Utilizing ALL OF THAT ASH

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 10:03 am

We use ours to fill in along a stone wall in the backyard. Also put it on icy spots in the driveway for traction. I don't dump mine in the garden

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 10:41 am

After reading through Paul's links my take is that we produce a lot of coal ash and need to act responsibly in the ways we dispose of it.

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 10:45 am

Indeed. Nice links. Mine goes to the town dump weekly and they got a special place for it there.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 11:03 am

Im not sure why we are trusting any EPA studies :lol: I see them condemned all the time on here for everything else they do.

Im sure its somewhere between relatively safe and completely safe, closer to the latter. Its a personal choice what anyone does with it. I know there sure is a lot of it in a years time from a single stove and Im glad I have good uses for mine.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 11:16 am

keegs wrote:
Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 10:41 am
After reading through Paul's links my take is that we produce a lot of coal ash and need to act responsibly in the ways we dispose of it.
Yes, it would be great if folks were more responsible about sending usable stuff to fill the landfills even more.

Just think.. some folks send harmless ashes,leaves & grass clippings to the landfill, but put chemicals in their toilet bowl to clean it & then flush that crap into the ground water system. Then they think they are doing responsible disposal of stuff.

I do wish that folks could drop their ashes off at sites or have it picked up for use as an anti-skid material for public roads.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 11:36 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 11:16 am
Yes, it would be great if folks were more responsible about sending usable stuff to fill the landfills even more.

Just think.. some folks send harmless ashes,leaves & grass clippings to the landfill, but put chemicals in their toilet bowl to clean it & then flush that crap into the ground water system. Then they think they are doing responsible disposal of stuff.

I do wish that folks could drop their ashes off at sites or have it picked up for use as an anti-skid material for public roads.
+1 !!!!!!

Paul

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 11:49 am

We moved here to Mid-coast Maine last year I'm impressed with the way they manage waste. We bring our garbage to a transfer station operated by the town. Before it's trucked to a landfill, residents are asked to source separate all the recyclable materials including organics. Apparently it's more valuable if it's separated. What really impresses me is how much of the bulk items are handled. Residents drop off bed frames, doors, furniture, old bikes, wheel barrows, books, old paint... you name it. The town keeps it for a few days or so and if possible gives it away or sells it for a few bucks. Anything that doesn't go to the flea market section is separated and recycled (e.g. old motor oil, white goods, lobster traps, Glenwood base burners). Brush, leaves, clippings and organic kitchen waste are composted and available for free to residents. The town encourages residents to participate advising that recovering value out of the waste stream earns revenue and reduces taxes. Got a wheel barrow and a garden wand sprayer last summer for $5. I gotta be careful though ... sometimes I have a hard time walking away from stuff.

jonnoh

Post by jonnoh » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi, Just back in the tropics of Malaysia from the frozen North. Maine. I was just thinking that next year when I hope to actually burn some anthracite instead of just studying it here, I might try to see how the ash works to grow some of that newly sort of legalized herbal remedy for what ails you. Maybe we could start a booming market for ash. ;)

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 3:30 pm

From ash to hash LOL

Candyman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby stove

Post by Candyman » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 6:44 am

My neighbor who owns the local coal yard told me to spread it on any wet areas of my yard, that has worked great.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 7:06 am

Candyman wrote:
Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 6:44 am
My neighbor who owns the local coal yard told me to spread it on any wet areas of my yard, that has worked great.
????? What does it do?

Vonda
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby born 1980
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Gas

Post by Vonda » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 9:40 am

jonnoh wrote:
Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 2:54 pm
Hi, Just back in the tropics of Malaysia from the frozen North. Maine. I was just thinking that next year when I hope to actually burn some anthracite instead of just studying it here, I might try to see how the ash works to grow some of that newly sort of legalized herbal remedy for what ails you. Maybe we could start a booming market for ash. ;)
I thought den6ver was the only place it was legal.

Reader Joseph
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut

Post by Reader Joseph » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 11:56 am

lobsterman wrote:
Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 8:52 pm
Not good for garden like wood ash is. Take to dump.
I have been using it in my garden for years as have my Parents and Grandparents back in the Day. Wonderful for garden soil , don't know what it is doing to us after eating vegetables grown in it though. Musn't be that bad. I also throw ashes in my driveway.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”