Newbie Stove Owner - Chubby

Riddlerlloyd
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil fired steam convectors

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 11:03 am

Just picked up a used Chubby and got it fired up last week. Full size no blower. Averaging about 50 lbs of Lehigh nut per day. 2700 square foot stone house from 1860's. The main/original house is comfortable in the mid - upper 60's only cool/cold room is the added on living room. It's 20x24 w/ 12' ceilings and is through small room/hallway from the main house, hard to get the heat back there. I do have a small fan on the floor blowing cold air out and the ceiling fan on pushing the hot air down. Ran it too hot one night and it went out before we got up Saturday, otherwise running well at apx 400 degrees. Need to shake, clean grate (from bottom) and fill 3 times a day to ensure it won't go out, or maybe i'm just paranoid.

I'll get it figured out, maybe a second stove for the living room......thanks for letting me lurk and learn

Brian

Attachments

IMG_6249.JPG
.JPG | 1.2MB | IMG_6249.JPG
IMG_6251.JPG
.JPG | 691.6KB | IMG_6251.JPG
IMG_6252.JPG
.JPG | 798.5KB | IMG_6252.JPG

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 11:19 am

Nice looking setup and looks like a happy pooch! Chubby may be a little undersized for your stone house, but you can run it 500 all day and it should not hurt it. 3 loads a day sounds right for what your trying to heat with it but at 400 twice a day should work if you are loading it to the top of the liner and dont be afraid to put a little more in the center on top.

Magnetic thermo on top side of stove... It looks like you may have it a little low. It may be hotter than 400 if your using 50 pounds a day and you cant completely trust the gauges. They are more for using as a guideline for comparison day to day.

theres plenty of Chubby info on the site when you have time to read it all.

Riddlerlloyd

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Thanks Warminmn, I moved the thermo to the top of the stove and it is about 50 degrees warmer, around 450. The only thing I'm moderately concerned about is if I'm cleaning the grate too much...maybe I should leave some ashes in the pot?

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 6:31 pm

I have been running mine for 3 seasons now. I feel I have the proper tending routine down now. Larry's film on line is very helpful. I can dump the ash around 5:00 pm, shake, poke and top off around 9:00 pm. I open damper up around 5:00 am, make coffee and shake and re load for the day. It seems to work for me with the Lehigh nut I am burning. Also the ash is very good to spread on ice.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 6:48 pm

You can leave a little ash in there but you dont want several inches.

Bob mentioned Larry's video and if you havent watched it, it is on the Chubby Stove website.

Riddlerlloyd

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Thu. Feb. 08, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks guys. I've watched Larry's video twice so far, and read the manual from the website and even exchanged a few emails with him, he has been very helpful and extremely prompt in his responses.

I think I'm getting it down, I think I'm going to look at a larger stove for the main house and moving the chubby into the large living room for next season, tbd. Thank you for the help so far.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Thu. Feb. 08, 2018 12:36 pm

Riddlerlloyd wrote:
Thu. Feb. 08, 2018 10:38 am
Thanks guys. I've watched Larry's video twice so far, and read the manual from the website and even exchanged a few emails with him, he has been very helpful and extremely prompt in his responses.

I think I'm getting it down, I think I'm going to look at a larger stove for the main house and moving the chubby into the large living room for next season, tbd. Thank you for the help so far.
That is similar to what I did. I use a larger stove in a distant room for the majority of the year. Most years I use my Chubby Jr in the fall, spring and on sub-zero windy days. My Jr sits 4 feet away from me in living room. The system works pretty good. I guess if I had a 75-90K BTU stove in the distant room it would be the only one I would need but oh well. Its nice feeling that heat on the side of my face when its super cold.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Feb. 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Welcome Brian! Nice pictures thanks for posting them. Sounds like you have a handle on your stove. Can't wait to see the next one you get! :lol: ...we need a 12 step program for all us stove addicts! :D

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Fri. Feb. 09, 2018 6:48 am

GM Brian and welcome,

I switched to coal from wood this year and have had similar experience. I run it around 550 F.... typically feed it three times per day and use approx 30 -35 lbs. (not quite a full bag). I usually time my tending around setting things up for the overnight burn. As mentioned, the ashes are great for increasing traction if you get stuck in the driveway. We have a little rise up to the house that can get slick when it thaws and re-freezes. Running two coal stoves together might get pricey at $6 and change per bag. Maybe not so much if you go with bulk.

Riddlerlloyd

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 5:16 pm

No worries Keegs, I live within an hour of the mines here in PA and can pick it up there if needed. I'm getting my Lehigh Nut near the house for around $215 a ton, I shovel it into the bags myself and pay the bulk price. Maybe next year I'll get a bin and pick it up by the truck. Just figuring things out this year. I'm keeping a couple buckets of ashes to use on the drive if needed.

Stay warm all.

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 6:47 pm

That's a good deal on Lehigh. I paid $285.00 bagged and picked up here in CT. It's really good coal, lasts a long time with low ash.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Damn guys, I'm getting my BLASCHAK delivered for $230.00 per. Bulk. I can understand Ct. bein high but $215.00 in central Pa & near ya & you do the work??? Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 7:47 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 7:35 pm
Damn guys, I'm getting my BLASCHAK delivered for $230.00 per. Bulk. I can understand Ct. bein high but $215.00 in central Pa & near ya & you do the work??? Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not everyone gets so many discounts... :)
1- Old age discount..
2- Military discount..
3- Native American discount ..

4- I can't remember this one.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi Brian. Good lookin new stove. It appears your young pooch accepts it too. :D

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 9:08 pm

That'd be nice if it were so. :)
windyhill4.2 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 7:47 pm
Not everyone gets so many discounts... :)
1- Old age discount..
2- Military discount..
3- Native American discount ..

4- I can't remember this one.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”