G111 Continued

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Getting ready to light my 111 for cuff use. Can anyone help with an ash pan. Inside I have a little issue too.

Attachments

100_1015.JPG
.JPG | 468.9KB | 100_1015.JPG

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 4:43 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 9:57 am
Not to take anything away from the big stove owners, but when you can get a small firepot stove to consistently run at it's longest, you have truly mastered the "art" of burning coal. And it sounds to me like your there, Joe. ;)
Paul
Thanks Paul, and once again you know I have you guys to thank for it.
CN, your bricks look pretty good. I don't see any problem at all. Hey, where's your upper grate? Can't wait to hear about your stove. I don't have any extra pans for ya, but you know where the candy store is. For now, maybe you can find one of the wifes cake pans she won't miss, and try it out. ( :stfu: I won't tell, if you don't)

And my experiment continues. Tried something today, for the 1st time.
My normal ritual was to tend 3 times a day. B4 work, after work, and B4 bed. The B4 work was the quickest, and least thorough, the one at bedtime was second in line, but coming home from work, I would spend the most time, shaking her down, and reloading for the night. This morning, I didn't do anything to the stove, "except", take my poker, and stab the grate pile a couple three times, and that was it. No heating up, riddle down, and topping off, just a couple jabs, that I couldn't resist. So here we are, pretty much almost 17 hrs later, and here are the photos.
17 hr burn 001.JPG
.JPG | 290.3KB | 17 hr burn 001.JPG
17 hr burn 002.JPG
.JPG | 251.2KB | 17 hr burn 002.JPG
17 hr burn 003.JPG
.JPG | 153.7KB | 17 hr burn 003.JPG
Sorry for the dark one on the bottom, but you get the idea. It's not reading more than 150-200. You'll notice the pot temp. thermometer is still reading about 400°. It amazes me how long it'll hold this. It appears the top section of the coal bed, is just starting to show ash. But lots of life still available. When I shook it down B4 bed last nite, there wasn't hardly as much ash dropping as what would normally fall. It just tickles me pink. :D I'm gunna let it go for maybe another hr, and see how long to get back up to speed. OFN

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 5:04 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 2:55 pm
Getting ready to light my 111 for cuff use. Can anyone help with an ash pan. Inside I have a little issue too.
So now, it's just a brick lined oak stove ? :?

Paul

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 5:44 pm

No, the top iron work is missing. There is still the connection to the base. I am not sure what he previous owner was thinking of. I will try to get a boroscope down there. One thing is for sure the firebricks are not coming out.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 6:31 pm

Those bricks look premo CN, no need to take them out. You still have the suspended pot feature, even if the upper grate is missing, but another member would operate his 111 W/O it, and said the only problem was loading coal into it. When the level neared the top, some stray pieces would fall between the cracks. I may be able to help you out, depending how you like your stove.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Love this stove, got to get it in action. I also have a 109 but not quite man enough for the application I have in mind. Beef stew, boil it up and then transfer it to the stove and leave it all day... yummy. This is an orange and cinnamon pot pourri.

Attachments

100_0484.JPG
.JPG | 462.1KB | 100_0484.JPG

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Now I'm confused CN. What stove is that? Thought you were firing up a G111?

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Well, once again, my patience ran out, and I tended to the stove...after almost an 18 hr burn. it refired normally, and didn't dump but 1/2 the ash. Here's a couple photos, one of the ash pan that was burning for all that time, and the pot from above. I'll admit, I did throw a small scoop and a half on top, B4 shaking it down. I wasn't sure how much waste would end up in the pan
less ash 001.JPG
.JPG | 261.6KB | less ash 001.JPG
less ash 002.JPG
.JPG | 221.3KB | less ash 002.JPG
I know I wasted some good coal into the pan, but I really wanted to shake it good, to clear as much ash as I could, out of it. I'm curious about the amount of coal that has been burning for a day and a half, and how much substance is left in it. I would've thought the stuff would be so burned down, it would turn to powder during the shaking. i usually would go through a bag a day, but haven't opened a new one for a couple days. It really hasn't eaten that much. I know the heat out put is nothing like a G6, or similar stove, that would still be heating a house after that length of time. The barrel temp on this little thing was pretty cool, but the pot stayed hot. Has its good points, and bad points. But after these past couple days experiments, I'm pretty satisfied with the performance. I wouldn't be surprised if it would hold heat in the pot for over 20 hrs, (at these low settings, and covered in fines) but don't really see a need to. Be interesting to see what mother nature has in store for us the next few weeks. We're pretty warm here right now, and I only have a weeks worth of LA nut left. I could buy more if needed. We'll see what happens. I might try experimenting, (again), and try running it W/O throwing the fines on it. Think I already was running that way, but it can't hurt, to try again.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Now I'm confused CN. What stove is that? Thought you were firing up a G111?
Yes I am but all these ideas will continue with a 111 - yes?

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 8:12 pm

So is the stove in your pic an "our Glenwood" #9? And sure, the basics goin on here would apply to all stoves, differences being in amount of coal held, and length of burn. Is that 9 a suspended pot, holding about 30-40 lbs?

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Smaller pot. So when I get up for a night urination I would have to go downstairs and that is a deal breaker.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 10:58 pm

You've totally lost me bro. That's OK.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Mar. 01, 2018 7:43 pm

That style of ash door that has to lift over a hook to close is rarely airtight as well as the shutter type of air inlet. I suspect that is why the internal bypass for primary air was supplied, because it is the only way to truly restrict air through the coal bed.

I would measure the over fire draft through the secondary air holes with everything closed completely. Then set the draft to .02 using the MPD and internal draft bypass, and see what happens

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Mar. 01, 2018 8:06 pm

franco b wrote:
Thu. Mar. 01, 2018 7:43 pm
That style of ash door that has to lift over a hook to close is rarely airtight as well as the shutter type of air inlet. I suspect that is why the internal bypass for primary air was supplied, because it is the only way to truly restrict air through the coal bed.

I would measure the over fire draft through the secondary air holes with everything closed completely. Then set the draft to .02 using the MPD and internal draft bypass, and see what happens
I agree with franco b, until I put rope gasket around the inside edge of the load door and the ash pan door my stove had a mind of it's own. It's now like a wild dog with a shock collar! ;)

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Mar. 01, 2018 10:59 pm

I seem to be drifting further and further away in understanding the responses. CN is stating he has a G111 ready to fire, yet shows a photo of a G9 (?), which neither are listed in his profile, but I guess some people have many stoves not listed, and FB, are you giving me a tip on how to get even more miles out of my stove, by making a better seal around the stove?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”