“The Beast” is up and running...

capone79
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Early 1900s US Army Heating Stove

Post by capone79 » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 5:44 pm

My “US Army No. 1 Space Heater” is finally installed and rolling coal.
44” tall
60” diameter
Holds 100 pounds

Just in time for our forecasted 45 below zero windchills this evening.

Completely closed down I’m running 450-500 on the sidewalls and 76 degrees where my stack exits the roof of my uninsulated, 900 square foot pole shop. Just wood beams and sheet metal in this shop. I’m 50 degrees warmer than outside which is pretty good considering 15’ ceilings.

Burning TSC Nut Anthracite. (Unfortunately, the last of it. They are getting out of coal in eastern Nebraska. I bought the last full ton they had for $265. :yes:

Attachments

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 5:56 pm

capone79 wrote:
Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 5:44 pm
44” tall
60” diameter
Holds 100 pounds
60" circumference, maybe??? :o
60" diameter, you could easily curl up in it for a (very) warm nap.
Looks like a fantastic work horse.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 6:06 pm

Wow look at those chimneys spittin' out the blues!...can you get any bit coal cheap? That monster can probably burn it.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 6:15 pm

Nice Job,G.I. ! That's just a Little Piece of Rear Area History !! Now let's find You something to burn !

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 7:00 pm

Sweet stove! Thanks for sharing the blue ladies dance.

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Damn that's a BEAST. Gotta be close to KC to score one of those. Thanks for sharing.

capone79

Post by capone79 » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 1:06 am

Sorry. Yes CIRCUMFERENCE. I bought it at... wait for it... a candy store.
They have a candy store in Omaha that has a ton of old antiques and a vintage movie theatre set up in the back. Thousands of collectible PEZ dispensers old records soda machines etc.
She roars like the day she was built!

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 10:17 am

he's closer to Buck47 and jubileejerry than me. looks like a mighty fine example, as you are seeing, with a full pot of coal and closed down you have real good stove body heat and not putting it all out the chimney.

when you open it up it'll blow you away. of course, these were standard issue barracks heaters so it shouldn't be any real surprise.

thanks for saving another one and sharing the pics.

makes me want to bring the 524 3 chimney 200 #'r in the house to play with. we are at -2 and -20 wind chill right now and the forecast is for -8 and more wind tonight. thankfully FRANK is on the job kicking butt and takin' names.

steve

capone79

Post by capone79 » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 10:35 am

I’m at -11 with a windchill of -26 right now. Heading toward -45. 8-)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 11:56 am

Start talking to any Amish around your area and you might locate another source of coal. If not, you may have to ship some in from somewhere. There is a dealer in Ames IA too. Maybe you and JubileeJerry can go together on some. Theres a member from Kansas that has a source but I cant recall his username.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 1:11 pm

Lookin really good Al (Capone). Has anyone turned you onto Steves Frankenstein thread? He's taken your stove to new levels. (With just a few "minor" modifications). :lol:

capone79

Post by capone79 » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 1:18 pm

warminmn wrote:
Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 11:56 am
Start talking to any Amish around your area and you might locate another source of coal. If not, you may have to ship some in from somewhere. There is a dealer in Ames IA too. Maybe you and JubileeJerry can go together on some. Theres a member from Kansas that has a source but I cant recall his username.
Thanks!

capone79

Post by capone79 » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 1:19 pm

joeq wrote:
Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 1:11 pm
Lookin really good Al (Capone). Has anyone turned you onto Steves Frankenstein thread? He's taken your stove to new levels. (With just a few "minor" modifications). :lol:
I’m scared to look... wait... I don’t weld, so I’m probably not going to try to recreate anything I am jealous of! 8-)

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 7:37 am

There is a TSC about 12 miles from my brother's house and he works with me at my store so I called them up and found out they had over 180 bags. After reading capone79's story and his letter to me I decided to buy the 3 full pallets they had and the guy I talked to said he was sure my purchase would trigger a re-order this time of year. He hadn't heard anything about not selling it any more. I told him I thought it odd that TSC has several coal-burning stoves in their ads and if they're selling stoves to people they would stop selling the coal. He agreed with me. There are a few other stores in the area I haven't checked with to see if they have any, but as a side note to capone79, If you get in a bind and need some, let me know. I'll share. I just didn't want to let what they had get away. It probably didn't come across that way in my pm. We'll figure stuff out before next year but this will keep us in coal until then.

capone79

Post by capone79 » Wed. Jan. 03, 2018 12:20 pm

No worries at all! I didn’t take it in any negative way whatsoever. I can’t lay claim to any coal on the market and wouldn’t expect anyone to feel bad for buying what they could get their hands on.
I went in to my local TSC on L St. here in Omaha which is where I usually buy my coal. They were completely sold out. I thought that was odd given they just had tons (literally) a couple weeks ago. I asked “why the rush on coal” and the manager told me they were getting out of the coal business and wouldn’t be getting any more in. I asked if he meant for the rest of the year. He said “No, corporate has told us we are getting out of coal for good and to clearance what we had and get rid of it, so we did and some guy bought every bag we had.” I asked about other stores and he said I would never see another bag of coal at an Omaha TSC (I think there are 2 or 3).
So, I called Fremont. They said they had 76 bags of nut. One unopened pallet of 50. I asked if they were getting out of coal and she said that was here understanding. So, I bought a pallet for $5.50 a bag.
I may have been unclear on the board about this. I was given the impression that TSC was getting out of coal based on the conversations I had with these two managers at different stores. It’s very possible that only select stores are getting out of coal. But again, the gut feeling I got without specifically asking if this was nationwide was that TSC corporate had decided it wasn’t selling enough and was a pain in the ass to transport and it just sat and took up space so they were getting out of it.
Perhaps a call to corporate may shed some light. It’s also possible that both the managers I spoke with took some sort of company email out of context or something. I guess what I’m saying is that until I hear from corporate they are getting out of it nation wide, my assumption is that it must be a store by store decision.
I hope this clarifies my experience for everyone here. Thanks!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”