How much coal in my lcc

joeshek
Hand Fed Coal Stove: gibraltar lcc

Post by joeshek » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 8:58 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 4:59 pm
Nice set up my friend. The blues would look much better about a foot higher...now fill that baby up! Looks like it could hold another bag or so ;)
Can't breath with the heat on there now..lol it's 98

joeshek

Post by joeshek » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 9:01 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 6:16 pm
I like the looks of that stove with the double windows. If you end out enjoying watching the fire like I did when i had a window stove, try some stove sized coal as it is prettier to watch.

In the "just in case" department and since your new with this, in case of an emergency overfire or other situation, the fire can be smothered with sand or ashes if you need to put it out. It shouldnt happen but that will give you something else to worry about :lol:
I love the windows.. so I can use stove coal? I would like to try some .. oohh and by tne way thanks for something else to worry about...lol

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 9:53 pm

joeshek wrote:
Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 8:58 pm
Can't breath with the heat on there now..lol it's 98
Based on the photo of the lit stove and flue pipe of 300 degrees it should be very hot in there...too hot! Your fire is raging and your air setting looks about 50% open. I can not tell if you have a draft device in the flue pipe but in order to calm that beast you must fill it to the top of the bricks, (do this in steps), keeping some flame exposed while you load. When you are done loading coal and the blue flames are well established cut the primary air way back to a sliver and watch the temp of the stove and pipe fall.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 10:32 pm

If you try stove coal, bank it some with it higher in the back so the color really fills the glass. A low slow fire and those big chunks will be red/orange on the edges, black in the middle, not too mention the blue. Quite pretty.

joeshek

Post by joeshek » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 10:39 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 9:53 pm
Based on the photo of the lit stove and flue pipe of 300 degrees it should be very hot in there...too hot! Your fire is raging and your air setting looks about 50% open. I can not tell if you have a draft device in the flue pipe but in order to calm that beast you must fill it to the top of the bricks, (do this in steps), keeping some flame exposed while you load. When you are done loading coal and the blue flames are well established cut the primary air way back to a sliver and watch the temp of the stove and pipe fall.
will do... thanks for the advice

joeshek

Post by joeshek » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 10:41 pm

joeshek wrote:
Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 10:39 pm
will do... thanks for the advice
i do have a baro on the pipe also.. i thought it was a bit hot on the stove and in the room.. i didn't realize by putting more coal in and cutting the air back it would do that.. i guess that's why it went out this morning before i had a chance to shake it and addd more coal

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 6:05 am

joeshek wrote:
Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 10:41 pm
i do have a baro on the pipe also.. i thought it was a bit hot on the stove and in the room.. i didn't realize by putting more coal in and cutting the air back it would do that.. i guess that's why it went out this morning before i had a chance to shake it and addd more coal
Welcome to the learning curve my friend. You will get there if it kills us :lol:

joeshek

Post by joeshek » Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 8:49 am

michaelanthony wrote:
Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 6:05 am
Welcome to the learning curve my friend. You will get there if it kills us :lol:
lol... :lol: and what a curve it is!!! again this morning almost out.. I'm trying to get this right as i have been off work the last few days.. i need to get it right because i work 12 hours and i go back tomorrow!

joeshek

Post by joeshek » Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 1:07 pm

still cant get this thing adjusted... its either half way out or 100 degrees in here...
tried loading it up and putting the draft door totally closed.. still way hot!
what am i doing wrong?

joeshek

Post by joeshek » Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 1:18 pm

20180227_131029.jpg
.JPG | 309.5KB | 20180227_131029.jpg
20180227_131035.jpg
.JPG | 228.6KB | 20180227_131035.jpg
20180227_131023.jpg
.JPG | 431.8KB | 20180227_131023.jpg
Some pics of what I'm talking about

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 3:12 pm

Perhaps you can hatch chickens there as thats a nice temp for it :lol:

Did you check the bottom door gasket for leaks? its called the dollar bill test. If you close a dollar bill in the bottom door all the way around it the bill should stay put or pull out firmly. If it pulls out real easy you need a new bottom door gasket as it is leaking. If you have that slide closed all the way, it should still let a little air thru but not a lot.

The fire can look like its out and not be. if you open the bottom door and see a glow it is doing fine, just idling along.

does that stove have any other air intakes on the back side? A thermostatic controlled one?

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 3:13 pm

A few questions: Do you have the banking bar? If so I would install it or them, and then fill the stove. Do you have a manometer? Is you baro swinging open at all? Is there a metal flap air intake in the back of the stove? If so the chain may need to be adjusted so the flap is closed when you stove is hot enough.

Hey wm...you just beat me, do you ever sleep? :lol:

edit: that stove is big enough to hold plenty of coal for your 12 hour work shift, just need to get it dialed in. Please post a picture of the stove after you shake it down and load it. If it is only half full it will get very hot for a while then ash up quickly because there isn't enough coal in it to slow it down.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”