My idea, first post, and some questions

MCR

Post by MCR » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Greetings and hello to everyone! First post here.

I have decided that I will begin heating my home (about 1000 square feet) with coal next winter. However, I'm not satisfied with the choices for coal stoves in my area or the prices of shipped coal stoves. So, I want to build my own custom coal-fired stove. Maybe two eventually.

If I'm understanding what I've read thus far, the size of the stove isn't really what determines the output of the stove, but the airflow does. Is this correct? How much can a coal fire be damped in an airtight "box" before it goes out? I'm wondering about this because my house is fairly well insulated and rather small compared to many. Most winters, I get by just fine with a couple of 1500 watt electric heaters, but I also don't usually heat my entire house much. I usually keep the bedroom warm and the rest of the house pretty cold. Anyway, I worry about a stove putting out too much heat. If a hand-fired coal stove could be damped down well enough, I will surely switch to coal, assuming coal prices don't skyrocket. At the moment I spend between 30-100 a month in the winter on heating. Supposedly 45,000 BTUs is enough to heat my whole house on the coldest days of the year (about 0F). The coldest it gets here is about -5F. Typical winter days are highs in the 20s-40s with lows in the teens. Some days are warmer than others, some colder than others. One day it can be 0F and a few days later it can be 70F.

I've been doing a lot of research into coal stove designs and feel I could probably design one to fit my application, but some questions come to mind that only experience could probably answer. Not sure if anyone can answer all my questions, but any answers would be appreciated.

Making the stove out of cast iron would probably be too problematic. More than likely, steel will be used. For wood stoves this is usually fine, but what about for coal stoves? I presume a steel based stove would probably not last as long as cast iron, but not really sure.

What about the above question about airflow? Could I design a big firebox but be able to keep it damped down so as to not run me out of the house with heat? I want the stove to be able to burn at least 12-24 hours unattended as there are times I have to be away from home for up to 24 hours. I don't care if the house gets a bit chilly, I just don't want it to get below freezing.

What about chimney size? Some boat coal stoves seem to use 4-inch pipe while some other coal stoves use 6-inch. Is there any benefit to using a smaller chimney size? Any benefit to using a larger chimney size? The expected total length from stove to chimney cap will probably be about 12-15 feet. Still not sure how I will run the chimney, but due to how the house is designed, a pipe based chimney is the only real option. What sort of chimney temperatures do you normally see when firing a coal stove? What about maximum temperatures?

What sort of stove temperatures are seen during normal firing? Maximum temperatures?

Does anyone know of anyone else who has made their own hand-fired coal stove?

I'll probably have more questions in time. I expect I may start on making a prototype stove sometime during the spring or summer. I want to have all my ducks in a row before I even touch it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 9:25 pm

Course if we knew what area ya are talkin about???? Finish your profile!!!! .>)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Welcome aboard!

Wow, that's a tall order building a coal stove without having experience of burning coal. In my opinion, it would be wise to pick up a used stove on Craig's list, learn from it, then design a coal stove. Many experienced coal burners here can help point you in the right direction on good used equipment. I'm not saying you can't do it, there is a lot to consider when designing one. Why reinvent the wheel? There are plenty to choose from.

A Hitzer free standing hand fed stove with hopper would suit you perfect, OR maybe you'd be interested in a reconditioned antique. Both can be idled way down on warm days and then cranked up enough to run you out of the house when it's zero outside. Just a quick glance at Craig's list (around my area) shows a pile of good used coal stoves within reasonable driving distance and price.
Last edited by Lightning on Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Like FF said, where are you? We both have a stove that would work for your described house, one steel, one cast iron.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 10:23 pm

North Carolina makes for slim pickings on finding worthy used coal stoves.
But hard work can sometimes turn up a GEM!

MCR

Post by MCR » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Sorry, I updated my profile, North Carolina. As McGlever pointed out, it's slim pickings for coal stoves in my area. Even coal itself is impossible to find in person it seems. It will have to be trucked in or I will have to take a long drive.

I could just get a used coal stove, if I can find one in reasonable shape for a reasonable cost, but it may not be suitable for my situation. Might put out too much heat. I'm smarter than your average bear so I have no doubt I could design my own and get a usable design, but I doubt I can do it right with the first build. If materials can be obtained cheap enough, it will be worth it. Besides, I enjoy building things.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 10:43 pm

I agree with Lee. Get your feet wet first. Maybe a small Warm Morning stove. Popular in the South. Cheap, long burning, and simple.

Though coal can be idled down pretty well, too much leads to inefficiency and excessive CO generation.

You will need cast iron for grates.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Scrounge one of these up somewhere ;) .

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 11:00 pm

The first car may have been built by someone who never drove a car...

The current Ford F150 was not designed by someone with no driving experience..

You say you are worried about buying a stove that will overheat your house...

Yet you are talking about building a stove...

Ever hear of window-stats ?? If your stove makes you too warm & it cannot be idled down any further... OPEN a window.. or 2... or all :lol:

In 2014, i bought a used Crane 404 locally for $100... i found it on Craigslist... the only repair expense was for 1 new glass out of the 3 & this yr i installed all new pipe & baro.

If you aspire to be the future generation stove builder...
You would be wise to buy a used stove or possible several different brands of stoves to use until you master the art of burning coal in a hand fed stove... b4 trying to build one blind. :)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 11:41 pm

If you don't plan on using coal till next heating season, watch Craig's list. If something turns up within reasonable distance post it here on the board and somebody will help guide you.

In the meantime look for a source of coal. The Tractor Supply stores have been carrying it as far south as Georgia, according to a recent member who lives in the Atlanta area.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 11:46 pm

If a pair of 1500 watt heaters are keeping you warm, anything but a small coal stove might just be overkill. Probably not cost effective to spend much on a coal stove. Craigslist is your friend there. I'd freeze to death using 2 electric heaters is kind of what Im going by.

Maybe just one of the smaller coal stoves for the coldest of the cold days in your area and then use your electric heaters for warmer weather. I cant really see a homemade stove in your situation with a small insulated home but thats up to you.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 12:02 am

A coal Chubby in your basement would heat the whole place nicely. They are plentiful and inexpensive on craigslist.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 1:01 am

If there is anyone on this forum other than myself that would encourage a person who never burned coal, to design and build their own coal stove capable of a 24 hour burn,I would be shocked. :o

Now that being said, if money is no object, I'm confident that our members will be more than willing to help you with a design that will fit your needs.

The problem I see is the cost of the materials required will far exceed the price of a good used coal stove shipped to your door.

Cast iron coal grates,grate frame, shaker handle, and refractory or firebrick are required for your application.
If you have a small forge and are familiar with sand casting, you can cast your own grates.

You can also cast your own firebricks, or purchase either rammable or castable refractory.

The Godin that McGiever suggested would be a good choice. The Warm Morning that Franco suggested is another good choice. I'm not familiar with the Crane stoves but I wouldnt hesitate on purchasing one on David's recommendation.

There are plenty of pot belly stoves on craigslist that will do the job that can be purchased and shipped to you for less than a set of new grates.

Another option is to purchase a used parts stove, and have the seller ship you only the firebowl, grate frame, and grates. Then build your stove around these parts.

A tiny chicken brooder stove is another possibility that you can build around. Whatever you decide you can count on our input.

Paulie

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 6:34 am

Morning MCR,

Welcome to the forum. I checked out the NC craigslist after reading your post and there does seem to be a paucity of used stoves there.... but there are some. https://boone.craigslist.org/for/d/wood-or-coal-s ... 95726.html ..... If you're on Facebook you might also check the Marketplace section for stoves selling in your area. I also checked Tractor Supply in NC and they sell (in store) nut and pea coal. (They sell coal stoves too)

I've only recently switched from wood to coal and so by no means am I an authority on coal burning and/or coal stoves. Having said that though, when I look at my Chubby coal stove it's pretty darn simple. A rolled 1/4" thick piece of steel with a bottom head welded round with top and side door castings and an exhaust thimble out the back. Inside there's a kind of cradle that supports the fire pot (thing you put /burn coal in) The fire pot sits between the loading door and ash tray door, is made of thick cast iron and has a grate at the bottom. Air flows in through vents in the ash tray door and travels through the coals and out the exhaust stack. The combustion of the coal produces ashes which will effect airflow and the rate at which the coal will continue burning. Moving the grate around and coaxing the ashes out of the coal with a poker frees up the ashes from between the unburned fuel and stimulates combustion.

What I like most about coal is the long burns. Temps in Northern Maine can get down there about this time of year and there's nothing I dislike more than waking up during the night to feed the stove. (The wife would just as well freeze than get up) . Coal does produce some fly ash that you want to keep an eye on while your're tending otherwise it will wind up on any horizontal surfaces in your home.

If you do find something used that you like, take some photos if you can and check back with the guys here. They'll help you to figure out what you got before you plunk down your hard earned cash.

Good luck on your project. You'll likely find this site is a great resource.

Cheers... Chris K.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 7:30 am

Good on the profile update M. Now people can really help ya out with either design or used stove availability in your area--these guys are real good at findin that needle in the haystack. My thoughts--find a potential re-furb they're out there even in your area. Welcome to the FORUM my friend.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”