G111 Continued

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 10:33 pm

Am I a pilot? Ummm...no. Curious about this one. :)
emo shrug.jpg
.JPG | 8.3KB | emo shrug.jpg
DRAT! TOTP. :x

Jerrybro

Post by Jerrybro » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 9:45 am

Asked because the place I’ve seen OAT most commonly used was in aviation.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 9:57 am

Pilot? We're all pilots here, COAL pilots.. OAT for "outside air temperature" is something that many of us have picked up from hanging around here, for me anyways :)

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 10:25 am

LOL, Hey Lee, I don't know if you're old enuff to remember this, but Eric Burdon (The Animals) did a song in the late 60s called, "Sky Pilot". It was pretty radical for the time, but a good tune none the less. Your comment just reminded me of it. I see YT has it, on extended version. Will have-ta revisit it after.
But like you said, the OATS terminology I learned from the experts on this site. :out:

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Apr. 23, 2022 6:31 pm

Let the 111 fizzle out last night, and it was reliable and rewarding all winter. Kept us comfortable, while trying to keep our older Thermopride oil furnace up and running. Sometimes only had the Glenwood running, but will say, I don't remember too many frigid cold spells in the single digits (or less) this year. Bought a ton each of nut , and stove, and intermixed them depending on the situation. One major shakedown a day after work, plus a refill, and M/T ash pan, and then a couple quickies (poke and a couple spoonful's of coal) before bed, and rising.

I hate to admit, but a few times I mistakenly let the stove temp run-away, before I could cool it down, which frustrated me to no end. I know better, and shouldn't have let it happen. Not sure if it was the reason, but my fire ring, (the top grate around the suspended pot), separated right where its weakest point is, where the long barrel screw passes through it. I now have "2" broken fire-rings, and have one serviceable recast from Tomahawk. I'm gunna try and see if my "Muggy-weld" nickel rod, will attach the busted rings. I'll keep you posted, when I try it. But for now, I will close out the 2021/22 heating season, and say I hope all have a pleasant off season. Enjoy. :out:

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 6:06 pm

(2nd try :x )
And welcome to heating season 2022/23. I haven't fired the 111 yet, but did turn on the oil furnace, with a 100 gals of "new" democratic fuel, (at a cost of almost 5 bucks a gallon...thank you very much). Not that I wanted to, but my daughter was all bundled up in the house with hooded sweatshirts, and the likes, saying how cold she was. Looking at the old mercury but reliable HoneyWell thermostat/thermometer, I see it reading 60°. Is that cold? I guess to some it is, so on goes the burner. Just "temporarily", of course, right? The indian summer is right around the corner. (I can only hope).
Now I gutta fix the fenders on my tow dolly, so I can go get a couple ton of democratic coal.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 6:21 pm

Holy steaming pile of manure, Joe. 60? In the house!? My wife woulda started a campfire on the living room floor if it got that cold in the house.... And you have that beautiful stove there? Burn them black diamonds Brother! Shut that dino juice burner off!

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 8:18 pm

Well Lee, I "Do" have a couple weeks of LeHigh from last season, but I really don't like-ta start till at least Halloween. Usually Turkey day. And in the past 5 years, when I start it then, we'll get into 50+ weather in Dec, and I'll say, "why am I wasting coal?"

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 9:30 pm

Lightning wrote:
Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 6:21 pm
Holy steaming pile of manure, Joe. 60? In the house!? My wife woulda started a campfire on the living room floor if it got that cold in the house.... And you have that beautiful stove there? Burn them black diamonds Brother! Shut that dino juice burner off!
I totally agree with you , Lee. My wife is the same way. :clap:

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 9:45 pm

As is common knowledge, we have no heat source at all other than one or another coal stoves and having put in all new windows and doors, having the first ever insulation put in the side walls and lately installed a total of R42 in the attic we are enjoying a constant 60* in the house if it’s 80 or 37 outside so far.
We are old and this is a suitable early season temp for us, if it’s an especially fine day we go out and just sit in the sun for hours at a time
YRMV
Get all the coal you can
steve

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 10:01 pm

Glad you have a useable sun-room Steve. They really do warm up, don't they? (When the sun is out. )
We have a sunroom, built from a kit I installed over 20 yrs ago. It's not very beautiful cosmetically anymore, and needs quite a bit of rework, but because it's off our living room, with a 6' Anderson slider, when it's daytime, and sunny out, it really brings in some heat in the cool weather.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 11:47 pm

Another household here that a 60* temp would result in irritating sounds. A sunroom sounds very nice.

Burning fairly serious amounts of HO for several weeks. Filled up at $4.50 a gal. in early July. Commodities heating oil went up like crazy over the past few days. Local retail price went from $4.15 to $5.20 /gal in the past week.

Haven't fired the stove up yet as I'm hoping to stretch my barely 4 tons as far as possible. We also hope to escape for a few days fairly soon and that's not doable once lit up. After I fire up in a couple of weeks, it stays that way for the duration. Keep warm, all.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 3:58 pm

No sunroom Joe, we just go out side and sit in the sun.
We have wind protection on 3 sides and our little patio is super balmy.
“No lights, no phones, no motor cars, not a single luxury”
real peaceful, I can fall asleep out there in minutes.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 4:08 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 3:58 pm
No sunroom Joe, we just go out side and sit in the sun.
We have wind protection on 3 sides and our little patio is super balmy.
“No lights, no phones, no motor cars, not a single luxury”
real peaceful, I can fall asleep out there in minutes.
Guess I misread that Steve. Still sounds nice tho.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Oct. 09, 2022 8:25 am

No problem Joe and I should clarify. If you have seen pics of our house and posts I’ve made you’ll know that we do indeed “have” a sun porch across the front of our house.
It’s pretty much full of transitional items by which I mean stuff “I “ don’t need or want around here and that I selectively “ rehome “ in discrete amounts and on sporadic schedules.
Eventually we’ll be able to use it as you describe.
Sorry for the confusion

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”