Basement Stove?

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 6:47 pm

My Grandfather heated a 1500sqft ranch from the uninsulated basement with several different stoves over the years. The windows upstairs were always cracked. My Grandmother would shout into the basement "GEORGE! STOP *(&^ING WITH THE STOVE" after opening the screen door in January LOL! The whole reason I am now a Coal Burner LOL! He would shout something back up the stairs and would open the bulkhead to let some heat out.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 7:00 pm

keegs wrote:
Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 6:39 pm
I ...have a wood stove installed in the basement but I haven't used it yet. I think I have a nest inside the flue. I can't say though whether it's better one way or the other.
It depends on who you ask. For the birds, it's better without the stove. For you, it's better without the nest. :roll2:

Mike

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 7:31 pm

gardener wrote:
Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 10:16 am
Is the insulation exposed?
That would make the most sense since foil needs airspace to reflect the heat.
But then does that mean you get a the hall of mirrors effect when walking through your basement?

Previous owners of our house 'finished' half of the basement. They put up strips and 1/2 or 1 inch thick insulation between and hung drywall over that. I don't care for how they did it, but its better than looking at the insulation. I am keen on this thread since I need to tear out the 'finished' portion to renovate and I want to put a coal burning insert in the basement fireplace.
Yes the insulation is exposed but after the holiday's I plan to start covering the foil. I like a product called FRP, 4 X 8 sheets of white poly, guessing 1/16 of an inch thick and has an orange peel texture...boy it's pricy.

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 11:35 pm

What type of insulation can be used on the out side of the basement walls? Wont it get crushed by the soil that is backfilled?

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Tue. Dec. 05, 2017 1:38 am

It's pretty common with new construction up here in norther Maine. They usually use 2" extruded foam in 4x8 sheets and run it log ways from the footing up to the sill and then They backfill carefully. I parged over the board above ground. A lot of work that was but they say UV light breaks down the foam. And I didn't like looking at a blue foundation. :)

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Dec. 05, 2017 5:37 am

The 2” stuff is very tough! People use it under there slabs also.

Attachments

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”