G111 Continued

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 7:32 am

Happened to my yesterday Joe while I was working on an airplane 😳🤪

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 7:40 am

joeq wrote:
Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 12:37 pm
Meaning all the heat from the combustion chamber, was captured under the bonnet! :o and that could probably be why a week or so ago, I came home to my CO detector going off up in the stairwell. I didn't notice anything unusual about the stove, so I just reset it, and went about my business. It hasn't gone off since. I guess that bonnet has a pretty good fit, cause not much was leaking out from it. But "WOW"! What an eye opener. " :)
An easy mistake, but the take-home lesson here is when the CO detector goes off you have to find out WHY because it should NEVER go off. Sounds like the with all your hard work the G111 is doing real well. Fun stories you tell.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 9:17 am

Know the feeling Mike. :lol:

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 9:19 am

lobsterman wrote:
Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 7:40 am
An easy mistake, but the take-home lesson here is when the CO detector goes off you have to find out WHY because it should NEVER go off. Sounds like the with all your hard work the G111 is doing real well. Fun stories you tell.
It never occurred to me to look under the bonnet lobsterdude. If I was "that" smart, I never would've left the plate out. :oops:

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Been trying to unwind from the previous holiday season. Might as well have had a wood burning stove, cause I've lost the fire 3 times now in the past 2 weeks. Very frustrating. Come home from work less than 10 hrs later to a coal bed so wimpy, ain't even worth saving. Restarted on wood, and will usually get it filled and burning in less than a couple hrs. I'm sure it's mostly in the de-ashing dept. causing the failures, but not 100%. Stove settings and coal provider no change, but today's failure could've been from my daughter trying to help. I asked her while I was in work, and she was home, in the middle of the day, to give the stove a poke, and later I asked her what she did. She said she poked the burning coals, and not the klinker door ash pile. My mistake for not teaching her the technique, but she's only been watching me do it for 'bout 6-7 years now. (With out any interest what-so-ever) :x

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Have her tend the stove while you instruct her what to do a couple few times lol ;)

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Times have changed Joe.

Back when I was a young lad
the pot belly coal stove sat plumb in the middle of our one room school .

From 4th grade on we had to take turns tending the fire or freeze to death.

Just what the heck do they teach these youngins in school today ?

Paulie

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 7:17 pm
Have her tend the stove while you instruct her what to do a couple few times lol ;)
Like I said Lee, absolutely no interest, but like Paulie mentioned, if I shut down the oil furnace, she might think differently. (Or move out)
Pauliewog wrote:
Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 7:55 pm
Times have changed Joe.

Back when I was a young lad
the pot belly coal stove sat plumb in the middle of our one room school .

From 4th grade on we had to take turns tending the fire or freeze to death.

Just what the heck do they teach these youngins in school today ?

Paulie
Let's see, "safe spaces", M, F or "X", how to text, how to get what you want, W/O having to work for it...the list goes on.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 4:56 am

Easy fix joe...instead of buying oil or other creature comforts, invest in a G6. ;)

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Well, I guess a bigger stove would go longer Mike, but it still wouldn't be able to evenly distribute the heat, like Lee's Clayton, or a ducted cellar installed stove would. So I don't think I want to get rid of my automated machine. Just being educated every day to the limitations of a free standing stove, in my house.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 1:54 pm

I hear ya Joe.

None of my daughters wanted to do anything more about staying warm than just moving a thermostat setting when they were in their teens and early twenties.

The two oldest have bought their own houses within the past two years - one with a fireplace, and the other with a wood stove and acres of woods. Now that it's their place and they are paying the heating bills, their attitudes about what it takes to use less expensive fuels have changed 180 degrees .

The one with the wood stove - I give her a few years dealing with all the cutting, splitting, stacking, and carting wood and I think she'll be asking for one of my GW 118. ;)

Paul

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Hey Joe, I've put some thought into heat distribution with a free standing stove in the living area. What I've come up with is installing a duct connecting the heated room to a place at the other end of the house. The duct could either be in a basement crawl space or attic, the vents of course either the floor or ceiling. Circulation would be forced by an in line duct blower. A ceiling vent arrangement could take warm air to the other side of the house, a floor vent arrangement would pump cool air from the other side of the house into the stove room which would persuade the warm air in the stove room to wander towards the other side of the house.

I'm kinda surprised I haven't read about anyone doing that.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Paul, why is it that the human species doesn't recognize their parents intelligence, until their late thirties, or older? When you "give" your daughter your 118, do you think she'll listen to your operating instructions, or just fill the stove with wood?
Lightning wrote:
Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Hey Joe, I've put some thought into heat distribution with a free standing stove in the living area. What I've come up with is installing a duct connecting the heated room to a place at the other end of the house. The duct could either be in a basement crawl space or attic, the vents of course either the floor or ceiling. Circulation would be forced by an in line duct blower. A ceiling vent arrangement could take warm air to the other side of the house, a floor vent arrangement would pump cool air from the other side of the house into the stove room which would persuade the warm air in the stove room to wander towards the other side of the house.

Hi Lee, I've heard many of you talking about better ways of heat distribution, a lot of it involving returns, and one thing I was curious about, was remounting my furnace return, more aimed and in-line with my 111. I'll draw it out sometime in the future, and maybe some of you could give me some advice. As I've mentioned B4, my stove is probably installed in one of the poorest locations I could put it. But a few majors dictated its installation, mostly the chimney. And even that I'm not happy with.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 7:20 pm

" Paul, why is it that the human species doesn't recognize their parents intelligence, until their late thirties, or older? When you "give" your daughter your 118, do you think she'll listen to your operating instructions, or just fill the stove with wood? ........."

When I was in my twenties I asked my father about that. I said. "Dad, how did you get smarter as I got older ? "

I can still remember that silent, dirty look he gave me. :lol:

She grew up with wood stoves and she knows the 118 will do wood or coal. She's asked a lot of right questions and had me show her how coal stoves work compared to wood stoves.

She's got at least 7 acres of woods and she's been using the limb wood that her logger cut up for her.

Her place is two stories, but it's not easy for wood. Ground floor is two truck garage, two horse stalls, and hay storage. All the living quarters are up a flight of stairs on the second floor. I think that carrying wood up those stairs several trips a day, verses one pail of coal will eventually win her over ...... unless she marries a guy with a chain saw. :D

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 2:46 pm

TCALO has done just that with the duct he installed in his attic...

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”