Flue size

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 6:37 am

The Feds want a catalytic converter in woodstoves, without one its coal only.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 10:54 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 6:37 am
The Feds want a catalytic converter in woodstoves, without one its coal only.
For wood stoves...that isn't exactly true is it?

From the research I've done on wood stoves over the last two years you can purchase EPA approved wood stoves with secondary air tubes, those with catalitic converters, as well as some of the new "hybrid" wood stoves that utilize BOTH 2ndary air tubes AND a converter. A new wood stove has to have at least 2ndary air tubes to reburn the wood smoke, at a minimum. It is NOT required for all wood stoves made today to have a catalytic converter.

So, I'm not exactly sure why some coal stove companies can't list their stoves as duel fuel. The Comfortmax 75 stove has 2ndary air tubes, so it should still burn wood just fine. http://messickstove.com/products/ds-machine-stove ... index.html

I would like to find out why the label had to change. I think that Harman/Legacy had to do the same.

Here's a link to wood stoves with 2ndary air, AND hybrids that use both 2ndary air re-burn tubes as well as a converter. This is just one manufacturer, and there are a few others that utilize both. http://woodstove.com/

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Jan. 26, 2018 7:04 am

About half way down on this website link there is a chart (Table C-9-A) with guidelines for minimum "effective" chimney diameter based upon the appliances maximum input BTUH rating. Pay close attention to your lateral run length. I believe (though I'm not certain) that this chart allows for (compensates for) the pressure drop of 2 x 90 degree flue pipe bends between the appliance and the chimney. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that (for 6" flue pipe) for each additional 90 degree elbow (above a count of 2) you must add 10 additional lateral feet to your actual measured lateral feet, and for extra 45 degree elbows (for 6" flue pipe) you must add 5 additional lateral feet to your actual measured lateral feet.

https://inspectapedia.com/chimneys/Chimney_Flue_S ... ements.php

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea if any of this information is correct, so take it with a grain of salt, and use all due diligence to seek professional guidance as to your systems actual requirements.

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 3:18 pm

You should be ok venting your stove into a 12x12. That is how I have my 50-93 hooked up. My chimney is about 20’ tall. The only time I can occasionally have an issue is if it’s bitter cold and windy outside. My chimney unlike yours is on the outside of my house and can get cold causing my draft to lower. Shutting the blower off solves this for me as it let’s more heat up the chimney. Occasionally it can pull really hard to and I have to slam the MPD shut to keep draft at -.05. It has more of a learning curve than a properly sized chimney but you should have no problems. Hook it up and stoke it up!

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Fri. Dec. 27, 2019 3:54 pm

Curios how the comfort max is working for you? I'm considering buying one to replace my woodstove in my house

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Dec. 27, 2019 7:31 pm

Should not be a problem...... Like everyone else said, Hook it up...

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”