Dust and fines into something useful?

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sun. Sep. 23, 2018 6:44 pm

Den, I am not laughing, but I did look up the contents of cement--and the ingredients are not flammable. The residue does not clog things up? (Obviously, any combustible glue would be a problem...)
Den034071 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 10, 2018 2:34 pm
Don't laugh about following .Mix one part Portland cement an 4 parts fines add water keep stiff .I use 4inch by 4 inch margarine plastic containersan also one pound empty coffee cans for my forms .Note your fireboxmust be able to handle this size Coal Cookie .Burns just like Stove Coal .Patent Pending . jack

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 1:54 pm

For me it is all just coal I burn it as I go and it never amounts to enough to bother anything.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 3:10 pm

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Sun. Sep. 23, 2018 6:44 pm
Den, I am not laughing, but I did look up the contents of cement--and the ingredients are not flammable. The residue does not clog things up? (Obviously, any combustible glue would be a problem...)
The mix is roughly 80% coal fines and the Portland cement is only a "binder". So yes, Den's "coal cookies" will burn. As for clogging there isn't enough Portland cement to increase the ash enough to clog.

I've done the same using baking flour, but gave up because it's more work than needed. I just put the fines in a softball sized clump in the middle of the firebed as if they were a big piece of coal and it burns ok. The trick is don't spread the fines all over the firebed or that will smoother, or at least greatly retard, the fire's ability to breath.

Adding fines to the firebed is also a good way to slow the stove down when really cold weather makes for a too-strong draft. So I keep a 5 gal bucket of fines for when we get into below zero temps and I see the mano readings are getting higher even with primary damper open a sliver and the MPD fully closed. It's a good way to gain back that heat that is in the fines and not have to open check dampers or baro that robs some warm room air to lower the draft strength.

If I get more fines than I feel like dealing with in the stoves, such as every few years cleaning out the bottom of the coal bin, they can be spread out over the lawn and it won't harm anything.

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”