New to handfired coal stoves

homeskillet
Other Heating: pellet

Post by homeskillet » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 9:58 am

I have a post on the stoker side of this forum inquiring about stokers. I presently have a pellet stove but I am finding it inadequate to heat my home, so I will, more than likely, be switching to coal this coming spring. I want to know how hard it is the use a hand fired coal stove? Is their a steep learning curve? I have heard horror stories about having to master the air controls. I work all day and I am not sure my wife wants to deal with a hand fired stove.......but I have not ruled it out. Do hand fired stoves also have convection fans? I live in a very windy area.....not sure it that works for me or against me with a hand fired stove. Also, I am off grid. That being said, I have a 14400 watt solar array, a very large battery setup so electrical power isn't a issue with a stoker.....although, from the solar side, in Central NY, it seems like the solar light goes out from Dec thru Feb. In short.....i am merely trying to learn. Any guidance would be appreciated

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 10:12 am

There are a few non-electric hopper fed stoves that would require little work on your wives part and easily go 12 hours between tending unless your home is huge and you didnt mention that. Hitzer makes a couple, Keystoker has one that is a little more attractive (matter of opinion) and theres one called a Kodiak, I think Alaska makes that but not positive. A few foreign ones too but they will likely need more tending with most of them. Im sure others will chime in as we get asked this stuff a lot on here.

You can always use ceiling fans or room fans set on low to move air around if needed. Coal will be cheaper per BTU than pellets any day of the week.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 10:22 am

You are asking about a hand fed stove and you continue to talk about your solar array...please put that to bed cuz' I will not mention mine either. I have an assortment of hand fed stoves and I love 'em all in their own way. Get yourself a used batch, (hand) fired stove. You can get an antique like many of us or a modern stove like many of us...either way get one before spring and get a grip on feeding a stove. Soon you will be helping some poor smuck do the same. Merry Christmas!

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 10:23 am

Welcome SK, and you were told right in that a coal stove will need a bit more work, than a pellet stove. But it's not rocket science, and the added benefits of the additional BTUs that coal will be providing, will make the extra effort worth it. Basically, you'll have to M/T the ashes a little more often than your pellets, and "maybe" have-ta add some coal more, depending what you buy for a stove. As for the learning curve, with all the brilliant and experienced members on this site, you'll become a pro in no time. If you were to give us a layout of your home, they may be able to better advise you of your requirements. Have fun, and Merry Christmas.
Last edited by joeq on Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 10:25 am

Will need a chimney/pipe, as can never be on direct or power vent.

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 4:09 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 10:22 am
You are asking about a hand fed stove and you continue to talk about your solar array...please put that to bed cuz' I will not mention mine either
I mention my solar array simply because although I am off grid, i do have power options for a stoker.... BUT i want to find out more regarding a hand fed. I am sorry you are so sensitive to the issue of solar arrays. Solar arrays have been around a long time. A lot of people have solar arrays. I am not the only one with a solar array. My brother also has a solar array. I am happy that you have a a solar array, please tell me about it........oh btw i loved your band :D

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 4:16 pm

homeskillet wrote:
Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 4:09 pm
oh btw i loved your band
Wait. What? Mike has a band and he didn't tell ME? :lol:

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 4:26 pm

homeskillet wrote:
I mention my solar array simply because although I am off grid, i do have power options for a stoker.... BUT i want to find out more regarding a hand fed. I am sorry you are so sensitive to the issue of solar arrays. Solar arrays have been around a long time. A lot of people have solar arrays. I am not the only one with a solar array. My brother also has a solar array. I am happy that you have a a solar array, please tell me about it........oh btw i loved your band :D
:lol: ...we'll talk solar as soon as we know what your needs are. I am talking about your home' s footage, how many rooms and floors are you heating? and chimney, if you have one. Do you have a basement? Many factors are consideed when getting a stove, it only helps us help you if we know these. A hand fed stove can have a blower if you like but it is not neccessary. I have hand fed stoves that could heat 2000 sq ft dependant on the lay out. A solar array will have no impact on the type of hand fed stove you decide to get...my point. Fill in the blanks and you will be that much closer to a stove.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 4:27 pm

H, he's not bein sensitive, just bein a realist. I also would look at the hopper type hand fired stoves. My--at the time-- 13 yr old daughter could tend--shake down, fill hopper & empty ash when needed. (every 12 hrs)---Really MA, ya got a band?????
homeskillet wrote:

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 5:56 pm

1700 square feet basement 1700 square foot first floor, 700 sq ft open loft 24 ft vaulted ceiling on front of house, Basement is an insulated concrete form basement (unheated). House is closed cell spray foam insulated r30 on walls and r42 on ceilings.......oh did i mention a 14400 watt solar array......Presently heat with a 34,000 btu (output to house) pellet stove (Gonna be interesting later this week when its -12 degrees) My coal stove would be placed where my pellet stove is now........that being said, I think i like the idea of a convection fan to move the air a bit. I understand the solar array ...or any power for that matter doesn't matter when considering a hand shake coal stove. I am still open to a direct vent stoker......and even a Harman P68 pellet stove. I have 6 months to make my mind up and that is why i am quizzing everyone.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 6:10 pm

OK, now besides hearing about Michaels band :lol: What floor are you going to have the stove on? You mention replacing pellet stove but unless I missed it did not mention what floor.

If your pellet stove is undersized for your heating needs at 34,000 btu's I'll just stick with my 1st posts opinions, but only the large Hitzer or other stoves I mentioned. Easy for wife to tend too. All she would have to do unless your gone over 12 hrs (or possibly longer) is maybe open air intake or close it a little if she is too hot or too cold. That could happen because of the size of your home. and ceiling height.

Better to use your solar power for other needed things instead of a stoker.... thats just my opinion.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 4:16 pm
Wait. What? Mike has a band and he didn't tell ME? :lol:
Come on L, we went to different high schools together! :lol:

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Thanks for the info homeskillet, I would consider a big DS Machine stove, made by the Amish and a very good heater for a big space. The loft will get plenty of heat and the 2 floors below should be satisfied.
As WM stated save the green electric for the other civilized amenities and enjoy coal heat the old fashion way.
...now let's have a big round of applause for a Sissy and a Bobby! to quote my lead singer Laurence Welk! :lol:
Last edited by michaelanthony on Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Pellet stove (coal stove to be) is in the living room 34ftx18ft with 24 ft ceiling. The living room is also open to the loft.....alot of heat ends up in the loft but I do have a 7 ft ceiling fan hanging from the living room ceiling to move air.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 10:47 pm

homeskillet wrote:
Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Pellet stove (coal stove to be) is in the living room 34ftx18ft with 24 ft ceiling. The living room is also open to the loft.....alot of heat ends up in the loft but I do have a 7 ft ceiling fan hanging from the living room ceiling to move air.
Depending on the location of your basement stairs, and if a chimney in is your plans, a big basement stove could be benefitial to your set up.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”