G111 Continued

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 10:41 pm

"What's a mother to do?" (with you guys) :)
Have you figured out, my patience is wearing thin. I'm just needin an attitude adjustment, so you'll need to bear with me sometimes.
So I refired on ML (Matchlight), and filled the pot with LA stove, and all was great. When I shook it down B4 bed, a shoveled in some nut coal to top it off, and shut it down for the night. This AM, not only was the fire burnin good, but the pot temp was still up there. Meaning it wasn't ashed up too bad.'Course, it wasn't very old either. Gave it a little poke and shake, topped it off with nut, and back to work. When I returned 9 hrs later, it still looked OK, but was surprised to see that the coal bed level, had dropped more than usual. Maybe the ML turned to dust and fell through? But I brought it back to full speed on LA stove, and it took off in good time. Makin some good heat tonite.
And Steve asked for a little experiment, with draft measurements, so I'm gunna do another thread, so others can participate their findings too, if anyone else wants to join in. I know Paul said he was contemplating too.
(Say it!) :D

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 11:13 pm

joeq wrote:
Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 10:41 pm
(Say it!) :D
TOTP

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 11:47 pm

LOL! (Goodnite Johnboy.) ;)

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 6:47 am

Sounds like all is well..

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Yes it is Scott. Another morning and after work successful burn with the pot temp staying up there. Maybe the combination of the slimmer primary setting, and topping the coal bed with nut, is allowing it to coast better. We'll see after a week or more, and the ash starts collecting again.
So Scott, what's up with Stew? Everything rosy in Southwick or what? Haven't seen anything new from your new stove.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 6:14 pm

joeq wrote:
Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 4:58 pm
Yes it is Scott. Another morning and after work successful burn with the pot temp staying up there. Maybe the combination of the slimmer primary setting, and topping the coal bed with nut, is allowing it to coast better. We'll see after a week or more, and the ash starts collecting again.
So Scott, what's up with Stew? Everything rosy in Southwick or what? Haven't seen anything new from your new stove.
Good news Joe!

Everything is cool here, I’ve been slammed at work and on side jobs, so I’ve been just kinda lurking here mostly 👁.

The Stewart runs fantastic, so it’s kinda boring really 😬. Soon I gotta drag my azz down to skips to pick up a new barrel for the C40 and when spring gets here I’ll have a new project to report on. It’s a square radiant Baseburner I’ve had my eye on. 🤪

I’d like to trim my “collection” hahahahaha down to four stoves so one of the C40’s has to go. I mean...I’ve got to do the little globe stove yet too!

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 7:20 pm

scalabro wrote:
Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 6:14 pm
Good news Joe!

Everything is cool here, I’ve been slammed at work and on side jobs, so I’ve been just kinda lurking here mostly 👁.

The Stewart runs fantastic, so it’s kinda boring really 😬. Soon I gotta drag my azz down to skips to pick up a new barrel for the C40 and when spring gets here I’ll have a new project to report on. It’s a square radiant Baseburner I’ve had my eye on. 🤪

I’d like to trim my “collection” hahahahaha down to four stoves so one of the C40’s has to go. I mean...I’ve got to do the little globe stove yet too!
Hey Scott, how'ld you do that!? The red eye above. Pretty slick little add-on. :yes:
(I can't find it on my keyboard.) :lol:

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 7:27 pm

It’s an iPhone/pad thing🤯

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Oh. (Never mind) :roll:

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 8:42 pm

I always feel like somebody's watching me...👀

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 8:50 pm

Hey, that's a "Micheal Jackson" song, ain't it Tom? 8-)

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 9:19 pm

joeq wrote:
Tue. Feb. 06, 2018 8:50 pm
Hey, that's a "Micheal Jackson" song, ain't it Tom? 8-)
You bet

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Feb. 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Got a little side tracked with me and my neighbors mailboxes getting run over, but still tried keeping up with the 111. Farting around with the manometer hook-ups yesterday also didn't help, cause when I returned home from work today, "another" totally dead coal bed. Did the same topping off with nut, and cut down the primaries and MPD, this morning but something went astray. That's OK, I'm getting good at re-firing with Matchlight. seems next season, I'll be investing in a ton of stove, a ton of nut, and a 100 lbs of Match-light. :roll:
Hey Paul, how much help do you think a mag would do for this little pea-on stove? :idea:

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 10:46 am

Now that my manometer is registering correctly, I can keep track of this stove a little better.
The past few days, burning nut, filling the pot to the max, shutting it down after cleaning, it's been doing fine...again. My stove size LA is dwindling away...again, but it is the middle of Feb. almost, so hopefully the severe cold is on it's way out. The OATS are warming, in the low 30s at night, today, daytime temps expecting to be almost 50°, w/ lots of rain. Hopefully my frozen driveway of ice and snow will disappear. And once again, I will try to get a few draft readings for Steve, (and who-ever is interested), comparing the daft in the combustion chamber, to the stove pipe locations. Now what did I do with that extra length of hose? :roll:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 10:55 am

Are you running the Dwyer Mark II, or did you fix the magnehelic ? What's your draft numbers like now ?

If you can load through the top of the barrel a mag with a lip to suspend it in that opening can de designed. It would need to have a removable lid that seals the top off well.

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”