Anthracite ash is a milk truck drivers friend

ad356

Post by ad356 » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 11:13 pm

My job is a farm pickup driver... In other words I go from farm to farm with a tractor trailer tanker and load milk. I come across ice, slush, and other difficult conditions. I keep 2 full 40 lb kitty liter pales filled with ash on my truck at all times. I get in a pinch I lay some ash down. Instant traction, works great.... It's a byproduct of heating my home and it gets rid of it. Works awesome.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 8:45 am

ad356 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 11:13 pm
My job is a farm pickup driver... In other words I go from farm to farm with a tractor trailer tanker and load milk. I come across ice, slush, and other difficult conditions. I keep 2 full 40 lb kitty liter pales filled with ash on my truck at all times. I get in a pinch I lay some ash down. Instant traction, works great.... It's a byproduct of heating my home and it gets rid of it. Works awesome.
Thanks for sharing. I have only been away from the dairy farm life for the last 20 yrs., but i well remember those times that the milk tanker couldn't move after loading the milk.We didn't have coal ashes then,we tried to keep some small sized stones dry to use or just open bags of the barn snow/barn dry,it worked pretty well too.
I spread my stoker boiler's ashes on my drive any time there is ice or snow pack,haven't bought salt or sand since i fired my EFM in 2014. Coal cinders are an amazing traction aid & should be part of the highway anti-skid program. Instead, they use that liquid crap that eats metal.

Wood slave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby stove
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal

Post by Wood slave » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 9:17 am

Amen to that!

Wood Slave

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 12:05 pm

Yep, I've used coal ash to get friends out that were stuck in my driveway. It's just as good or even better than sand.

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 12:11 pm

I've been spreading it around my turnaround for the last couple of weeks after we had freezing rain and the area was a sheet of ice. Works great.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Growing up our driveway base was coal ash. I know why now. I remember often tracking wet ash into the house on my shoes.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Works great for slippery sidewalks, too.

One of those cheap, plastic, imitation grass welcome mats outside the back door does a very good job of brushing off any that might stick to shoes and boots. We have a black floor mat inside the back door and there's never any ash foot prints on it.

Paul

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 5:30 pm

That salt is a menace. Driving in NY state on Monday the salt was so thick it obliterated the traffic lane lines.

Yesterday driving in Ct the salt in the air was like a fog. The back of a big truck could not be seen. Breathing this must be a health hazard.

ad356

Post by ad356 » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 11:46 pm

Yup the salt is a mess. There are times when the temp gets below a certain point it's useless but they use it anyways. Destroys personal property, but hey they make bug bucks on sales taxes on new or even used cars.

I beat them at their own games the best I can. We just bought a super clean show room condition 1990 grand Prix 4dr, 66k miles gorgeous car in everyway. South Carolina car. Zero rust. Good old reliable 3.1 v6. Garage kept, nice interior bunch of new parts like ac system and 4 new tires. We paid 3k, and the government got sales tax on 50 bucks. I have a car despite it's age is in better shape then most 5 year old cars. I also had the car rust stop treated on the way home from purchasing. Since the car is a 1990 it does not have an obd II port, emissions exempt $10 inspection. I'm tired of their money grabbing games. Fed up.

Don't buy a car from ny. They are junk.

dane
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II

Post by dane » Mon. Jan. 08, 2018 11:49 am

ad356 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 11:46 pm
Yup the salt is a mess. There are times when the temp gets below a certain point it's useless but they use it anyways. Destroys personal property, but hey they make bug bucks on sales taxes on new or even used cars.

I beat them at their own games the best I can. We just bought a super clean show room condition 1990 grand Prix 4dr, 66k miles gorgeous car in everyway. South Carolina car. Zero rust. Good old reliable 3.1 v6. Garage kept, nice interior bunch of new parts like ac system and 4 new tires. We paid 3k, and the government got sales tax on 50 bucks. I have a car despite it's age is in better shape then most 5 year old cars. I also had the car rust stop treated on the way home from purchasing. Since the car is a 1990 it does not have an obd II port, emissions exempt $10 inspection. I'm tired of their money grabbing games. Fed up.

Don't buy a car from ny. They are junk.
I currently have a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado in my garage with 80k miles in mint condition...with the frame rotted out at the rear spring hangers...from MY.

It's my nephews and he got it free from his grandpa. He and I are almost done with all the frame work, but it's almost tough to justify even on a free truck.

We moved back to the east coast from California which has it's own problems, but rust isn't one of them. We left our desert race trucks chassis bare and just wiped them down with wd40 after each race to clean, protect, and check for damage. No rust ever, unless we raced east of the Mississippi, and we only did that once, lesson learned.

If I'm buying used I have no problem paying Carmax a little extra to ship a vehicle from a non rust state.

Dane

Attachments

20171209_140628.jpg
.JPG | 382.2KB | 20171209_140628.jpg
20171204_123130.jpg
.JPG | 456.5KB | 20171204_123130.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”