Outside temperature

Vonda
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby born 1980
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Gas

Post by Vonda » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 7:00 am

I was wondering can you burn cold when temperature is above 50°? Has anyone dine this. Here in Georgia. Our daytime temperature can be 55 but night time 35.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 7:47 am

V, be nice if ya finished your profile so we'd know what type stove & where--I know ya put Georgia, but just lookin at the avatar makes it easier.

DennisH
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

Post by DennisH » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 7:49 am

You most certainly can, but remember, a hand fired furnace likes a deep bed of coals to burn efficiently, which means you're still going to have a hot fire even if you throttle the burn rate down. You'll probably have to open a lot of "windowstats," because it's going to be HOT! My bride of 34 years won't even let me fire up the wood/coal furnace unless the HIGH for the day is going to be below 32F! Makes house too hot for her!!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 8:14 am

Vonda wrote:
Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 7:00 am
I was wondering can you burn cold when temperature is above 50°? Has anyone dine this. Here in Georgia. Our daytime temperature can be 55 but night time 35.
Yes you can keep the fire alive thru warm afternoons without cooking yourself out of the house. It does take some technique and can be tricky to keep draft. In the spring and fall I regularly run the furnace thru 60-70 degree days because being up north, it still gets cold at night.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 8:25 am

Lightning wrote:
Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 8:14 am
Yes you can keep the fire alive thru warm afternoons without cooking yourself out of the house. It does take some technique and can be tricky to keep draft. In the spring and fall I regularly run the furnace thru 60-70 degree days because being up north, it still gets cold at night.
Hi L, you mean coal furnace?

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 8:27 am

Vonda,since you are using a Chubby & not a multi-fuel furnace, it would be best to talk with other Chubby owners.There is a thread currently going titled "Where have all the Chubbies gone".
I do keep my Crane 404 going even if daytime temps go into the 60's.

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 8:30 am

freetown fred wrote:
Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 7:47 am
V, be nice if ya finished your profile so we'd know what type stove & where--I know ya put Georgia, but just lookin at the avatar makes it easier.
I just installed a rear venting chubby with blower 5 days. I havent been home to have the time to post an abatar. But i will soon.

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 8:32 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 8:27 am
Vonda,since you are using a Chubby & not a multi-fuel furnace, it would be best to talk with other Chubby owners.There is a thread currently going titled "Where have all the Chubbies gone".
I do keep my Crane 404 going even if daytime temps go into the 60's.
I will ask Larry, but i know he initially thought Georgia was too warm.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 8:37 am

Vonda wrote:
Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 8:32 am
I will ask Larry, but i know he initially thought Georgia was too warm.
There are Chubby owners on this forum that use their Chubby stove for more than just the brutal cold temps. They are the ones who can best explain how to keep your Chubby going in the warmer temps you have.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 8:48 am

Oh okay, I missed the memo that there was a chubby stove involved. But even so, one of the benefits of using anthracite is that heat output is very controllable provided the stove is tight. With some technique of using smaller sized coal, a stove can be idled way down to hardly any heat output at all, provided draft can be maintained.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 10:21 am

When you speak with Larry Trainer again, ask him if the Chubby can operate long term (day-in and day-out) on "pea" sized anthracite. That will burn slower and therefore cooler overall. The big problem will be that TSC does not offer pea sized anthracite.

Personally, if I lived in Georgia, I don't think I would be considering anthracite coal. Throttling back on a stove somewhat increases the potential for CO to escape into the living space. You will certainly need a few CO detectors. And (TSC aside) the cost of anthracite will likely prove to be prohibitive, and ready availability may be another problem issue.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 11:34 am

A BIG +1
windyhill4.2 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 8:37 am
There are Chubby owners on this forum that use their Chubby stove for more than just the brutal cold temps. They are the ones who can best explain how to keep your Chubby going in the warmer temps you have.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 3:09 pm

I've run my kitchen range when it's in the 70's outdoors many times, and up to 80 a few times when we got some early spring warm weather. Runs fine, it just gets a bit slower to respond to damper changes and takes a bit longer to recover after refueling.

The trick to keeping it running when it's warm outside is to send enough heat to the chimney to keep a healthy draft going. I do that by shutting the damper to the water tank end of the range. Then instead of the water tank housing extracting heat from the flue gasses and radiating it indoors, it becomes a heat shield blocking more heat to stay in the range flues to send to the chimney. You could do likewise by putting something like a fiberglass blanket over parts of the chubby, and/or, the stove pipe.

And there's no rule that says you can't open windows to help vent heat out. ;)

Paul

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 3:44 pm

lsayre wrote:
Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 10:21 am
When you speak with Larry Trainer again, ask him if the Chubby can operate long term (day-in and day-out) on "pea" sized anthracite. That will burn slower and therefore cooler overall. The big problem will be that TSC does not offer pea sized anthracite.

Personally, if I lived in Georgia, I don't think I would be considering anthracite coal. Throttling back on a stove somewhat increases the potential for CO to escape into the living space. You will certainly need a few CO detectors. And (TSC aside) the cost of anthracite will likely prove to be prohibitive, and ready availability may be another problem issue.
Pea size would be a problem. My house is 110 year old. I have a CO detector. I put it inwhen i started burning coal in open fire place. I think since the house is 110 years old there is enough leaks to gelp with a CO2 problem.
I have kept the stove going today at 211°. The room it is in is 75°. The house is about 69°. Temp outside is 61° with feels like temp of 58°. As it becomes cold (in about an hour) i will open the ash door window to about half. I havent use blower yet because it appears to put out fire. Still learning stove.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Sounds like your starting to get the hang of it. Chubby can be throttled way down. In October I use a few eco bricks to take the chill out of the air if it gets into the 40s consistently I'll start to use coal.
Last edited by ASea on Mon. Dec. 18, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”