Can someone explain the engineering on this?

capone79
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Early 1900s US Army Heating Stove

Post by capone79 » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 12:18 pm

I’m new here. I’m in the Omaha, Ne metro area.
This is “The Beast” and I have one other post on her and someone pointed something out that peaked my curiosity.

Can anyone explain the purpose (if any) of the two chimneys on the inside of my stove? One on the left and one on the right.

It is a US Army Space Heater No. 1 and holds 100 pounds.

I came out this morning and top plate was 625. Sides were 575-600. Top of the stack was 82. Shut all the way down. Last touched 12 hours ago.

I added a few shovels of coal to top her off and took this pic to explain my question.

Thanks!

Attachments

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 12:36 pm

I'm far from an expert, but to me it looks like the 4 "chimneys" in a Warm Morning 400 stove that I had. Burns off the gases from the coal. Do a quick search of Warm Morning and you will find many post with a lot more info.

-12 with a -26 wind chill and only "Very Cold" ? All I can say is keep that stove cranking :?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 12:47 pm

You could get various explation, here's one...
It's a short-cut or by-pass to the exit up the stack. And helps from smothering fire at bottom buried in all that coal.
It also does well a preventing a big "woosh or puff " from delayed ignition of volatile gas built up on 'buried trying to burn' coal.
After-burner also jump-starts chimney draft which is a big plus to getting and keeping a fire.
Imagine what it'd be like w/o it.. :P

capone79

Post by capone79 » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks all!!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Mac is close.

This was explained a couple of years ago by Steve (Kingcoal), our resident Warm Morning stove expert.

Those type corner firebricks are used with stoves that have a very deep bed of coal, like yours and the different sized models of Warm Morning stoves. I think some of the Sears brand stoves use the same technique.

Those firebrick corner "chimneys" are actually flues for the volatile gases that are produced as the deep coal pile burns at the bottom. It allows the gases to burn off in those flues. That produces even more heat that otherwise would be lost out the stove pipe if the gases didn't get burned.

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 2:11 pm

there is a manual for your stove in this thread although it is not listed specifically the firing practice will be just the same for your round bodied 2 side chimney brick variant.

Post by ASea - Warm Morning 120 Manual

there is another explanation of the operation of the draft, deep bed and chimney bricks that perfectly explains how this all works, i'll find it and ad it in here.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 2:48 pm

having a bit of a hard time coming up with the explanation of the flue / chimney brick operation but here's a decent paraphrase.

going from the firing instructions in the mentioned manual. the design is intended to be brought up in layers at high draft till the flames are coming up the side or corner bricks. at that point the fire is well established down at the grate level and the full draft force of the house chimney is traveling out from under the column of coal and up the side or corner bricks.

this is important because this must be established for the stove to function as designed. once started and operated as intended the stove doesn't and even won't draft up through that 19" deep load of coal, it's far easier for it to travel the outer path where it is both super heated and the gasses burned off but the heat being just inside the skin of the barrel radiates to the living or working space very easily.

this will be found to be supported by the fact that after the stove is operating this way the flues will keep showing blue flames but the top of the coal will be dark and not burning but feeding down into the burn zone at and just above the grates. the heat however will just keep on coming even though there is no visible fire at the top of the pile.

this explanation has been shared by an original poster and commented on by at least one other highly experienced member, hopefully this will jog their memory and they will correct my statements as needed.

steve

capone79

Post by capone79 » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 3:53 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 2:48 pm
having a bit of a hard time coming up with the explanation of the flue / chimney brick operation but here's a decent paraphrase.

going from the firing instructions in the mentioned manual. the design is intended to be brought up in layers at high draft till the flames are coming up the side or corner bricks. at that point the fire is well established down at the grate level and the full draft force of the house chimney is traveling out from under the column of coal and up the side or corner bricks.

this is important because this must be established for the stove to function as designed. once started and operated as intended the stove doesn't and even won't draft up through that 19" deep load of coal, it's far easier for it to travel the outer path where it is both super heated and the gasses burned off but the heat being just inside the skin of the barrel radiates to the living or working space very easily.

this will be found to be supported by the fact that after the stove is operating this way the flues will keep showing blue flames but the top of the coal will be dark and not burning but feeding down into the burn zone at and just above the grates. the heat however will just keep on coming even though there is no visible fire at the top of the pile.

this explanation has been shared by an original poster and commented on by at least one other highly experienced member, hopefully this will jog their memory and they will correct my statements as needed.

steve
Steve,
This makes a lot of sense to me the way you explained it. Thanks for the help.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 6:47 pm

your welcome. here's a link to a thread by another member with a WM 617a which is a square body stove with corner flue bricks.

you can follow the pics at the top of the page they show how the fire pot is divided into 2 sections, the burn zone and the "magazine" zone above it. in the first 3 pics the burns zone is the area from the grates up to the the underside of the 'flues" and the "magazine" zone is the 9 or so inches above that.

the fourth pic is the flames coming up the "flue just like your side bricks, this and the "rev up" pic show no sign of active fire on or in the magazine zone.

the other pic shows the level of the coal at tending time, it has dropped by itself down almost to the burn zone and is just starting to show that if it was left to run the fire would have broken thru from below.

you've got a great stove and a good start i'm sure you're going to be pleased.

almost forgot the link....Post by LBrookm - Warm Morning 617a

steve

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”