DAKA 521

cdindustries
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Daka 521
Coal Size/Type: stove

Post by cdindustries » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 4:29 pm

The link to the daka store is correct. They do work, but only in the area where the discs are. I had issues with the perimeter of the grates ashing up, and choking the burn.
I did buy the frames for the woodchuck grates as well. The new system does require a fair amount of modification. I had to mill out the slots in the grates, fabricate a cap for the frames, make a link bar, and fabricate a shaker handle on sthe furnace itself.
If you are interested, i can put together a price for everything that is needed.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 5:00 pm

Thanks for that info. I just bought a hot blast last night. I was just wondering if I should upgrade the grates. They look kind of restrictive. I’ll be burning bit So I’m looking at options. I’m not sure those grates and frame would fit but I sure like them. Guess I should have bought the daka but there was a managers special on the hotblast.

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the wood chuck grates and frame?

cdindustries

Post by cdindustries » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 6:35 pm

I dont have the exact dimensions on hand. My furnace in at my place of business. I can measure in the morning, but i am almost certain the daka fire box is much wider and shorter than the hotblast.
There is a thread on this site by forum member lightning titled riddle method for clearing ash. I suggest taking a look at the grate system he has installed. It does away with the shaker grates all together. I made grate sections and the riddle bar for his furnace.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Yes I read his thread. That’s what kind of led me to looking at grates. I have the 1357 so the bed just has one shaker in it and not two like his did. I may go with a flat grate. I like your share grate set up though. I like the secondary tubes too. Do you run those to the outside of the stove?

cdindustries

Post by cdindustries » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 8:17 pm

As far as I know, the weakest link in the hotblast grates is where the two connect. If you have a single grate it shouldnt be an issue. If you would like more open area,i can machine your existjng grate to give more air and ash clearing. I will measure my grates in the morning and see if they qill fir sideways in the hotblast.

cdindustries

Post by cdindustries » Mon. Nov. 04, 2019 7:01 pm

I just measured my grates at 13 3/4" wide x 23" long. The woodchuck grates were a few inches longer in both directions, but I machined them down to fit my firebox. Hope this info helps. Forgot to mention that yes, the secondary tubes exit the front face of the stove to the outside. Let me know if you have any other questions.

fig

Post by fig » Mon. Nov. 04, 2019 7:13 pm

Great thanks

PDesrow

Post by PDesrow » Sun. Mar. 19, 2023 5:12 pm

I have the same DAKA 521 wood/coal stove that was given to me years ago. I have it in my basement tied to my furnace/duct work. I have only used wood in the stove but would like to see if I can convert it to use anthracite coal as well. I don't have access to, nor do I know how to use, a welder but i would be able to cut and drill. I have an old house that has a small coal room in the basement. To small for the amount of wood I need for the stove but would be more than enough for coal.

Would I need any other parts from DAKA like the Spinner knob door, shaker rod parts?
Did you fab all the upgrade parts?
Would you have be willing to share a list of the parts you bought and some guidance of all the fab you did?

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Mar. 19, 2023 6:18 pm

PDesrow wrote:
Sun. Mar. 19, 2023 5:12 pm
I have the same DAKA 521 wood/coal stove that was given to me years ago. I have it in my basement tied to my furnace/duct work. I have only used wood in the stove but would like to see if I can convert it to use anthracite coal as well. I don't have access to, nor do I know how to use, a welder but i would be able to cut and drill. I have an old house that has a small coal room in the basement. To small for the amount of wood I need for the stove but would be more than enough for coal.

Would I need any other parts from DAKA like the Spinner knob door, shaker rod parts?
Did you fab all the upgrade parts?
Would you have be willing to share a list of the parts you bought and some guidance of all the fab you did?
This thread is fairly old, fig is still here, haven't seen the other guy around. Go ahead and start a.new.thread.

cdindustries

Post by cdindustries » Sun. Mar. 19, 2023 8:44 pm

The other guy is still here :D I will track down the part numbers of the stock items I used and post them in this thread.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Mar. 20, 2023 8:42 am

cdindustries wrote:
Sun. Mar. 19, 2023 8:44 pm
The other guy is still here :D I will track down the part numbers of the stock items I used and post them in this thread.
You must be very quiet. Lol. Remember, pics or it didn't happen.

PDesrow

Post by PDesrow » Thu. May. 04, 2023 10:46 am

Any update on the parts used to fab the upgrades to you DAKA 521?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”