Post by tcalo » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:42 pm

Nice pic Joe!!!

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:49 pm

Thanks Tom, but I'll bet you got some of your own. Sorry you ended up "TOTP!"
(Better you than me) LOL

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:53 pm

joeq wrote:
Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 2:19 pm
Thanks Bill. The temps are slowly rising, but the house is toasty. Got your Hitzer fired yet?
Yep! Lit up Saturday before Thanksgiving.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 6:36 pm

Joe, promise me you’ll vacuum your rear clean outs once a week!

Good to see the blues in the 111💪🏻

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 7:39 pm

Once a week Scott?!! I don't have time for that. If that's what it takes, guess I'll be running in DD. :?

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 8:24 pm

scalabro wrote:
Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 6:36 pm
Joe, promise me you’ll vacuum your rear clean outs once a week!
X2

Joe, you can vacuum the base chamber without shutting the stove down. Just have all tools ready first and don't take too long doing it.

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 10:13 pm

I never saw that requirement, in the maintenance manual. What if I use synthetic coal, can I extend the cleaning to a few months?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Nov. 30, 2021 12:03 am

mntbugy wrote:
Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 8:24 pm
X2

Joe, you can vacuum the base chamber without shutting the stove down. Just have all tools ready first and don't take too long doing it.
I do this with both the range and the GW#6. I use a long furnace cleaning brush from a plumbing and heating supply, and I made a PVC sink drain pipe long extension for the shop vac that reaches into the long flues.

Like Artie said, get everything ready.

I put the stove in direct draft with the MPD wide open to get it burning with a strong draft. Then pop the flue cover off. A quick brushing to loosen the fly ash on the flue top and side walls, and then run the PVC vac tube in along the flue floors.

Done often enough, it takes less than five minutes. .... unless you wait until it becomes a big PITA job. :roll:

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Dec. 27, 2021 11:08 am

So Christmas has just passed us by, and I spent 3 days back and forth, on the road, then home again, visiting family members. And because my furnace went down again, I relied heavily on the 111 to keep our house livable. With spans of up-wards of 12 hrs un-attended, the stove continued to operate with very little effort to get her warmed up again. I know she'll burn longer, but I haven't had the need to experiment with that...(as of yet). So altho the 111 pot has a modest capacity, it's been very accommodating to our needs. Now, to get into the dungeon. :|

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 1:15 pm

And here we go again. the beginning of the new year, and the 50° temps are gone, and the cold has returned. (Who'ld've thunk it?)

The 111 has become our "primary" heat source, with the old and not so reliable Thermo-pride, our back-up. And of course, (once again), woke up yesterday to another "hard Lock-out" on the digital displayed HoneyWell cad controller. It did lite-off, once reset, but soon the furnace will need some new replacement parts.

How-ever, I woke up the same morning, and when I entered the up-stairs hall-way, I noticed a bit more warmth than usual. I remembered going to bed the night B4, and rather than completely closing my 111 primaries, I left them open a sliver. (about 1/16th). Usually the coal bed will be lively, but ashed up on the bottom, when I get up 8 hrs later.. It still was ashed, but a bit more spirited combustion chamber. The ceiling/floor vent in the hall-way, seems to be working now-a-days, a bit better than I originally thought. I have mounted a "temporary" fan from the living room ceiling, (by the stove...sort-a), and up into the up-stairs hall-way, outside our bedroom, just as an experiment. On low, it does move heated air up-stairs. I don't leave it on at bedtime tho. Heat just radiates up.
ceiling fan 001.JPG
.JPG | 271.2KB | ceiling fan 001.JPG
ceiling fan 002.JPG
.JPG | 306.9KB | ceiling fan 002.JPG
ceiling fan 003.JPG
.JPG | 244.4KB | ceiling fan 003.JPG
The bottom photo above, shows the distance from the stove. Not much, plenty of heat at the ceiling there.
It isn't pretty right now, but in time, will install a wall fan, like I did a few years back, sending heated air into the kitchen, (works well), and a second one I installed into an insulated 8" tube, which is the duct from the furnace, to the up-stairs bedrm/bath. I tapped in another wall fan to that duct, but it never sends warm air from the living area, to the bedrm.
DSC00683.JPG
.JPG | 299.3KB | DSC00683.JPG
The wall fan on the right, moves heated air to the kitchen, and will raise those temps over 5° in about 1/2 an hr. The left fan goes into the heating duct to the up-stairs bd/bth, and works fine when the furnace is pushing hot air up there. But when the tube is cold, (no call for heat), and I turn on the wall fan (which is teed into it), I believe, (not 100% sure) the amount of heated air form the ceiling, is being diluted with the cold air in the pipe, from the cellar. I'm thinking of installing a sliding valve, or damper below the wall fan to keep the cold air from the cellar mixing in with it. (whew...long post)
In conclusion, I think I will wire one of those fans in the floor/ceiling vent permanently, and decide on a damper to the other one later. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 4:50 pm

Nice Joe…keep trucking along. You’ll find something that works!! Trial and error my friend.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 5:03 pm

What I thought a thermo-pride was built tough for lifetime comfort? If it’s an oil furnace, there isn’t much to maintenance.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 8:54 pm

Sure looks like you got your thinkin cap on. Real good ideas.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 10:18 pm

tcalo wrote:
Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 4:50 pm
Nice Joe…keep trucking along. You’ll find something that works!! Trial and error my friend.
Hounds51 wrote:
Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 8:54 pm
Sure looks like you got your thinkin cap on. Real good ideas.
Thanks men, lots of members with good ideas to keep me on the straight and narrow.
Holdencoal wrote:
Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 5:03 pm
What I thought a thermo-pride was built tough for lifetime comfort? If it’s an oil furnace, there isn’t much to maintenance.
"Lifetime of comfort" is a relevant term. Lifetime of what? The furnace is about 40 years old, and was reliable 2/3rds of it's life. Use-ta test in the 90+ percent range over many many years. The burner has seen better days. I just turned it on, to help out the 111, seein our oats have just dipped into the single digits. And I'm sure if the weathermen had their way, they would tell me how much worse it could be, with the wind chill.

Jerrybro

Post by Jerrybro » Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 10:27 pm

Joe, are you a pilot?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”