Scored a Puff Back on Video

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:47 am
Yeah that's part of my tending routine. I leave the Ash door open until the blue ladies show up, let them dance a few minutes, then close it. It's all part of the recovery after adding a fresh load.
ditto

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 9:10 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 2:10 pm
Neat!

Good job catching it on video. And, it's a good video, not like one of those Bigfoot videos. This is one of those things you hear about but never see.

I guess I've been lucky. In all the years I have been burning coal in all kinds of contraptions, I have never had a puff.

-Don
Don, Ya want to be careful when like your coal has been bridged a while and your fire gets real low then you bust up the bridging and it takes awhile for the auger to finally start dropping a bunch of raw coal on top of that fire that now has had a long enough time to get really, really hot.

That there is the Makings of the Perfect Storm and a BOOM!!! You made it this time but be careful when playing catch-up. A different coal or some other variable may not let you slide next time. :)

Your 26 minute video recently might of been a "One UP" compared to Lee's little show today. ;)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 9:34 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 9:10 pm
Your 26 minute video recently might of been a "One UP" compared to Lee's little show today.
Uh huh, yeah... I see what yer doin and I know what yer up to :lol: you stirrin the pot a little, aren't ya..... :mrgreen:

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:00 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 9:10 pm
Don, Ya want to be careful when like your coal has been bridged a while and your fire gets real low then you bust up the bridging and it takes awhile for the auger to finally start dropping a bunch of raw coal on top of that fire that now has had a long enough time to get really, really hot.

That there is the Makings of the Perfect Storm and a BOOM!!! You made it this time but be careful when playing catch-up. A different coal or some other variable may not let you slide next time. :)

Your 26 minute video recently might of been a "One UP" compared to Lee's little show today. ;)
Hummm, hot fire, lots of new coal equals BOOM!

I make sure there is always flame in there. That way you are always burning gasses off, instead of all at once.

-Don

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:22 pm

I am talking very low hot fire getting buried in 7-8 inches of raw coal from abnormal situation like today's video.

As you know the BOOM comes when the aquastat shuts off the fan and the "Stage" has been already set.

This is another case for the 2nd ashing motor with a bypass switch in order to control the auger on or off separately from the fan. :)

If you had flames the whole time while auger dumped that much coal on top of your hot fire you are a very Lucky Man.

But you don't have to take my word for it. :)

:idea: What I would do given your setup is open lid on transfer head and scoop feed some much needed coal in to actively burning and actively ashing fire to build a little thicker fire, all the while waiting for the auger to catch up and take over feeding.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Why was the flame in the ash pit yellow? I don;t think it was a gas explosion, but the force of the puff in the firebox blew minute particles of coal dust through the burning mass which then ignited.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 4:38 am

franco b wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 11:24 pm
Why was the flame in the ash pit yellow? I don;t think it was a gas explosion, but the force of the puff in the firebox blew minute particles of coal dust through the burning mass which then ignited.
Oh wow, good point Richard, it was yellow. I think you are right about the dust. It's interesting because in the slower versions of the ignition you see a blue flame start and it seems to head for the topside of the fire box. Unfortunately I didn't have the smoke plate propped up so you can't really see what happened up there. Anyways, it appears to me that a pool of volatile gas up high in the fire box ignited first forcing the pocket of gasses underneath it to take a path down thru the coal bed. On it's way it picked up some coal dust from the top layer of coal and pushed it thru the hottest part of the fire then the dust ignited showing the yellow flame. At the end, the top of the fuel bed finally ignited.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 7:46 am

I can force the Stewart to do the same thing but have never filmed it in the dark.

+1 on the yellow “gasses” ..... on the Crawford #2 I could force a puff back too but the gasses would not come out the ashpit, they would come out of the load door secondary vents, and they were blue. It looked like 4 propane torch jets🤪

CorrosionMan
Location: SE Ohio - Carrolton/Kilgore/Perrysville -- inbetween
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82 FA
Coal Size/Type: Reading NUT 40lb plastic bags
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by CorrosionMan » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 10:18 pm

Meh, I've had bigger farts.

CorrosionMan

Post by CorrosionMan » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 10:22 pm

And to one up that, last week I over did anshake down and pulled a full ash pan out that was half loaded with red. Quickly dumped it into the ash pail and put on lid(don't like extra dust you know). 30 or so seconds later... Lifted the lid to look and PUFF.... Hence the first post about larger farts... But it wasn't all just gas.

nickdearing88
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS AquaGem 1100
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk pea/nut
Other Heating: LP Boiler

Post by nickdearing88 » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Nice capture Lee! My Amish coal supplier swears by leaving an open red corner when loading to help ignite the gases more easily. I've been doing so since and haven't had any puff backs in my furnace.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Thu. Feb. 15, 2018 5:03 pm

I caught another puff back on video last night. It was a little more exciting than the last one. Here it is at 1/16th speed.

CorrosionMan

Post by CorrosionMan » Thu. Feb. 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Little bit better.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Feb. 15, 2018 7:28 pm

AWESOME! 😎

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Feb. 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Think I'll sit in front of my HITZER for a few hrs. & try for a puff back & take some pix with my KODAK--BROWNIE. Pix to come. .>)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”