Starting coal stove hand fired

CRAZYBOBDS
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Heitzer 503
Other Heating: Oil

Post by CRAZYBOBDS » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 7:26 pm

Hi, quick question. I start my stove with matchlite. I know... cheating. But then i start to layer nut coal on top, an inch or so at a time till it’s glowing. Then another inch, till it’s glowing. I have about 5 inches deep glowing but another 8 inches tonget to the bottom of the hopper. Do i do small layers the hole time?

Or do i just start piling the coal in at some point to raise the level then fill the hopper?

It’s a hitzer 503. Thanks. Bob.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 7:56 pm

I would fill another 4 inches leaving a little exposed glowing coals, when this catches load another 4 inches, have a cup of coffee then fill the hopper.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 8:06 pm

You're not cheatin with matchlight, just bein smart! :) When I've got a good 6" RED layer, I just do 5 gall. pails through the hopper till full & I'm good for the heating season. Why are you restarting so much?

unklechuckles19
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by unklechuckles19 » Fri. Feb. 02, 2018 9:49 am

I'll load coal through the front door until I can't easily get it around the hopper boot anymore, then I'll load from the top. Make sure when you are loading through the hopper you push fresh coal all the way to the back of the stove. If you're just dumping in the hopper, the back of the hopper and baffle plate are exposed to open flames all the time and I've seen a couple wear out quicker. Take a shovel or poker and get that fresh coal as far back into the firebox as you can.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”