What do we have here...?

LilChickieeT

Post by LilChickieeT » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! So we live off grid and our main heat source is this coal stove. I have a tendency to shake it harder than needs to be done. (Supposedly) That combined with the fact that the stove is very old and the handle is wearing out is getting me in a lot of trouble these days, LOL. I was wondering if anybody can help me avoid further unhappiness from my other half by helping me more accurately identify our stove, and share with me if you happen to know if we are able to buy a new arm for the shaker portion. I would greatly appreciate it as this beach bum living in the lake effect snow area will be in a really bad place if I do break the shaker arm, as I’ve already had to empty and restart the stove several times due to my overzealous shaking of the coals. I was told it is a Moravian stove and they stopped making them in 1973. The closest thing I can find looks like it is made by the Quaker Stoce company, but that is all I have to go by. Thank you for any and all help.

Attachments

227FB507-4028-44F4-B5CE-64E529D95223.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.1MB | 227FB507-4028-44F4-B5CE-64E529D95223.jpeg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 4:34 pm

It does appear to be the Moravian--but that is a wood burning stove--does your stove have an ash pan & grates--you did say handle--I'm guessing for grates--possibly Quaker had an adaptor kit to go to coal--BUT, where does your ash go--

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 4:38 pm

-- Lookin again--yes you have a ash door with pan I presume--the powers to be say it is quite the stove--quit shakin so hard--more pix would really help--ash door open--looks like you're burning wood in the pix??? PS, close that top spinner when burning coal!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 8:36 pm

That does look like a Quaker Stove. I've seen them for sale before but I have never seen a coal burning one like yours. They look really neat. If you could post a picture of your shaker, maybe we can figure out if other stoves have the same part. Quaker folded up decades ago so they can't sell you one.

Fred, you might want to tone down your avatar a bit, this is a family show after all.

-Don

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Come on D, that's a family picture--Rack contest at the local gun shop--she's the winner so far--10 pointer. Who knows, it's early in the season! .>)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 10:48 pm

You dont know how hard I laughed when i saw that Fred! :lol: But can she load a Hitzer? :lol:

And yes, thats a very nice looking stove!

LilChickieeT

Post by LilChickieeT » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 1:06 pm

Coal stove.jpg

The serial number cracks me up!

.JPG | 631.5KB | Coal stove.jpg
grates.jpg

grates photgraphed from below-ish with the door open

.JPG | 437.1KB | grates.jpg
stove arm.jpg

note the feeble attempt at extending the life of the shaker arm- duct tape can fix anything, right?! lol

.JPG | 385KB | stove arm.jpg
thingy.jpg

round thingy of unknown use

.JPG | 358.6KB | thingy.jpg
So the info plate showed up, but it still doesn't help us much...

The stove, I am told, is a "hybrid"- either coal or wood. We use coal, but when I am just getting it started, I add a log or two to get it going. (Hey, the only burning I am used to is done in a bikini on a beach, so all this is new to me!)

There is usually 1-2 bags of coal in it at a time (roughly 40-50 lbs per bag-ish) when it is completely fired up & filled. I used to shake it often & hard, but not since the arm is getting "wallered out." (Southernese) I had added the hardware cloth briefly to see if it would prevent the smaller big pieces of coal from getting stuck in the grates- not effective, but I was getting desperate! It has since been removed. The light jiggling doesn't seem quite effective either, so we just need to find a new arm or have one fabricated. (Still would mean down time...) Any suggestions?

BTW, what is the "round thingy" above the doors? Is that what was stated as needing to be open? (Wouldn't know which way is open or closed...) DIdn't have these kinds of issues living at the beach in The Sunshine State!!!

And while I have your attention: Do y'all have/use CO detectors? (We also have propane oven/stove, fridge, & fireplace in the back)

Thanks, LCT

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Keep the top thingy closed when doing coal--it's over-air forwood burning. Might try vice grips on the shaker stub. DEFINITELY CO detector--at LEAST one. What part of Fl.--I spent TO many yrs in Vero Beach!! LOL

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 3:45 pm

LCT,
What's under the tape on the shaker? (A pin, or rivet, or bolt,) with a 'wallowed out' (Northernese!)shaker? I'm thinking a re-drill and a larger bolt to take up the slack.
Cheers

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Missed that, good call D. Hopefully goin bigger won't weaken that handle to the point of breaking. Then it would definitely be vice grips. .>)

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 5:04 pm

LCT,
Thank you, Fred. And, take a couple measurements, and find a machine shop to make a new handle.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Is it possible that the round knob near the top is to control an internal damper ?Is the movement of the knob limited to only 1/2 turn or so ?

Does is turn multiple turns & move in clockwise,out counter- clockwise,does it open a hole behind it ?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”