Chubbys second season

Dngtig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby

Post by Dngtig » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 9:20 am

I purchased my coal chubby last Feb and had a little bit of a learning curve in operating it but with numerous changes things are going well.

We replaced some old drafty windows with beautiful French style sliders which added more glass but eliminated the wind from blowing off the lake through my house. An improvement even if I didn't burn coal at all. My home for the most part is open from floor to roof with a bedroom loft. So getting that heat back down to the main level has been a bit of a challenge. Between the ceiling fan and a box fan it's been manageable but improvements are still needed to even the house out. Downstairs level is 67 and upstairs loft is 75. Which is too warm for my fiance. Then again 67 is too warm for her 1/2 the time. Trying to stay ahead of her heat flashes is a hell of a challenge but that's another topic that I don't need to get into.

The biggest change I made is not buying coal from TSC and getting it from my local feed supply store. I have been burning Blaschak coal through this subzero period and it burns almost completely unlike TSC coal which I had to sift out the large chunks of coal from the ash pan. I'm paying more per bag of coal but it's well worth it. My girl says it doesn't stink like the TSC stuff when filling it up.
So the short of it is the Coal Chubby has been up to the task running somewhere between 500-575*f when home and closer to 400*f when away. Measured with an infrared.
The weather forecast ahead calls for temperatures getting into the 40 + . So things will certainly need to be dialed back to compensate.
Am I the only one that doesn't want this weather to go?
I'm contemplating purchasing the full view door from Larry but is it worth the $150 investment?
Let me know your views.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 11:22 am

Hey Dngtig

I'm still on that curve. I can usually keep the Chubby humming along.... but it does go off the rails sometimes... usually it's an ash buildup. I just switched from wood to coal. I bought a used Chubby last year and just made the switch in Sept. I'm heating an 800 sq ft two story home. One room downstairs, 2 bedrooms and a bath upstairs. The walls are insulated but I haven't put anything up in the attic yet. New windows and doors.
The local (Houlton) TSC sells Kimmel. I also have some Blashack but I can't say I can tell much difference between them. The Blashack is a few cents more I think.
It was -4 here this morning. The dog's feet are getting raw. I'm looking forward to some moderation.
If I had the Chubby in a living space I'd consider the fancy door. You can buy a used Chubby for that much though. I'm thinking of upgrading my firepot (my firepot has no bottom center pin) and I might spring for the ash catcher.

Cheers.. Chris K.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 12:30 pm

As far as the $150 for the fire view door.... it is doubtful that it will make the stove more manageable or more efficient , but,if the stove is sitting where you are constantly looking at it,there is no way that anyone else can decide a price for your pleasure gained by the fire view door. :)

Dngtig

Post by Dngtig » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Keegs,
I failed to mention I own a heating & air conditioning business so weather extremes are a gift from above.
I have the newer style grate but no ash catcher. I was thinking that it's just as easy to clean the ash off the brick underneath the stove then clean the ash catcher. I think it would look nice on the front with the see through door though.
Windyhill,
The fancy door would be just for my viewing pleasure but when the current door works perfect and I only paid $300 for the stove to begin with it doesn't seem like a prudent purchase. I do stare at the stove often but that's just because I'm in awe of this little heat machine. I think I would have to see one in person to make the decision.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Have you viewed the Chubby video,done by the owner,Larry Trainer ?
This may give you that "see it in person" effect you are looking for.

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 6:19 pm

20180107_112853.jpg
.JPG | 363.6KB | 20180107_112853.jpg
i purchased my Chubby used 2 years ago. I added the fire view door and really enjoy it. I like to see that warm glow in the night especially when it's - 8 degrees out. I am still amazed at how coal burns. I almost bought a small wood stove before stumbling on a Chubby on the web. It's a great American made heat machine!

Logs
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Mon. Jan. 08, 2018 1:44 am

I bought a new chubby about 4 years ago, I have the window in the door and think it really improved the look of the stove, the ash catcher also looks good. But it doesn’t help much in my opinion. My stove is in the basement. If I had it in the living area I would definitely have both options. I still get ashes all over the floor with the ash catcher but maybe I’m not as careful as I could be. It is a great stove there’s no way around it. As for the wife’s hot flashes, my wife put soy nuts on her salads and just ate them plain like peanuts. She said it really helped with the hot flashes. When she did get a hot flash , she would rip off her shirt and bra for the cooling effect. I really enjoyed that!

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Mon. Jan. 08, 2018 6:54 pm

The fire door is very nice. Just get it, enjoy, and don't look back.

Logs

Post by Logs » Mon. Jan. 08, 2018 7:46 pm

My stove is in my basement, that is the door I use to enter the house in the winter time, keep the mess of wet and muddy clothes downstairs. I really like the fire view. Many evenings when I come in from work and get undressed I turn off the lights and put on some good blues music, Peter Green or Chicken Shack and gaze at the orange glow as I have a beer and unwind. I would say to get it . You got a damn good deal on the stove . The fire view door will increase the value of your stove.

Attachments

Redburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby jr.Large chubby
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: Jotul oslo

Post by Redburn » Wed. Jan. 10, 2018 10:11 pm

I have never been able to keep my mica peep hole clean enough to see any glow , any advice? is everyone able to keep the fireview door mica clean enough for viewing glow.

Logs

Post by Logs » Wed. Jan. 10, 2018 11:04 pm

I clean mine every week or so or when it gets enough fly ash that it makes it cloudy looking through at fire. I clean it with a damp paper towel like Larry shows on his video. Burning wood causes it to turn black making it a little harder to clean off. I never used anything but a damp paper towel

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Thu. Jan. 11, 2018 5:02 am

The damp paper towel once a week is what I use. It works fine. The ash is removed quickly.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Thu. Jan. 11, 2018 11:29 am

Mix in some ash on a damp towel to get those stubborn black marks off the mica. Works great!!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”