Where do i take the temp?

CRAZYBOBDS
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Heitzer 503
Other Heating: Oil

Post by CRAZYBOBDS » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 12:05 pm

Rookie question. I have a Hitzer 503 insert. It’s been cold and it’s been having some issues keeping the temp in the house up. I don’t think I’m running I.T as hot as i can. But I’m not sure where i should be taking the temperature. Do i take It on the top surface. I get temps up there ranging anywhere from 220F to 410 F. The front air vents are like 180F.

How hot can i run this? Also where is the best place to take the temperature. Do i just pick the highest consistent place and use that? Thanks. Bob

CRAZYBOBDS
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Heitzer 503
Other Heating: Oil

Post by CRAZYBOBDS » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 12:05 pm

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 12:09 pm

I don't have a heitzer but most stove owners will take temp just above the load door. I have run my Harman at 600* with no issues. Im sure you would be safe to do the same

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 12:36 pm

Because of the double wall construction it is hard to get an absolute reading. Let experience and coal consumed be the guide. Temperature readings are relative to consumption, so anyplace that reflects that is good.

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi Bob
I also have a 503 and I take my temp. readings just above the load door to the right (as your facing the stove) of the damper handle. I think that it is not double walled there so the reading may be truer. It's not so much the trueness of the reading but the change up and down that is most important. With the cold weather we have been having here in upstate NY I have been running between 450 to 600 degrees. When pushing these stoves during extreme cold weather it is important to really clear ash as completely as possible. I have been doing the riddle method and am amazed at how much hotter at lower ash door settings it burns. Also it will hold a set temp. for longer periods of time with no need for adjustment. I'm including a technique link that you may find helpful. Also after clearing ash this way minimal grate shaking is required since you have removed most of the ash already. The gentle shaking just evenly distributes and settles the coal. Less likely to dump the fire and less wear and tear on the grate end and shaker handle. I have replaced the straight poker discussed in the link with a custom riddle tool made for me by a member of the site Chris Diveto www.cdindustriesny.com.
Good Luck
Gian4
Post by Gian4 - Reflections on Hitzer 503 Insert

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Gian4 wrote:
Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 3:32 pm
I have been doing the riddle method and am amazed at how much hotter at lower ash door settings it burns. Also it will hold a set temp. for longer periods of time with no need for adjustment.
Yes, the thread on riddling is long but well worth readling. ;)
Post by Lightning - Riddle Method for Ash Clearing
Stirring around in the coal bed seems to compact it and lots of new coal falls from the hopper. I think that -- having more total mass of coal burning in the firebox -- accounts for the hotter temperatures and longer period before the temp falls off from the set point. I have found after riddling that I have to set my bi-metal thermostat back by one or two increments to avoid overheating the house.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”