Chubby reload temp

Wood slave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby stove
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal

Post by Wood slave » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 9:11 am

Hey all, I was wondering what you chubby owners let your temp get up to, to load fill her up? I get mine up to 600* before I stuff it full with a new charge! Is that too hot? After I fill it up, the temp will drop down to 300* and sit there for about 30 min or so, then climbs back to what the draft it set for. Does that sound about right for the temps? I think a lot has to do with my coal I’m using from tsc(junk)! I’ll do another thread on that. Thx

WS

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 9:21 am

We were just talking about that with 79 on another thread. What I do is open mine up and make sure the temp is on the rise. I slept in this morning and after a 13 hour burn my Chub was at 360. I opened it up had a cup of tea and now it is at 400 and rising so I am good to shake, poke and load. So my answer is the exact temp doesn't matter so much but below 350 I would be suspicious of losing the fire.

Wood slave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby stove
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal

Post by Wood slave » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Thanks Lobster! Man I think if I would shake and poke at less then 400-425* I’d lose the fire. But, I will try that when it warms up a hair to reload at 425* or so. Thx again

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 9:47 am

This morning after a 12 hr burn (back to 2 shakes a day since lighting the JR) open it up, shake poke, and load, and I let it run all the way up to 600 (2 cups of tea). Topped it off, closed MPD and adjusted air to 1/8 inch for the day's burn. Within a couple minutes I have settled in at 400. Pic is with the stove at 600 just before topping off.

Attachments

IMG_0253.jpg
.JPG | 74.6KB | IMG_0253.jpg

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 10:00 am

I don't look at temp so much as a good strong fire. I open the damper at the bottom and manual damper on the pipe and let her rip.I come back in a few and add a scoop or two,let that catch and then shake down and make adjustments.

Riddlerlloyd
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil fired steam convectors

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Thu. Feb. 01, 2018 10:26 pm

New Chubby owner here, just lit it for the first time on Tuesday, going three days fairly strong. You all are talking about 400-600 degree temps, I don't think i have shaken mine at more than 300...shaking morning and evening with a minor jiggle around supper to get me through to bed. If I have the door at 1/8 inch it only holds 300 or so degrees...to get it in the 400/450 range i need it about 1/2-3/4 of an inch.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”