G111 Continued

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Thu. Nov. 19, 2020 5:05 pm

1st post this season, on this thread, and need to identify it as a completely "LOUSEY" year of CV-19.

Anyway, because our temps hit the teens last night, but are scheduled to rise into the 50s soon after, I decided to try something different, and fire up the G111...on "wood". :o
just to try and take the chill outta the air. I had some seasoned locust wood, and started it on some pine scraps from the cellar. Unfortunately I don't have a wood grate, but just tried it on top of the coal grates, and all in all, it worked out OK. Burned from about 5PM-till 10 or so, and it did bring our living area up to a comfortable 73° in an hour or so. I used about 3-4 small logs, and enjoyed the dancing flames. (With very little ash left over... :) ) But I did recognize the fact, the pot needed a bit more attention sooner than coal, and didn't seem to be as hot as anthracite, but I think we all already knew that. Now to get a ton of some nut coal for the future. Still have some stove left over form last season.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Nov. 19, 2020 6:28 pm

Uh Oh the Anth police are gonna be flying over your house in a black helo now Joe!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Nov. 19, 2020 6:40 pm

Joe who ? :eh:

Wasn't he the guy that got shuned from the coal forum for burning wood ? :lol:

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Nov. 19, 2020 10:36 pm

doh.jpg
.JPG | 9.9KB | doh.jpg

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Mon. Nov. 30, 2020 7:40 pm

It's funny how little ash you get from a wood fire after burning coal, isn't it?

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Mon. Nov. 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Wren wrote:
Mon. Nov. 30, 2020 7:40 pm
It's funny how little ash you get from a wood fire after burning coal, isn't it?
That is true!!!

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Nov. 30, 2020 9:51 pm

That is a benefit, but there's always a trade-off. And we all know what they are.
So here it is, a few hrs shy of Dec, and the oats are 63°! Not again. Another Fla winter. Give me some cold air, and even some snow in Dec. I'll take the warmth "after" the new year, thank you very much.

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 12:46 pm

And so 2021 begins. My 111 is hanging in there, doing an admirable job. Getting used to the routine of tending, and it's priorities. Full cleanout, reload, and ash dump after work, once a day. A quick riddle, and dump a couple shovels full to top off, B4 bed, and B4 work. Approx. a bag a day, during most cold temps, running around 450° barrel temp. Primaries opened a sliver, (1/16th of an inch), and MPD mostly shut, when cruising. (Not including refills). This year I'm trying a ton of Blaschack nut, just to mix things up. No problems with LeHigh, just that our local supplier has more of Santa coal. Only got a ton, this season, (so far), 'cause winters don't seem so bad these past few years. Plus had some leftovers from previous. We'll see what mother nature has in store for us.
Happy New Year everyone, and sayonara to 2020. :evil:
014.JPG
.JPG | 608.3KB | 014.JPG

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 1:50 pm

Happy New Year Joe! :)
Freezing rain in the forecast for my area today... :roll:

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 3:34 pm

Thanks Lee. Right back at ya. :)

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Jan. 02, 2021 2:34 pm

Joe, I’m going to ask a question that I’m too lazy to search for

You mention you are using about 40#’s a day, what are you’re OATs and how many sq ft ?

I’m in new territory this season with all new windows, doors, full insulation and a GW No. 6 and have not used 30#’s in 24 hours yet.

Thanks
steve

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 02, 2021 5:04 pm

Hi Steve, temps in my hood average approx. 30s for the highs, and 20s for the lows, but the past few days were a bit warmer on the highs. A few weeks ago it was colder, about 20s high, and teens low. I've only been burning this past month, how 'bout you?
My house is relatively small, about 1500, sq., but I don't run my stove wide open to heat the whole thing. Even on low, my living area is comfortable, and so is the up-stairs close to the stairwell. I've mentioned B4, a bigger stove wouldn't heat the house better, because of the location of the stove. But a bigger stove might be better, because maybe it'll go longer between tending, cause of bigger pots, and ash pans.

If you have a G6 that only uses less than 30 lbs a day, I'll bet you've tightened it up yourself. I haven't really weighed my refills, so I might be off a bit. Most of the time, I'll open a bag a day, but not always. Sometimes it'll go longer. My 111 leaks air like a sub with screen doors. I've never taken the time to do the dollar bill test on the doors, and mine not only has the lower pan door, but also has the transparent clinker door, that I sometimes use for riddling the grate. I'm sure they breath well. When it's on low speed, (which is a lot of the time), I close my primary damper completely, and also shut the MPD close to the "off" position, and the coal will continue to slowly burn. It'll never die out. I call it "idling", and it seems to do OK. I also know the 2 cleanout covers in the back, for the outer lower chambers aren't super tight, but that's on the exhaust side.

Someday, I might do some more work on it, and maybe finish those brick molds too, but for some reason the government won't increase the hours in the day. There just aren't enuff , so it's tough to get everything done, when I want. It sucks having to work for a living, ya know Steve? Such a waste of precious time. Hope you and yours have a profitable, and prosperous New Year. :)

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Jan. 02, 2021 6:54 pm

Thanks for the extensive reply Joe, lots of good info

I’ve been running this stove since Nov 10, when I first started on deep idle i was putting between 15 and 20#’s a day thru it. And like you said it simply won’t stop burning unless there is absolutely no fuel to burn

My C40 was very leaky too and tended to waste fuel as well. As you have suggested I spent a lot of time closing up all those issues on this on to the point Paulie says it’s “water tight “

Your house is bigger than mine so I think you are doing quite well indeed with the 111 all things considered

Side note, I know exactly how you feel about useful personal time while working full time. I’ve been at a job that afforded me 3.5 hours of home time a day for 25 years, it’s been a major effort to get anything meaningful done outside of strick planning and execution.

On 4-10-21 that will change though because I’m retiring from that position. Then I have to decide how much I want to work part time to keep from turning into a mindless toad LOL

Happy New Year to you too. Keep a low profile thru January there’s no telling what craziness could still go on

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Jan. 02, 2021 6:59 pm

"If I could save time in a bottle..., the first thing that I'd like to do....,,,"

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 02, 2021 10:45 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sat. Jan. 02, 2021 6:59 pm
"If I could save time in a bottle..., the first thing that I'd like to do....,,,"
OK Jim.... ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”