Newbie Stove Owner - Chubby

Riddlerlloyd
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil fired steam convectors

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Tue. Mar. 13, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks Vonda / Bob. I've got the routine mostly down for most conditions, I've identified my main issues as user error! I've only had a few times where the fire has gone out, two of them because I tried to push it instead of just taking care of it....my new rule is if I say 'it should be good till we get back from dinner' I take care of it before dinner ;-)

Just wish I got a bit more heat output but the education process is just beginning! I'm starting the learning process about the base heaters and burners and owe a big thank you to the members here for indulging my education process before buying another one! Thank you everyone!

Stay warm down there Vonda!

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Mar. 13, 2018 4:52 pm

Bob500 wrote:
Tue. Mar. 13, 2018 10:04 am
Riddler,
I am on my 3rd season with the Chubby. When I first started I was running 3 days or so and needed to clean out and start over. I now seem to have learned how to get much longer runs. I have been running steady since our storm last week. We are getting hammered again today. The more coal I burn, required more shaking and poking. I think I really wasn't clearing the grates enough. I can get 12 hour burns now between tending. It comes down to the proper fuel and air mixture, like an engine. Keep at it and stay warm!
Bob
And like the masters have taught me here Bob, the hotter you run it, the less the burn times. During my "off hours", when I was at work, or bed, I wasn't turning my stove down low enuff, thinking it would be starving for air. Because I wasn't setting my primaries low enff, (even tho I thought they were), it was burning down the coal bed,and ashing up quicker. Because I have some minor air leaks, if I completely shut my primaries, there's "just" enuff air to sustain life, W/O burning down the pot. I now can return after 13-14 hrs, and the top layer is still burning the blues. It took a few years to learn this, but hey, I'm not known for my lit candles. :oops:

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Tue. Mar. 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Very good point. Be sure to cut that air down to slow the burn.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Mar. 13, 2018 6:06 pm

(Nice Charger...but I think we've already done this :))

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Tue. Mar. 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Thanks, tucked away for the winter.

Riddlerlloyd

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Tue. May. 01, 2018 1:07 pm

Well everyone I let the chubby go out last night. It was still warm 48 hours after its final tending. For February, March and April I went through just over a ton and a half of coal. Since it was our primary heat for the majority of our old stone house id say that's pretty good....moving up to a bigger stove for next year. Summer projects include a nicer pipe setup w/ a clean out T and an outdoor coal bin. Hope everyone stays cool and see you in the fall.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. May. 01, 2018 4:24 pm

A ton and a half, for 1/2 the winter in a house almost 3K sq/ft, I'ld say you did pretty good Lloyd. Now for summer time use, have you seen the optional grates for the Chubby that'll accept dry ice? Ask Larry about them. :D

Riddlerlloyd

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Wed. May. 02, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks Joe. I'm not sure about those ice grates...kinda sounds like when I was a youngie on the ship and sent to get the keys to the sea chest....or when you send your wife into the parts store for a can of blinker fluid....

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. May. 02, 2018 4:13 pm

...Or in the USAF, we would be sent looking for a bucket of "K9-P", or a yard of flight line.
And how could you forget trying to be roped into a "yahoo" test, where you were asked to YELL into the front of the jet engine, YELL as loud as you could "YAHOO", and some-one in the back of the engine would be listening, and checking for vibration, as you were yelling. Yeah sure, "I'm gunna do that", I asked my sponsor when I 1st got there. I told him, "Why don't you show me what you mean, sarge" He wasn't very pleased. :lol:
But I'm sure many here have their own entertaining experiences.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”