Chubby stove Getting air flowing through house

Vonda
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby born 1980
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Gas

Post by Vonda » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 10:28 am

Hello and happy New year.
I pray this year surpasses last year in the amount of blessings, piece of mine, and laughter you will receive.

I noticed some people writing that the chubby heat your entire home and keeps it at at least 70°.
I have not achieve getting any other room but where the chubby is located to get to 70° or even passed it.
I have attached a crude drawing of my house lay out. I have a blower. My house is probably 1800 sq ft and only one story. I don't expect the whole house to be heated but I would like the adjoining was to get heated

Thanks for any help.
Vonda

Attachments

20180103_101823.jpg
.JPG | 227.4KB | 20180103_101823.jpg

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 11:23 am

Double post, you notice that? Knock down the walls to the kitchen and living room. Don't want to do that? Try this instead: Take a candle, or incense stick or even a strip of paper and find out where the strongest air flow flow is from natural convection with the stove running. Cold air is going to be moving toward your stove along the floor and hot air away from it along the ceiling. My experience is a fan placed far away from the stove on the floor blowing cold air along the natural path will distribute the heat very well. Others swear by ceiling fans (which I have but do not use). I personally like the temperature gradient. My stove is in a sitting room on one end of the house with the chimney shared with the garage. That room is open to the kitchen and dining room. The living room on the opposite end of the house is always cooler, but I like that and can light a second fireplace if I want. The upstairs is cooler yet, and I like that too but plenty of warm air drifts up the staircase.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 12:07 pm

I have a small ranch. My stove is located on one end of the house and bedrooms on the other end. I cut an intake register in the ceiling above the stove, ran flex duct with an inline fan (wired up to a light switch) through my attic and dropped registers into the 3 bedrooms on the far end of the house. Works flawless with about a 5 degree difference. Makes a natural loop.

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 12:13 pm

tcalo wrote:
Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 12:07 pm
I have a small ranch. My stove is located on one end of the house and bedrooms on the other end. I cut an intake register in the ceiling above the stove, ran flex duct with an inline fan (wired up to a light switch) through my attic and dropped registers into the 3 bedrooms on the far end of the house. Works flawless with about a 5 degree difference. Makes a natural loop.
Brilliant!

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Thanks lobsterman, I'd like to take the credit but someone else gave me the idea. He did it with a fireplace insert. Without that system my bedrooms would be quite cold!

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 7:35 pm

tcalo wrote:
Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 12:51 pm
Thanks lobsterman, I'd like to take the credit but someone else gave me the idea. He did it with a fireplace insert. Without that system my bedrooms would be quite cold!
I may get someone to do this in the future. Thanks

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 7:39 pm

lobsterman wrote:
Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 11:23 am
Double post, you notice that? Knock down the walls to the kitchen and living room.
Yes, I noticed but didn't know how to fix.
I actually did think about knocking walls down but the reason wasn't to get more heat circulating.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 7:52 pm

tcalo wrote:
Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 12:07 pm
Hi Vonda, what tcalo did^^^^^^^was a great idea and I'm happy it worked out.
I was wondering if your basement is insulated, if so you could put the stove down there and install registers in strategic location for supply and cold air return...just a thought, I try to suggest non-electric needed remedies first. I could have every room in my home the same temp if I wanted but my electric co. are nothing but legal thugs!

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 8:07 pm

The stove belongs in the most-used room of the house where it radiates energy to smiling faces.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 8:11 pm

lobsterman wrote:
Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 8:07 pm
The stove belongs in the most-used room of the house where it radiates energy to smiling faces.
Aint that the truth! My JR has been burning for a week 4 feet from the left side of my face for a week now thru this brutal weather. Nothing beats it and maybe I'll get a tan :D

lots of good ideas in every post.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 9:18 pm

V, my 0ld farm house is 200+ yrs old & the rooms are really broke up similar to what your diagram shows. I'm a big fan of OLD, had a nice round oak burning wood for quite a few yrs--but came to the realization that there was no way in hell I was going to be able to satisfactorily heat my house with a chubby type stove. That's how I researched & tracked down my HITZER 50-93. I understand the aesthetics, but my goal was to keep warm.

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Indeed FF, one size does not fit all. Find your fit and you will be happy. Maybe.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 9:29 pm

lobsterman wrote:
Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 8:07 pm
Not always possible. My house is quite small, it would honestly be in the way in our family room. It currently sits in a spare room with access to the basement, garage and backyard. Small tight room with all those doors...not much I can do with it except house my stove in.

michaelanthony wrote:
Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 7:52 pm
I was wondering if your basement is insulated, if so you could put the stove down there and install registers in strategic location for supply and cold air return...just a thought
I thought of this too but have old hardwood throughout my house. I'd rather cut holes in my sheetrock ceiling than cut up my nice hardwood floors!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 10:00 pm

Understandable Tom.

Vonda, Do you have a hot air conventional heating system or central A.C.?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 10:12 pm

72-74* throughout L. (1800 sq.) I couldn't be any happier for a grumpy old farmer! :) Wish I coulda gone with something Chubby style, woulda fit my rustic real well.
lobsterman wrote:
Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 9:26 pm
Indeed FF, one size does not fit all. Find your fit and you will be happy. Maybe.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”