Harman Magnafire coal insert

JBS
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire insert
Coal Size/Type: Hard Nut
Other Heating: Heat pump

Post by JBS » Fri. Jan. 19, 2018 2:54 pm

Anyone have a direct connect collar for an older Harman Coal insert?

I own an older Harman Magnafire coal insert, serial #MFI 146, older than the Elite series. Internally I believe it is the same as a Mark III. After this season I would like to replace some parts and would like the manual, I'm hoping to obtain one from Alternative Heating who took over the coal side of Harman. Also, I would like to do a direct connect rather than the way it was originally installed so I will need the collar that allows the direct connect. Questions have come up with my home owners insurance company. It's 30 years old and still working great!
Thanks for any info,
Jim

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 19, 2018 5:16 pm

JBS wrote:
Fri. Jan. 19, 2018 2:54 pm
Also, I would like to do a direct connect rather than the way it was originally installed so I will need the collar that allows the direct connect. Questions have come up with my home owners insurance company.
I'm just curious, what is a direct connect and how was your insert originally installed?

JBS

Post by JBS » Fri. Jan. 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Back when it was installed they just shoved it in the fireplace with insulation around the shroud to seal it up. I've been doing the same thing when I pull it out to clean. We always had a great draft - but now 30 years later I find that it's not up to code and it's creating an issue with home insurance coverage. The stove drafts out of a rectangular hole on the top, very close to back and I believe the direct connect sits on the top of the stove & goes into a round shape to connect a short stainless pipe, enough to get uo to second flue tile.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Jan. 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Is any Magna Fire Insert still in current production at AHS?

I looked, and , No.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 19, 2018 6:41 pm

Ah, I understand.
Thank you JBS. Perhaps you could fabricate something, or maybe someone here on the coal board could.

Fat King Coal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Elite insert
Coal Size/Type: Pea, nut, stove
Other Heating: Pellet insert- Kozi Baywin insert

Post by Fat King Coal » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 7:51 pm

I understand exactly what you are saying, i just picked up the exact same model i think. Still has the "stove" ventilation pipe at the top middle on the inside but sealed over, right? It has almost the same everything as the Magnafire Elite, minus the decorative tiles and the angled top steel piece. No documentation that i could find really, minus a few pictures and older manuals. i want to start restoration once i get the monster out of my truck , so im hoping others know more. Ive seen other people say they get that adapter from ace and i think i remember seeing one on an unrelated pellet stove trip.

JBS

Post by JBS » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 9:06 am

I added a photo of my Harman above by member information, is your new stove the same? If so, I think you'll like it, ours is 30 years old and still cooking! This spring I need to take care of the shaker handle and for insurance reasons, do a direct connect to the fireplace flue. The outlet is in the center top rear of the stove.

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 12:24 pm

I used to have a Harman insert and I had what you are talking about. Unfortunately for you I sold it with the stove. It is a flat piece that has a tongue on the front of it which helps you to reach in there and pull it tight. It is a 7" oval outlet connection and you will need a 7" piece of oval flex to connect to the stove and cram up the chimney to the first smoke tile. I then smeared furnace cement around the collar since there is no physical hard connection to the stove. It just sits on top of the stove at the exhaust outlet. They are hard to find and expect to get bent over a haybale when you find one. I found mine at a place called Drapers Stove Outlet in Conestoga, PA. You could look him up and give him a call to see if he has any. Also Keggeries stoves in Bernville, PA or North Forge Home heating in Lebanon, PA. There is also a guy that buy and refinishes stoves in Red Lion, PA that may have one. That guys business is called All Season Lawn and Landscaping

JBS

Post by JBS » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 12:56 pm

BlackBetty06: I live in Lancaster County as well - Small world! Once I shut down my stove for the season I'll be calling your suggested vendors. Thanks :)

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 6:47 pm

JBS wrote:
Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 12:56 pm
BlackBetty06: I live in Lancaster County as well - Small world! Once I shut down my stove for the season I'll be calling your suggested vendors. Thanks :)
i usta live in lanc co. 60 years worth then retired and moved to GOD'S country..luv it lanc co. went to $hit...

BlackBetty06
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 8:07 am

Buffalo Bob your not kidding. I would love to move out to the mountains of Sommerset county some day. JBS what part of the county are you in? Who delivers your coal?

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 8:14 am

JBS its going to be an even smaller world if you tell me that your heat pump is a carrier unit that was installed by F.L.C. and you live off of Rt 23. I think I may have worked in your house the more I think about it and look at your picture.

JBS

Post by JBS » Thu. Feb. 08, 2018 3:43 pm

That's not me off 23 - I thought FLS was an enviromental solutions comany in lancaster??? This year my anthracite was delivered by Weaverland in New Holland, burning good with good ash. Previous years I used Country Meadows Jeddo anthracite, also good burning but a lttle more expensive.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Fri. Feb. 09, 2018 7:35 am

JBS wrote:
Thu. Feb. 08, 2018 3:43 pm
That's not me off 23 - I thought FLS was an enviromental solutions comany in lancaster??? This year my anthracite was delivered by Weaverland in New Holland, burning good with good ash. Previous years I used Country Meadows Jeddo anthracite, also good burning but a lttle more expensive.
Your stove and fireplace looked very familiar. I no longer work there. FLC is a mechanical contractor with a service department. I work for Johnson Controls now but FLC environmental was a little division they started that was for direct exchange geothermal systems called Earth to Air units. They were total pieces of garbage. They thought they could deny physics with them. Westinghouse now owns ETA. Id put it a 1940s oil furnace in and leave my windows open before Id let someone put an ETA in my house lol.

I have not bought from Weaverland. DId they say where there coal is coming from? I use country meadows and was getting Stockton nut from them but they said this year Blashak coal tested better and it was cheaper so I got some of that and its burning way better than last year.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Feb. 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Wow, there is a coal dealer that makes coal choices based on more than just price!!!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”