my bridging solution

Badger Freezer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Orbon #244 Tileona Circulator
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut
Other Heating: LP Gas furnace...back-up only

Post by Badger Freezer » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 9:22 am

I have an Orbon Tileona #244 and it has an oval fire pot, dual grates and dual primary air registers in the ash door. It is very prone to bridging, BUT...I've found a solution for my application.
I do the normal shake, while looking into one or both primary air registers, if no embers begin to appear after normal shaking; I open the loading door and push down the coal bed with my hooked poker. Depending on the amount of lit coal, I will do one of two things. If the coals are low and need to be livened, I'll let them get going pretty good and add a small amount of fresh nut size, to start and so on. If I had a real good amount (over half the firepot) of lit coal, I'll liven them real good and then fill 'er up, shake until ember drops, close the load door, shake again...until I see embers drop, close the primaries and then set the dampers. according to the OAT.
My key was... shake, no ember,(liven if needed) tamp, add coal and close loading door, shake again until embers fall, close primaries, set check draft, close MPD. Works for me!

I can think of thousand reasons not to smoke, but not one reason to smoke.

Attachments

20171130_080148.jpg

Orbon firepot

.JPG | 391.5KB | 20171130_080148.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”