G111 Continued

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Mar. 09, 2019 10:34 am

Back again. Been a busy 1st of the year quarter...in my garage. Slowly started fixing a few busted things, which then blew up into a bunch of broken automobile repairs, on friends and family vehicles, and a couple of my own personal vehicles. I was happy to repair and register a 93 GMT-400 stakebed, that looks like it could haul quite a few antique stoves. :yes: (Not that I'm in the market)
The truck has a 6.2 diesel, and I just took it on a maiden voyage to Syracuse NY to move out my daughters apt. The truck isn't pretty, but ran beautifully, (over 500 mile trip), and got about 20 MPGs. Not bad for a 3/4 ton fullsize truck.
It's a fill in till I can re-do my 83 dually.
As for the G111, it's been operating since the beginning of January, and doing an admirable job. I've burned about a ton and a half of Lehigh stove and nut, and have a few weeks left to burn. Wonder if mother nature will require it? Next week is suppose to begin warming. And of course, spring has sprung, right? Tonite we set the clocks ahead, so get the gardens tilled, and the manure ready. :D

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Mar. 23, 2019 12:46 pm

Just thought I'ld throw in a quick up-date on the 111.
With the exception of a few over temp screw-ups, this winter has been uneventful. (Which could be considered a positive, depending how you look at it.)
Once again, our winter didn't start until well into Dec, but I am still burning, even tho the daytime highs are averaging into the hi 40s. The lows are still dipping below freezing, so because I got 2 tons of LeHigh, I still have approx. a couple more weeks of burning.
Although I still was averaging a 40 lb bag a day, lately it's been a bit less, because the days are warming, and it's idling more. I will M/T the pan once, shake er down and reload with a couple scoops about twice in the evening, just to keep going. But it is nice to be able to let it run over 10 hrs, un-attended, W/O any worries of losing the fire. The stove could use some touching up, but over all, because of the simplicity of design, (no computers, or sensors) it keeps on ticking. The dilemma of locating it in the living area, and not having a warm cellar, causing a cold floor, will always be there, but when it gets extreme, I just crank up the oil for a bit, to warm things up. It is, what it is. Can't complain, cause the extra warmth and nostalgic feel of the stove and design is always a bonus. :)

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Mar. 29, 2019 6:08 pm

And today, I let the 111 fade out. Suppose to warm up a bit the next few days, so maybe I'll do a quick cleaning. I still have another week or so of coal left, and next week the temps are projected to drop, so I might let er rip for one last spell. We'll see what mother nature brings.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Fri. Mar. 29, 2019 6:10 pm

I’m right there with you Joe...still burning! Going to push through this warm weather. I’m sure Old Man Winter isn’t done yet.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Mar. 29, 2019 6:44 pm

yep, our weather is to take another dive over tomorrow night and Sunday then start a slow yo-yo trending up but it's not spring around here till the peep toad have been frosted back to sleep 3 times.

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Mar. 29, 2019 11:27 pm

Peep toad? LOL. That's a new one on me Steve. Do they live in the trees? In water? Burrowed in the ground?

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Mar. 29, 2019 11:31 pm

tcalo wrote:
Fri. Mar. 29, 2019 6:10 pm
I’m right there with you Joe...still burning! Going to push through this warm weather. I’m sure Old Man Winter isn’t done yet.
You're out there on the Island Tom, so you better be careful of the Nor Easter supposibly climbing up the east coast, and maybe bring us some disturbance next week. Good you got your 116 to keep you confident. :yes:

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Mar. 30, 2019 7:23 am

joeq wrote:
Fri. Mar. 29, 2019 11:27 pm
Peep toad? LOL. That's a new one on me Steve. Do they live in the trees? In water? Burrowed in the ground?
Joe, they live in marshy areas and burrow in the mud to over winter. hardy little buggers.

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 2:54 pm

And once again, another season begins in earnest. (2019/2020)
About a month ago, I finally purchased a couple tons of LeHigh stove, and nut, to feed the little G111, but this year, my C-30 dually is down for the count. Mechanically it's fine, but the body sheet-metal is in serious decline. Has been for years...poor thing. I plan to fix it :lol: when the next available time slot opens up.
So to fill in the C-30s hauling chores, I was able to acquire a 93 2500 GMT-400, extremely reasonable, to get me by, till..... :annoyed:
For me, it's an up-grade, because it's 10 yrs newer than my dually. Same thrifty little gutless 6.2 diesel, but it purrs like a kitten. Unfortunately, it only has 2 pedals on the floor, but the tranny shifts perfectly. ( I hope it doesn't make me lazy.). It's not much to look at, but rides nice. Fingers crossed.
DSC00656.JPG
.JPG | 814.6KB | DSC00656.JPG

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 3:03 pm

This season, starting the stove was easy peasy. Less than an hour from 1st "Matchlight" light off, to putting the last load of LeHigh in the pot. I rubbed a little stove black on it a few days ago, and I tried not overheating the barrel as much as possible. There was a bit of stinky smoke, (lightly), but went away after a half hr or so. Temps to be in the upper 30s, and lows in the 20s, with maybe even a bit of slushy snow on Sunday. Guess Colorado and the Midwest got some crap, and it's coming this way. Think we're all ready. Good luck this season people.
DSC00669.JPG
.JPG | 389.9KB | DSC00669.JPG
DSC00668.JPG
.JPG | 413.5KB | DSC00668.JPG

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 3:26 pm

Looking good Joe!

Hey if you end up with an extra 6.2 ..... 😂 I may have a “Waggy” to put it in soon..

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 3:56 pm

Thanks Scott. I'll keep you in mind, if something transpires. Are you still on that "Wagoneer" kick?

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 4:15 pm

Good to see the stove running Joe!!! Best of luck with the rig.

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 4:28 pm

Hey Tom, Thanks also. Have you fired yet? What stove will you run this winter?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Looks great Joe, I bet standing next to it after coming in from the cold is pure delight soakin up those infrareds :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”