replacing broken glass in gibraltar lcc door

joeshek
Hand Fed Coal Stove: gibraltar lcc

Post by joeshek » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 10:56 pm

hi guys
my friend helping move my Gibraltar llc broken the glass in the left door..
i went to try to take the screws out that hold it in but one snapped off even after i had it soaking over night with wd40
any ideas on how to get the screws out with out breaking anymore?
I'm going to replace both glass but now i don't want to try to remove any more screws
any help or ideas would be great
i attached a picture of the door
thanks guys

Attachments

doorglass.jpg
.JPG | 315.2KB | doorglass.jpg

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Just bite the bullet and realize you are going to have to drill and tap new holes.

Use the plate the screws are in as a drilling guide. You need to determine the size of the old screws by getting one out if you can. Probably 8/32 or 10/32 or 10/24, or pick a size

You need the right size tap drill plus the tap. A bottoming tap probably would be best to reach the bottom of the hole which a tapered tap can't do. both would be best, unless the hole is deep enough for the taper tap, which is easier to use.

joeshek
Hand Fed Coal Stove: gibraltar lcc

Post by joeshek » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 10:03 am

thank you..
i wonder if the local stove guy would do it,, I'm not that mechanically inclined. lol
i don't wan to do more damage

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 10:12 am

joeshek wrote:
Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 10:03 am
thank you..
i wonder if the local stove guy would do it,, I'm not that mechanically inclined. lol
i don't wan to do more damage
Your local machine shop will likely do it for you.

WD40 = Water Displacement formula # 40...

Can't figure why anyone uses a water displacement product for rust penetration... :what:

Hotinhobbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar CFS
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Nut
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by Hotinhobbie » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 10:29 pm

I bought a Gibralter CFS few weeks ago off craigslist for heating my garage. It had broken glass that cut the firebox draft down so I had to replace it. I wanted steady heat, tired off wood smoke etc, and after trolling this site a Gibraltar was to be my next addition to the garage. Mind you I’m mechanically inclined so wasn’t scared to tackle the glass job. It can be done and here’s how I did it to keep the snapping of screws to a minimum.

Start with a hot to touch door, take it off a hot stove. Soak all the screws with rust penetrating spray, I happened to a have a can of Popular Mechanics spray so that’s what I used. All but two screws backed right out after soaking 10-15 minutes. The two bottom center ones where in there rusted solid from fly ash laying in there, and they snapped off. Yes drill them out. Center punch close to middle off screw as posible. Drill with a 1/16 bit , or what ever fits the easy out your going to use. Must drill all the way to the bottom of the snapped off screw. They wouldn’t budge until I put a hole all the way through the screw. This allows the penitrating spray to get to the problem at the bottom of the hole. You will know when your there either buy deapth of drillbit or when you hit the very hard cast iron. Stop drilling, start soaking and heating up the door again. I set it on top my burning stove to heat it up and kept soaking with spray. I used a reverse twist easy out and was able to get both screws out and save the threads in the door. Yes this was a 2 hour job but All is well now, just nuther day at the office. Good luck!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”