New chubby update

Wood slave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby stove
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal

Post by Wood slave » Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 11:09 am

Hey all, just updating my new experience with burning coal and using my brand new chubby!! I believe this is my 3rd wk or so using the chubby and it has been smooth sailing. I have lost the fire I believe 3 times but 2 of the times I wanted to see how long she would go untouched. All I have to say is wow, 20+hrs on a load just level with the top of the firepot. It has been easy to get my coal burning just from kindling, 15 min or so and I'm loading the pot full! Averaging about 15-18 lbs of coal a day rite now running the chubby at about 375*! Weather has been oddly warm, but has turned cold now hopefully for good for the winter. Now, I did install a baro(field controls) model on the chubby last wk. installed Thursday before work set it about the middle of the scale on the baro (.4-.5), did fine for Thursday and Friday. We woke up Saturday morning to my CO monitor going off!! Not sure what happened other than thinking it was getting warm outside and lost draft and was coming through my baro??

WS

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Loss of draft is common during warm weather. Even if the baro wasn't installed, the flue gases can escape thru the combustion air openings during a draft failure.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 9:47 pm

It never hurts to watch Larry's instructional video a few times. Our Chubby rear vent model has been fantastic. I've also taken to lighting mine with Match light charcoal, it tends not to mess up the mica as much.Nothing beats a Coal stove on the coldest of days. Good Luck I hope you enjoy it!

We would love to see pictures of your installation.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”