G111 Continued

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 8:48 am

Joe

CN,s G9 is not big enough so he is getting the 111 ready

FB is giving you advanced draft setting advise to attempt further positive results

I doubt your stove needs any additional tightening judging from your recent successes

There I got the TOTP issue out of the way for you :yes:

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 9:51 am

CN,s G9 is not big enough so he is getting the 111 ready
Thank you KC. Mind you in fairness to J I was not making much sense loaded up with Percoset and scotch trying to numb the pain from my big toe wounded by a heavy wrench. The top lid swing out stove feature is fairly rare and could be useful. I will send photos sometime this summer. Coal beats batteries any day of the week. Orders of magnitude more energy available. When I receive my spring coal load I have 800 million btu to play with. I can do a lot with that. This spring I am considering doubling my order. CN say -- overkill is good but more overkill is better.

That argument applies for ICE cars vs EVs as well. Who wants to see a photo of my big toe??? ... I thought not.
Last edited by coalnewbie on Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 10:13 am

joeq wrote:
Thu. Mar. 01, 2018 10:59 pm
and FB, are you giving me a tip on how to get even more miles out of my stove, by making a better seal around the stove?
The pot or batch load is burning too fast, plus you want the slow burning facility for warmer weather. An over the fire draft reading with everything closed will indicate if leaks are happening. You should get zero, but I suspect you are getting much more. Tightening the ash door or using the internal bypass damper can tame that overfire draft for a long burn.

Over fire draft is the one that counts, and it is good to know if there are any differences from other places of measurement ,and if so how much and in what stove configuration such as base burner mode as opposed to direct draft.

King Coal did a lot of good revealing work with this.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 5:47 pm

King Coal did a lot of good revealing work with this.
Got a link?

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 6:00 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 5:47 pm
Got a link?
This was the thread.

Draft Checks

Good discussion with information by Paul, and Lee, and scalabro as well.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 6:46 pm

OK Richard, so I'm assuming what you're saying is because me throwing fines on top of the existing burning coal bed, is a band- aid to the root cause of primary air leaks? I know there's an excess amount of air leaking through my draw center slide cover, (it's broke right now), and I guess I could somehow figure a way to fit a rope seal around the ash door, like Mike suggested, so I'll take that into consideration, this spring, when the stove is out. As for checking for leaks by putting a manometer in the secondary holes of my load door, I think I already am measuring that with the hook-up I did for Steve, that measures the draft inside the CC, in the rear. When I close down the direct draft damper, and put it into BH mode, close my primaries tight, (I just did this), the draft still registers -.03. Not sure how accurate it is, cause I haven't checked 0 in a while, or how long the response time should be but I get the idea. Thanks for the tips, I'll let you know the follow up.
And Steve, you're sayin a G9 is smaller than a 111? But a 6 is bigger, and an 8 even more. I'll never get used to Glenwoods identifications.
CN, I hope your foot feels better. I can relate. :cry:

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 8:53 pm

ah, the draw center handle cover. i thought about that earlier but didn't remember you having a problem with it.

of all the specific features of this type of stove i think that is the most problematic and responsible for the most uncontrolled air leakage when they are bad.

the one on the Crawford i had was less than perfect and caused me a world of frustration. it can be dealt with by using it as the primary inlet and keeping most if not all of the true primary closed as much as possible.

i could be wrong but i thought the our glenwood 9 had the same size fire pot as the G109 so pretty similar out put potential ?

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 8:55 pm

And Steve, you're sayin a G9 is smaller than a 111? But a 6 is bigger, and an 8 even more. I'll never get used to Glenwoods identifications.
and a 113 is between 111 and 6 and a stove I would die for.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 9:08 pm

Opening the internal bypass damper a bit should show some result with longer burn time.

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Mar. 02, 2018 9:53 pm

B4 I go to bed, and prep the stove for the night, if the draft is still a little high, I'll crack the check damper, (W/O covering the coal pile with fines), and see how that works for the night. I'll be glad to use the damper, cause it really hasn't benefited me so far.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Mar. 03, 2018 8:36 am

I just spent 15 mins. typing up a follow-up, and somehow lost it. :evil:
(I'll be back later, after I go smash something)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 03, 2018 9:06 am

Joe,
What works on big stoves doesn't always work on small stoves,..... and vis-versa. ;)

There's a very good reason Glenwood (and other stove makers) included check dampers in many of their coal-only stove designs. And the value of one is more evident with the smaller, less-forgiving firebed stoves.

With the small firebox of the range, I found that when the draft is very strong due to colder temps, the check damper works much better than blanketing with fines, and/or, smaller sized coal on top. While blanketing works with a large firebed stove, by using the check damper built into the range, the firebed did not get "clogged up" as quickly with ash.

When I wanted the stove to recover without getting into more work of ash shaking and refueling with larger, faster burning coal to get it putting out more heat quickly, all I had to do was close the check damper. Because the firebed was not as ash-choked from being blanketed, it recovered faster due to better airflow through the fire bed.

So, I only use up the fines to slow a really hot fire. And I only mix in the smaller bits to slow it during daytime heating use when it's really cold outside, such as single digits and below.

With the #6 having twice as big of a firebed, I've yet to use the check damper in the Glenwood pipe elbow that originally comes with the stove. Using just variations in coal size and adding fines it will cruise along much more forgivingly without "clogging up" as easily as the smaller firebed would.

Both stoves are using 6 inch pipe, but the smaller firebed is only feeding half the exhaust volume into the same size pipe and that makes it much more sensitive to the firebed being able to "breath".

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Mar. 03, 2018 9:40 am

OK, I had some breakfast, and have gotten over my "temper tantrum". :oops:
My whole train of thought is lost from my previous ghost post. So I'll respond to yours Paul.
You mentioned using your check damper to revive a fire by closing it, which makes me think your damper is "open" more than closed? Once your fire has been established to the hotter temp you desire, does that mean you open it back up? Fully? Partially?
You also stated that a smaller fire pot is more sensitive to draft in a 6" pipe, compared to a bigger stove. Maybe I'm viewing this incorrectly as an automotive exhaust system comparison again, in that a smaller tube hedder works better on a smaller engine for breathing, but becomes a restriction on a larger cube motor. So a big 6" stove pipe acting on a smaller firebed, I would think to be "less" responsive. (?)

I did as FB suggested last night, and pulled my check damper out "slightly", and 8 hrs later (this morning), it appeared to work as well as dumping on a pound of magic dust. The barrel temp was down, and the firepot gauge read healthy, about 450 degrees. And it recovered pretty quickly. Curious how it would perform on a 20 hr burn, like the past few days using fines. I won't be able to experiment with that for a couple days seeing it's the week-end, and my daughter came home from Syracuse college, so we'll want to have some extra heat. But I think what you (Paul) said about the fines clogging the coal bed, and needing extra attention makes sense. Thanks guys.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 03, 2018 10:12 am

joeq wrote:
Sat. Mar. 03, 2018 9:40 am
OK, I had some breakfast, and have gotten over my "temper tantrum". :oops:
My whole train of thought is lost from my previous ghost post. So I'll respond to yours Paul.
You mentioned using your check damper to revive a fire by closing it, which makes me think your damper is "open" more than closed? Once your fire has been established to the hotter temp you desire, does that mean you open it back up? Fully? Partially?
You also stated that a smaller fire pot is more sensitive to draft in a 6" pipe, compared to a bigger stove. Maybe I'm viewing this incorrectly as an automotive exhaust system comparison again, in that a smaller tube hedder works better on a smaller engine for breathing, but becomes a restriction on a larger cube motor. So a big 6" stove pipe acting on a smaller firebed, I would think to be "less" responsive. (?)

I did as FB suggested last night, and pulled my check damper out "slightly", and 8 hrs later (this morning), it appeared to work as well as dumping on a pound of magic dust. The barrel temp was down, and the firepot gauge read healthy, about 450 degrees. And it recovered pretty quickly. Curious how it would perform on a 20 hr burn, like the past few days using fines. I won't be able to experiment with that for a couple days seeing it's the week-end, and my daughter came home from Syracuse college, so we'll want to have some extra heat. But I think what you (Paul) said about the fines clogging the coal bed, and needing extra attention makes sense. Thanks guys.

Joe,
First, lets make it clear that when to use a check damper all depends on the OAT and what you want for heat output.

Also to be clear, the motor analogy has it's limits. The intake system is like a stove - it's powered by not-so-high external pressure. However, the exhaust system gases are powered by extremely high internal pressure - the explosion of burning fuel/air. And car exhaust has far greater volume compared to pipe cross section) . And we're talking about two vastly different scales of measurement because of those vast differences in pressure - even in the lower pressure intake side. So pipe resistance becomes FAR more critical in auto exhaust systems. Although, your welcome to try putting a set of Blackjacks on your stove and see if it shaves a few tenths off your reloading times. :lol:

As you, know, draft strength is effected in a big way by OAT's. At above freezing temps, both of my stoves run slowly enough naturally without the check damper being open, because of reduced draft strength of the warmer OAT.

However, at below zero temps it is like trying to hold back a blast furnace.

I only use the check damper when it gets down into the single digits and below. Above those temps, the primary and MPD do fine.

Now, back to when it warms up.
You have the option of using some amount of check damper opening when it gets warmer to help slow the stove. So do I, but then the range will still overheat the kitchen, so I do something else then.

I don't use the check damper in warmer weather because the range has so much heat extracting surface area - at least several square feet more than my #6. Unlike your stove, I have the option of closing off the water tank reservoir dampers and that reduces the heat radiating area of the entire right-hand 1/4 end of the range, while at the same time sending that heat to the chimney. That allows me to use less primary air and still maintain enough draft.

With the #6, the firebed has so much heat volume (BTUs) that it breaths fine though a mix of smaller bits and some fines. That allows me to run the stove slower like Lee does with his large firebed furnace while using up those small bits and fines - rather than throw them out as some stove owners do. There's lots of BTU's I paid for in that small stuff. ;)

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 12:31 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sat. Mar. 03, 2018 10:12 am
So pipe resistance becomes FAR more critical in auto exhaust systems. Although, your welcome to try putting a set of Blackjacks on your stove and see if it shaves a few tenths off your reloading times. :lol:
Paul
If I stuck a set of hedders on my stove, I would also need to mount a couple AFBs to the ash pan door, to be beneficial. ;)
I think I'm witnessing your comments on poor drafting in warm weather. Which I guess to be a good thing.
I was a little confused recently, cause of the readings on my Dwyers manometer that is still reading the CC. The readings in there in BH mode have been exceeding the pipe readings. By quite a bit. I was thinking the sensing tube on my pipe was clogged, but checked the 0 on my Dwyers, and found it to be off. Once reset, it went back to imitating the pipe draft. Both less than -.02, with the stove turned down low.

Something else I've been curious about. If I'm warming up my stove, in BH mode, and open up the MPD, both manos will give similar readings. Think about the flow of air in the 111, and where both my sensors are located. Altho they're relatively close, when in BH mode,the air in the CC is flowing downward around the suspended pot, towards the lower section, B4 flowing out to the back pipe. If my pipe damper sensing tube is registering the flow through the pipe there, then is the heat flowing "downward" in my CC, past the sensor mounted at the direct damper, (which is closed in BH mode)? I think it's pretty coincidental that an -.04 draft reading in my pipe, is the same as the flow of heated air passing the CC sensor.
In DD, I can understand it, seeing the air is flowing out the DDdamper, (where my CC tube is mounted), and the pipe sensor is only about 8" away, in the pipe B4 my MPD. It would be interesting to see the air flow in the CC with some type of smoke test, like when checking for a vacuum leak. :annoyed:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”