617 warm morning stove need your input

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Gents no pics but stove is in a 840 foot partial basement .Half insulated to R ii other 2 walls buried all but 6 inches of the concrete wall .Floors have insul removed to heat above area .Big question THe Draft mechanism on ash door Is a 3 by 5 inch piece of steel to expose your hole in ash door .See Asea who recently posted a Warm Morning model 120 stove .I have to twist the small door for draft .There are No Slider holes or roundspinners like on a Harmon stove .Is anyone using a Piece Of Steel or other something To Act As A Draft Guide .I bought half insh an five eights bolts to act as a guide .Not working .I am open for ideas . jackCurrently checking the stove temps with a I R gun .Your opinions welcome .

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Try a drill bit set. Pinch door against drill bit in one of the corners.
A set of drills in 1/64 might do the trick for you.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi jack, are you asking if your primary air door is suppose to twist?...cuz I believe they twist and tilt up towards the ceiling, it looks a little odd compared to other stoves but it works. sorry if I'm off the mark :baby:

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Jack, here is a pic of the front of that stove.

the little cap at the top middle of the air intake on the ash door is spring loaded and holds the intake open at the spot desired.

the tab at the right side of intake is where you push it up or down to set the air intake. it travels straight up and down not out away from the door.

i was sure from your other comments that you had this worked out. are you saying it's not staying in the spot you open it to ?

if that's the case, something to bust up rust and grit sprayed into the opening on the spring cap usually do the trick. all that kind of stuff is flamable so be careful to let the stove cool before using it.
IMG_1658.gif

617a

.GIF | 272.5KB | IMG_1658.gif
if you are using .04 for your mano. setting you should be able to use something from 1/8 to 1/4" of opening at any corner of the draft plate.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Steve I am turning theWhole little door Down to the floor at left side .To run 400 towarm this thermal wood an concrete mass that's what I do .So are you saying the Little Center Screw Opens out for Primary Air Like A spinner .Its frozen an Allentown is gettibg Low Teens this week .The screw is locked I had no No idea what it was for .Am I ok with what I am doing .Now on left side I have a Triangular Opening from a sixteenth to about an Inch.Please reply as seems not certain how to run this .Jack

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Jack i'm sorry i seem to have added to the confusion.

here is a pic of the door on a 100# stove ( WM #120 ) it's just the same as yours but it pivots on the bottom instead of the top like on your stove.

the little cap nut doesn't open for air control, it's there to hold the air plate were you set it.

do you feel like you have to much or too little heat down there, you said in PM it's like 90* down there and you have a triangle of space open from like a 1/16 at one end to an inch at the other.

the opening shown in the pic is about where i ran mine. some where between what you are open now and this pic is going to be where you want to be.
IMG_2040.gif

2 little slivers of opening at each end of the plate about 3/16 - 1/8" down to nothing.

.GIF | 323.1KB | IMG_2040.gif

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Dec. 10, 2017 8:53 am

side note, jubileejerry has said he sets his according to the tone of the whistle of the air going thru the plate opening.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”