Trouble maintaining low fires when temps are above 30

Calebrez
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Royall 8095 NS Indoor wood/coal furnace

Post by Calebrez » Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi everyone i have a Royall 8095 NS Indoor wood/coal furnace. I have had it for about 3 years and have always had a issue with maintaining low fires when the temps get semi warm around 30 or above. I get alot of clinkers and whatnot. After doing some research and reading on the site ( Main reason i joined ) i think i am not loading it up enough? When the temps are lower in the 20's expecially i have no problem maintaining a fire for more than 5-6 days using the 12-12 shaking/loading i stock it up at night 6 pm and in the morning before work 6-7am. Just looking to get some info from all of the pros out there ;)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 3:35 pm

Nice. Welcome to the coal board.

Some questions. You said maintaining a coal fire for 5-6 days. What happens after that? You have to clean out and start over? Hopefully we can fix that. There shouldn't be any reason it won't run for a couple months or all winter even, without losing the fire

Clinkers are usually caused from running it too hot with high iron content coal.

As far as running low and slow, a draft gauge is your friend. You might just be losing draft, and there are solutions for that too

got some pictures?

Calebrez

Post by Calebrez » Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 4:11 pm

I appreciate the input! I will take some pics when i get home and post them. I have a draft damper on a rod that i can close or open that is built into the furnace and a thermostatically controlled forced air fan that pushes air into the firebox when the thermostat calls for heat.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 4:46 pm

The V shaped firebox can be problematic. Make sure you fill it to the top of the firebrick every time you service it.

Topher75

Post by Topher75 » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 12:38 pm

@Calebrez - Have you ever burned wood in the Royall 8095? Looking at buying the 8095, however was planing on burning wood.

Calebrez

Post by Calebrez » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Topher75 wrote:
Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 12:38 pm
@Calebrez - Have you ever burned wood in the Royall 8095? Looking at buying the 8095, however was planing on burning wood.
Yes i actually burn primarily with wood and only burn with coal when it gets super cold. I have access to alot of free firewood so i burn 70-80% wood. The only thing i do different is pull the Baro and put a cap on it and adjust the draft damper. But it does great burning both. Currently i have been burning with coal for the last 2 weeks non stop with no issues. My issue was that i was not filling the firebox up with coal enough. Once i filled it all the way up it has been a champ! Overall it has been a great stove/furnace and I would buy one again. The only thing is I would prolly get the next size up as it has a little bigger firebox and i could leave some bigger pieces. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”