)
Someone ran a thread a few months back about using/filling 55 gallon drums... I imagine they'll weigh in around 400 lbs or so each which might be a problem when you get them home .. but it might be quicker than bagging.

As far as I can tell Maine has one outfit selling bulk coal and he's about 10 miles from me in Easton. He sells Blaschak that he trucks up from PA. It's $270 a ton delivered and there's a minimum of 3 tons or else he adds another $20 for delivery. TS sells it bagged by the ton for $300. w/out delivery. It's a crap shoot what you'll get at TS though.

Never burned Lehigh.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 9:41 am

Lightning wrote:
Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 10:17 pm
Oh, #4 is 4 and a half tons delivered for the price of 3 :lol:
Yep, that's # 4. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 9:49 am

Ya know, if you guys would ever learn how to run your hand-fired stoves right, you'd be amazed at the amount of coal you'd save. let's see--a Clayton combo w/ gadgets & riddling tool & a Crane 404 with wind comin through the windows--oh never mind! :?
freetown fred wrote:
Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 9:08 pm
That'd be nice if it were so. :)

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 10:06 am

Doh!

Riddlerlloyd

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 8:31 am

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 9:49 am
Ya know, if you guys would ever learn how to run your hand-fired stoves right, you'd be amazed at the amount of coal you'd save. let's see--a Clayton combo w/ gadgets & riddling tool & a Crane 404 with wind comin through the windows--oh never mind! :?
I don't think it's possible to use a riddle bar with a Chubby....not that I wouldn't be open to trying...for this year I just want to make sure I keep the thing lit and warm with as little observable hassle as possible until I make sure the Mrs. is on board with our transition to coal. I'll worry about efficiency next year.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 8:41 am

R, observable or not, you've got an outstanding stove there. You'll learn lil tricks as you go along-lotsa CHUBBY info here- I burnt wood for 40 yrs & the simplicity of coal is a God send. Most all complications are user made.( wrong stove, users inability to listen & learn) Have a warm winter my friend-- Mother Nature's not done with us yet. Seems you got a good grip on it all. :)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 8:54 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 7:47 pm
Not everyone gets so many discounts... :)
1- Old age discount..
2- Military discount..
3- Native American discount ..

4- I can't remember this one.
#4 is the Poor Memory Discount :clap:

OP, you should shop around a little. I'm a lot further from the mines than you and I paid less than $200/ton to pick up bulk coal. Check out the coal prices thread.

Anthracite Price Per Ton for the 2017-2018 Heating Season

Riddlerlloyd

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 11:17 am

Thank you for the link to the coal prices thread, it was very informative.
Brian

Vonda
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby born 1980
Other Heating: Gas

Post by Vonda » Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi R,
i am a new chubby owner as well. I havent yet figured out its sweet spot or how to move the air around my home.
I am torn reading this post. Torn between be upset that i cant get coal for such prices, ( I can only get TSC if i can get it) and being happy it's going to be in the 70s here so i wont need any coal.
:clap:

Winter has left Atlanta....I hope.

Riddlerlloyd

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 8:54 am

Hey Vonda, hope you're right about the cold temps. I'm going to assume that TSC is Tractor Supply? They weren't very helpful here in PA but there is probably more local competition. Good luck with your stove, I'm liking mine so far but am already thinking of a bigger one for next year, the Chubby will stay and get moved into the living room....not sure why we needed 2700 sqf of old stone house anyways :)

Happy heating....as an aside to the coal prices I called Lehigh earlier this week and their price is $160/ton loose...I may need to drive a few more min...

Riddlerlloyd

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Fri. Feb. 16, 2018 10:04 am

Ok so I'm now about 3 weeks into use here and so far so good. I have a couple questions for the chubby users out there

1) when I shake the grates I follow Larry's method in the video sharp pulls with stops, all the way in and out, 25-30 cycles. I get some coalsin the pan and can see orange glow through the air holes in the Ash door. I have taken to opening the door and flossing the grate with the poker to get all the loose/gray ash into the pan to where I can see orange over the entire grate...am I going overboard there and just burning more coal by not allowing the ash to insulate a bit? It's working and isn't really messy or time consuming...I can watch the dust be pulled up into the stove by the draft snd i really don't mind it but if I don't need to do it....

2) this is purely curiosity, has anyone removed the loading door in the warm/shoulder months and just had a wood fire in the box with the mpd open? More of an ambience thing than actually functional?

summerski
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr & Sr
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Stove - Blaschak

Post by summerski » Fri. Feb. 16, 2018 10:31 am

I'm sure you could build a nice screen and place it in the loading area and enjoy the fire. Last night it was warm enough that I cleaned out most of the ash from the pot and left a nice layer of burnt coal and burned wood. After I established a nice fire, I closed the MPD and opened the primary to 1/4". 3 nice pieces of Ash burned for nearly 4 hours and kept us toasty whilst watching the olympics.

I occasionally open the bottom door and over-floss the grate, mostly when it's really cold and I want to make absolutely certain I won't lose the fire. Generally, I leave the door closed and poke a few air holes and rake a little. I've only lost one fire this season.

Good Luck,

Will

Vonda
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby born 1980
Other Heating: Gas

Post by Vonda » Fri. Feb. 16, 2018 11:00 am

I thought it was over.

Here is a post that speaks on burning wood in a chubby

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”