G111 Continued

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 5:18 pm

Joe,

Lots of pix of my 1903 Sunny range throughout the Cookin' With Coal thread (and many other kitchen ranges). Most recently, a bunch on page 138.

Paul

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Alright Paul, I'll go check em out.
Hey Paul...TOTP!^^^^ :lol:

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 7:29 pm

With 145 pages in the Cookin with Coal thread....
Joe might be back next week sometime. :lol:

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Good one Dave, but Paul tipped me off on his page, with the pics of his stove, and arrangement. That's what I was interested in. Once I saw it, I remembered it from the past. Very nice set-up. I only wish I could get my wife to have just a "fraction" of an interest. But she's not into it like me, and could care less. When we were younger, and I was just getting the bug, we/(I) saw a cook-top stove at a flea market, so I tugged on her arm and guided her to it with raised eyebrows, pointing out the stove to her. She took one look at it, and sternly bellowed, "You buy it, you're cookin on it!" That was the end of that. :cry:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 10:48 pm

joeq wrote:
Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 6:48 pm
Alright Paul, I'll go check em out.
Hey Paul...TOTP!^^^^ :lol:
Just givin' ya a break 'cause it's Monday. ;) The rest of the week TOTP is all yours,.... get back to work ! :lol:

Joe, your wife's reaction was close to mine when Melissa first saw the range sitting in the back of a stove shop where I'd just bought a wood stove. Being the smart lady she is,...... and knowing the value of a coal range,........ she let me have her way. :lol:

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 11:13 pm

I'm a little confused Paul. We already know Melissa is the smart one, cause she married you, ( :D ), but I don't get it. You said "you" bought the wood stove, but "she"(?) wanted the cook stove? Did you buy the wood stove, and the cook top?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 11:35 pm

After having pipes freeze during a power outage, we were at a stove shop because I was buying a wood stove for backup heat (fire wood is cheap around here).

Melissa asked the salesman if we could cook on the flat top of the wood stove because she grew up with a 100 year old coal kitchen range and liked cooking that way. He said they had just taken an old range in trade and did we want to see it ? She almost tore my sleeve off getting me over to see it.

As we stood looking the Glenwood over, she asked me what did I think. I said, "I just bought a wood stove, why would I buy that ?" She said, "You won't have to, I'm buying it for you." :o

So,.. since she was nice enough to buy it for me, I let her use it, too. :lol:

I set up the range in the kitchen, and the wood stove never got installed. That was 12 years ago.

I finally gave the wood stove to one of my daughters that just recently had a house built.

Paul

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Dec. 05, 2017 6:05 am

joeq wrote:
Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 11:13 pm
I'm a little confused Paul. We already know Melissa is the smart one, cause she married you, ( :D ), but I don't get it. You said "you" bought the wood stove, but "she"(?) wanted the cook stove? Did you buy the wood stove, and the cook top?
See... Now if you had read the book starting at the first page ,you wouldn't have been confused. :P

Joe, what color light did you use in your G111 during the off season ?

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Dec. 05, 2017 5:58 pm

I think the bulb is clear Dave, the holder is off white, and the outlet cover is a sort-a beige, if that matters. :)

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Dec. 05, 2017 7:49 pm

joeq wrote:
Tue. Dec. 05, 2017 5:58 pm
I think the bulb is clear Dave, the holder is off white, and the outlet cover is a sort-a beige, if that matters. :)
Thanks...

I was just curious what color bulb it took to get that warm glow in your last pic.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Dec. 05, 2017 8:28 pm

I figured as much Dave. just kidding. I was surprised also to see a yellow hue coming from a clear bulb. I had to prop it up on a small pail, to get it at the right height, where the bulb wasn't visible. Also ran the cord through the back of the ash pan area, where the check damper slots were, through the RHS base chamber, and out the back clean-out port.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:08 pm

Houston, we have ignition! The fuse is lit! I know, bringing up the rear...again. My life story.
Forecast shows nothing in the 50s for the foreseeable future, and snow dusting this week-end, so why not.
I was 1st planning on using Matchlight, but I think I remember in the past, my stove taking "way" too long to get burning, and I know with wood I can get the fire roaring in seconds, with a screaming draft. Problem with wood is sooting up what little window area this stove has, plus I just changed the Mica, so I was concerned. But I remembered in my Surdiac days, with all the glass, I would use foil to cover it while lighting off. So that's what I decided to do this time.
I started piling in paper, kindling, pine scraps, and some junk leftover walnut and filled the pot. Then I remembered how important it was to let some air into the room, so I cracked open a casement near the stove. opened the ash pan and klinker doors, diverter valve to DD, opened MPD, lit "ONE" ( :D ) match and lit the paper through the ash pan opening to below the grate, and we were off and running! Took about 30 seconds when all of a sudden it sounded like southern California! While it was roaring, I was disappointed to see the draft was a piddly .03. then I remembered I forgot my thermometers, that were still stored away.
I 1st played with the manometer hose connections, and it jumped to an .08 draft, which sounded more better (?). then got out my thermometers, and the games began. No steroids, no cheating, just good old fashion ingenuity . So to shorten this story, I'll go away for a few, and begin posting some pics, if anyone is interested. OFN.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Drop in stack temp. when you switch to base mode would be interesting.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:43 pm

franco b wrote:
Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:20 pm
Drop in stack temp. when you switch to base mode would be interesting.
Well Franco, remember that my stove pipe coming out of the rear vertical stove pipe is only about a foot long B4 terminating into the wall thimble. So I believe the heat radiating from the back of the stove is extremely influential in that reading. I used my IR gun when it was burning wood and coal on start-up, and the exit temp was about 250°. I just dumped it into BB less than an hr ago, and it reads the same. Draft is down to .05, and MPD shut about 45°. Pics to follow.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:50 pm

So here we are, loaded with wood
A little protection for the mica
And the return of "pyro city"

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”