Fired the Hitzer (at last!)

Bagodonuts
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea Blaschak anthracite

Post by Bagodonuts » Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 8:30 pm

I had posted some questions here back in Dec. '15 and Jan.'16 about the new Hitzer 50-93 I bought. I got good info and especially good help from Freetown Fred in PM's. It has taken me this long to get moved into the house and I finally fired the Hitzer last Saturday. I've been sneaking up on it since. I think I finally have it putting out heat like I think it should but I'm used to my old Efel in my last house and I have a few questions. I have the thermostat dialed up to 10, I didn't think I was going to have to use a setting that high when I saw the size of the stove. Normal? Too high? I bought a Rutland magnetic thermometer and I'm seeing about 110 degrees on the stack a few inches up from the top of the stove. 350 degrees on the top surface and 280 on the side opposite of the shaker handle. Sound reasonable? At a rate like this how often should it need to be shaken down? Do you guys need to fill the hopper more than once a day? I'm using Blashchak nut anthracite, I'm in NE.Pa. and we've been in the 20's and 30's temp wise since I fired it. I just don't want to make a mistake with it, like I said I've been running a 30 year old Efel for years and it really isn't anything like this Hitzer. Thanks for your help

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 9:16 pm

B, cause it's brand spankin new, I'm thinkin the bi-metallic needs to settle in-if I was at 10, I'd be wearin--NOTHIN__ with windows open. Tendin every 12 hrs is a real good time line--I shake the grates 4 or 5 good shakes & top off the hopper every 12 hrs.. I forget how much you're heating & where the stove is located--Yeah, forget the EFEL--2 different critters. Can you guesstimate how much coal in a 24 hr period. Just for giggles & ha-ha's count the balls on the bi-thermo chain from the loose end & see if you're around 28--that was approx. on my old girl.

DENNIS BAUER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 - SOLD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95 - Garage
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HITZER 50-93 - HOUSE
Coal Size/Type: NUT
Other Heating: PROPANE FURNACE, ELECTIC BASE BOARD, AND WOOD FIRE PLACE

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 1:44 pm

I bought a new stove this fall, a 50-93 and like you am running between 9 and 10. I haven't done the count like suggested about but am running the same temps you are for the stove spots that you have measured. Everything you're saying lines right up with mine. I just assume that I'll shorten up the chain but was told that the best way to do this was when the stove was cold so it will have to wait until spring because I'm not shutting down at this point.
We'll see how it goes if I have to bump up to near 11 with low teens coming tonight and single digits tomorrow night. With high winds.
Best money I've spent, switching from the Keystoker 105 to this thing. It blows the 105 out of the water. And the best part is no power needed!

Also I have I have my monometer hooked up and running between .04 and .06 draft right now. little higher if the back damper is open on the stove.

I did find that going between 8.5 to 9.5 raised the over all house temp about 4 degrees. Running right about 71*

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 4:04 pm

D, just count the hangin balls & see what ya got--YES--a spring adj. I'm just curious with these new 50-93's

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 4:19 pm

DENNIS BAUER wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 1:44 pm
I just assume that I'll shorten up the chain but was told that the best way to do this was when the stove was cold so it will have to wait until spring because I'm not shutting down at this point.
Nah! The only reason to do it when the stove is cold is so you don't burn your fingers, but I think you can avoid that danger. My stove is not a Hitzer but the bi-metal control is essentially the same. Make the adjustment one ball at a time -- I was surprised how many degrees difference one link makes. Mine has 10 increments on the dial, and I adjusted chain length so at "5" it runs about 300 degrees, which I figure is about the middle of the range I want to cover.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 4:25 pm

R, why screw around with it--if she's runnin great at 9 or 10 who cares. It's her sweet spot AND--if it ain't broke, blah,blah,blah. By spring that bi-metallic will be seated/ broke in. These dials go up to 15--at least mine does, so they got more if needed.

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 4:27 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 4:04 pm
D, just count the hangin balls & see what ya got--YES--a spring adj. I'm just curious with these new 50-93's
I will tonight, I've been meaning to but just haven't yet since I didn't think it'll do much for me since I can't set it correctly. I was to excited to get fired up that I didn't read up on the part of setting it before the stove was hot. Oh well, that can be done next year if need be. Unless you shut down and we can get a count on it.

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 4:29 pm

rberq wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 4:19 pm
Nah! The only reason to do it when the stove is cold is so you don't burn your fingers, but I think you can avoid that danger. My stove is not a Hitzer but the bi-metal control is essentially the same. Make the adjustment one ball at a time -- I was surprised how many degrees difference one link makes. Mine has 10 increments on the dial, and I adjusted chain length so at "5" it runs about 300 degrees, which I figure is about the middle of the range I want to cover.
I was kind of thinking about it but no reason to screw with it this year. Seems to be working like a champ and I'm still learning on this stove. We'll see as the winter goes along. Also going to be dipping down into the single digits this week so we'll see what I need to keep up but by far this is way better then the Keystoker 105.

Bagodonuts
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea Blaschak anthracite

Post by Bagodonuts » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Ok, I'm back. Thanks for the input everybody. Fred, I counted the balls on the free-hanging part of the chain-15. The thermostat does indeed go up to 15 like you said. It's been burning roughly one 5 gallon bucket of coal a day. I see on the post from Rberq to adjust just 1 ball at a time, if you think I should adjust the chain I'll move it one at a time. He also mentioned running at 300 degrees. What kind of range is OK for the Hitzer? What kind of temp. would you say is the max I should see on the top of the stove? I don't want to overheat this thing. I'm looking at a couple days of cold air too like Dennis so the Hitzer is already saving me money. It's working great, no complaints but I just want to get as much out of it as I can without hurting anything . Thank you all for the help!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:34 pm

B, 40 lbs (5 gal. pail) is what I'm using no matter the temps. Leave her be. Come spring go to 28 balls & that should put you right, or real close, to full range on the dial.

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Bumped mine up to 10 this evening when I got home, stove when calling for heat is just under 400°. Brought house temp back up to 70°. Outside temp right now is 10°. Fell like a stone out since 6pm.

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:36 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:34 pm
B, 40 lbs (5 gal. pail) is what I'm using no matter the temps. Leave her be. Come spring go to 28 balls & that should put you right, or real close, to full range on the dial.
28 hanging? Or from air inlet?

I'm also one 5 gallon bucket a day since November

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:40 pm

She'll do what she's meant to do D! :) Did you count your balls?? Whoops, not yours personally!!! LOL The chain.:)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:49 pm

28 from loose end.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:51 pm

BUT, leave her be now--that internal spring on the bi-metallic tightens & loosens with heat from the stove body

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”