G111 Continued

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 2:43 pm

somehow, i have to question the idea of not enough exhaust flow, since the coal is burning up.

though i have to admit that i have to stay out of getting too deep into this because i had issues with the C40 that went along these lines so i want to avoid superimposing them on to this.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 2:50 pm

You've been there too Steve, so I value your input also.
I was wondering about fly ash heading up into our manometers. Is that a concern, cause I don't see any type of filtration mechanism that wouldn't influence the readings.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Joe...I may sound like a broken record, my apologies. Just trying to help you out. I figured since we have identical stoves we can compare notes. The base chamber shouldn't fill with that much fly ash to be a concern. I've gone a whole season and haven't accumulated enough ash down there to cause any issues. Although, like they say every install is different. I have great draft and a nearly straight vertical flue out the top of my stove. Your fuel is definitely all exhausted, kudos to a great stove design. If your topping off the stove to it's max then you may need to find some time to throw some coal on between tendings. Your numbers look great, stove temps and mano reading. I run my stove a bit hotter than yours and she purrs like a kitten. Mano hovers around -.03 with average barrel temps ~500. The one thing I did noticed is it can get quite ash bound. I give her a really good cleaning at least once a day. I pull the dump grate and go to town. I honestly dump a good amount of charged coal into the pan during this process but find it's the only way to get a good clean pot. The ash gets so mixed up in the coal bed! If I don't do a good enough cleaning I start to notice, the stove gets sluggish and ash bound. I'm not able to fit enough coal in to get me the burn times I need. That darn ash just eats up so much prime real estate. I then run across a situation similar to yours, a limp fire that I need to nurse back with barely enough fuel left to do it with. My money is on the coal bed getting ash bound. Just for kicks, get a roaring fire prior to your next tending. Pull the dump grate and clean out the stove real good. You'll loose some glowing coal, nature of the beast. Once done digging then shake her down real good, fill her up, button her up and report back. Good luck my friend.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 3:07 pm

I'm running HOT and can't burn more than 20# per 12hr cycle.
Joe's stove should hold a good 40#.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Big +1 Tommy...

Joe, it sounds like you just mess with it way too much.

Try this now in this order if you have the time...

Fully open the MPD.

Put the stove in direct draft.

Close the secondary air fully.

Open the clinker door 1inch.

Open the primary air shutter fully.

Open the ash pan door, remove the ashpan and empty. Before re-installing, visually check with a flashlight that the check is fully closed.

Leave the ashpan door open 1inch.

Let the stove accelerate until the coals a bright.

Now do your shakedown routine. Make SURE the coal bed has ZERO ash.

Add 1/3 pot of CLEAN coal.

Open the secondary air fully.

Leave the stove opened up till it catches then continue until the pot is topped off.

When the last load has roaring blues...

Close the clinker door.

Close the ashpan door and close primary air down to 1/8 inch.

Put the stove into base mode.

Fully close the MPD.

Close the secondary air fully.

After 2 hours running like this report back with barrel temps and draft readings.

If the numbers are good go through the EXACT same procedure before bed.

I bet you will be mint in the morning... then simply do the same thing and you should be set for the day.

That stove should easily produce barrel temps of 350-450 degrees for the time you are at work with plenty left for an easy reload.

✊

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 3:25 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 2:43 pm
somehow, i have to question the idea of not enough exhaust flow, since the coal is burning up.
What kind of sorcery is that? How does not enough exhaust flow = the coal is burning up? That seems backwards to me. How can combustion air get in to burn up the coal charge if there isn't enough exhaust flow to make room for it? Inquiring minds want to know :lol:

Edit - I know. I'm a pain in the a$$ thanks for putin up with me ;)

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 5:27 pm

You are correct my point was the coal is burning up so it can't be either to little primary or very low flue pressure resulting in to little flow out of the stove

I'm not keeping up with what's going on for sure but it is lamentable familiar

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 5:37 pm

OK men, we're back live...again. (Thanks Matchlight. Invest now, tomorrow you'll be way ahead) I know everyone is probably glued to their TV about now, to watch the big game. So I don't expect much responses till tomorrow. But thanks for all the comments so far.
Tom, don't ever think you're repeating yourself too much. Sometimes it's just what my pin-head requires. I apologize to all who feel they have been repetitious. Like Scott, with his check-list, that I'm sure you've already written, in my 1st season thread, and the 2nd, and now the 3rd. I feel I'm already incorporating most of what "yall" are sayin, but wish some-one out there had my same stove in operation. I know Toms is the closest, and being smaller should be more finicky than mine. My 111 pot is 10" x 12", and will barely take a hod and a half, and that's when starting new, like right now. After a few days of burning, shaking down, and topping off, I'll probably get 20lbs of fresh stuff, on top of the worn out 10-15lbs left burning. And that's on a good day.
Anyway, I'm about 1/2 way to completing it's next cycle, My manometer is displaying it's "newly adjusted", (thanks Mike) -.05, but the pot is trying to take off. Grate is glowing, about 6 lbs of Matchlight is beginning to ignite about 15 lbs of LA stove size.
Steve, I did install another provision to read the draft right next to the draft regulator, "inside" the barrel. I'll keep everyone posted. Have fun with your Superbowl party. :yes:

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 5:44 pm

So only .05 in direct draft with the MPD fully open? Seems way low.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 5:49 pm

The coal is still black Scott. it's not really lit off yet. blue ladies are barely there. "Patience grasshopper". when the torch is lit, the draft will improve. :)

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Something is wrong with your chimney or you have a large internal draft leak.

I would think you should be getting a full 1.0+ draft right now😳

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 6:23 pm

I checked the chimney a week or 2 ago Scott, and it's clean. If you'll go back a page or 2, you'll see what came out of my clean-out. If there's a problem anywhere, I'm starting to wonder about the accuracy of the gauge. Mike mentioned it, so I pulled the hose, and it was stuck at -.03. and I just installed another port, for the hose in the CC, as Steve requested, but right now it's plugged off. While I had the hose off my mano connection, I was wondering about any crud collecting in the nipple or hose to the gauge itself. While playing with it, it wouldn't repeat back to 0.If I gently blew through the hose, I could swing the needle. with a gentle suction, I could pull it the other way. after doing that, it went to 0, so that's where it's installed or set at right now. I'm gunna check it everyday, for a while, till I'm satisfied. i know it's a good quality gauge, just not so sure about it's serviceability right now. It could be right, but I haven't a means of checking it.
Anyway, the stove is at full power, and burning good. I've turned the MPD to 45°, and the primary damper to about 3/8ths, and we'll take it from there...again.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Bueller .... Bueller .... Bueller ?

TOTP :D

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 8:31 pm

He's laid up in bed...tweaked his back throwing the stove out of the window!!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 8:57 pm

tcalo wrote:
Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 8:31 pm
He's laid up in bed...tweaked his back throwing the stove out of the window!!
In the Newman voice..."Oh the humanity" lol!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”