G111 Continued

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Awesome Joe! Can ya smell that fresh anthy baking? I love the smell of it. Don't call me crazy, addictions are a "sickness" in these times lol

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:56 pm

I had a bag of leftover TSC crap from last season, so I started it off with that, on the wood.
My draft once the wood was going, and some coal dropped in. Kutos to Paulie again for the cool gauge. :)
Hey Lee. There's definitely an aroma. Combination of sulfur, wood, and stove black. Doesn't bother me, but when the Mrs. came home from shopping, she wasn't too pleased.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 10:02 pm

I also have the Cadillac of coal, and have been blending it with the brand X rubbish.
The temps slowly coming on speed.
(More to come)
P.S. In that middle photo franco, you can see how there isn't much pipe in the back to get a good reading on the exit temps. Seems they're always in the 200-250° range.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Looking good Joe !

I was outside putting up some Christmas lights out front and all of a sudden felt a nice warm breeze coming down from the north. A half hour later it was back to bitter cold.

Couldn't figure it out till I saw your post. The temp really dropped here once you closed your mpd. :)

Paulie

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi Paulie. Funny stuff. Hey, don't forget to show off your Christmas decorations. If they're anything like your man cave, you'll be putting the neighbors to shame. :yes:
So these last photos are of the stove after putting it into BB. From beginning to end, I'll say about an hr and a half to get the stove settled in. At the present time, it's been holding steady around 400°, and an .04 draft. (Or if Lee would prefer, an "-.04") :lol:
Guess that's all for now folks. I might've over done the picture session, and probably sound like a kid in a candy store, but that's what I feel like right now. The entire one match light off went W/O a hitch, and it tickles me pink when once in a blue moon, i'll have a tad bit of success. And I have you guys to thank for it.
Now that I'm closed up outside for the winter, I need to clean my cellar workshop, and try and finish them brick molds. :o

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 10:39 pm

That looks awesome Joe! Thanks for sharing you lite off! You'll soon be basking in that radiant heat ;) and the Mrs will be happy.

Looking at it the other way, you could say the pressure outside the stove is +.04

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Funny you say that Lee. My living room T-stat is already reading 72°, while it's set at 65. And if you remember my cleanout pictures last spring, my lower base chambers were 1/2 full of ash, so I'm curious how much more heat she'll throw, now that they're breathing better. Been baking anymore potatoes in your Clayton?

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 6:25 am

Morning all. Woke up to an up-stairs hallway full of heat, and a barrel temp on the stove about 500°. Seems my MPD spring is getting week, and my draft was up about .06, cause the MPD had opened up a bit. Is there a way to retighten that spring? And the living room temp rose to about 78°. Gave the stove a quick freshen up, and off to work I go. Have a productive day people. :)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 10:26 am

A baro will fix that problem ya know :lol: True story.
There are a couple others around here running their BB with a baro, but they remain on the "down low" about it :whistle:

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 5:47 pm

Lee, I know baros have their place, and believe in their intent. But if you look at my pipe in the photo above, I couldn't squeeze a nats...."patooch" anywhere in there, never mind another device.
Had to work a long day, and got home 11 hrs later, to a burning hot fire, (500° on the barrel), and a pot that was still 1/2 full. The klinker door was grey, natch, and I'm in the middle of a good de-ashing and refilling as we speak. And unlike last season, where for some reason I congered up this bad habit of opening the check damper when shaking, (thinking it was suppose to lessen the draft and stifle the fly ashs), but in reality just clogged up my base chambers, I'm hoping this year by not doing that, my stove will last longer. :oops:
So far, I'm into the re-fueling about 15-20 mins, watching the blues, and waiting for my barrel temp to get back up around 350-400, B4 dumping it back into base mode. Unless someone will tell me by having it in DD, W/ an open MPD, I'm sending all the hot gasses up the chimney, and the fresh coals will take off better, if I put it in BH mode when the blues 1st arrive? My barrel temp s at about 300°, and draft with the wide open MPD is about .06.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 5:59 pm

Joe, put some 1/4 inch washers between the pipe and MPD spring. That will increase the spring tension and also reduce the heat that might be getting to the spring and drawing the temper out, making the spring weaker.

Otherwise,... it's looking real good. ;)

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 6:08 pm

Holy Crap... I can see the junk in the pail from here in Southwick Joe :lol:

If you’ve got blues & 300 throw it in base mode but leave the MPD open for a bit more then close it up and see how she runs.

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Dec. 07, 2017 5:59 pm
Joe, put some 1/4 inch washers between the pipe and MPD spring. That will increase the spring tension and also reduce the heat that might be getting to the spring and drawing the temper out, making the spring weaker.

Otherwise,... it's looking real good. ;)

Paul
Thanks Mr. Paul. Good idea W/ the washers. I don't want to have to dis-assemble the rear pipe, so I guess if I take a die-grinder, and cut a slot to the hole of the washers, then I can slide them over the shaft. the spring still seems to have some tension, but the valve sure pivots super easily. I really don't know if I was imagining the opening position this morning, or if Santa is getting dementia, (forgot the date) and tried coming through my chimney. :roll:
And Scott, you picked up on the TSC coal with all the debris in it? Pretty nasty stuff, huh? But in it's defense, it "does" burn. Just won't win any Miss America contests.

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Fri. Dec. 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Oooh!! Pretty! The stove and windows.

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Dec. 08, 2017 9:49 pm

Thanks Jen. Waiting for a nice photo-shoot of your finished 116. Or have you already posted that, and I've missed it?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”