G111 Continued

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 4:51 am

This is a wonderful thread for me! How about doing a William type movie on your phone and upload it to youtube. I am now looking forward to using mine next winter.

Imagine a suite of movies from this board. Would make coal burning less intimidating to the uniformed. If you speak slowly even BB would get it.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 10:03 am

Did you say "phone" CN? :lol: The only function on my corded phone, (that I use), is the redial button. I don't see anything for movies.
If you go to my 1st season of burning, (click on the link on my signature) I did do a couple videos of the stove, and they're listed on my table of contents, to save you time from searching. Lots of good info provided by the members, as I initially got running. The quality and content of my videos is sadly lacking, but will give you some incite to what's ahead for you.

This morning I was rewarded once again to a healthy running stove, with pot temps in the 400°s, and a nice looking fire. That was an easy 14 hr burn with just a quick poke with the riddle stick, and tossed one shovel of nut on top of it in the interim. I ran it a little harder yesterday evening, seeing we're all home presently, but the oats really haven't been that cold at all. Once again, I used the check damper, (only pulled out a fraction, B4 bed), and didn't put any fines on it. Next week, (tomorrow), I'll start to try and see if going back to my old methods will bring back inferior results, or burned up pots. To be continued. Have a nice day. :)

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 11:07 am

Please text me.

Attachments

100_0944.JPG
.JPG | 387KB | 100_0944.JPG

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 11:33 am

No texting possible from this end, but PM sent. :)
P.S. Love the wall phone. Does it work?

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 12:26 pm

The “10,000 foot view” on this is that, well..... you could benefit from a larger version of your stove like the G113. Or a Larger Crawford like a 40. A far less expensive option would be to have a 36 inch barrel rolled up.

This works so well on the Stewart that I feel I could get even more heat out of the gasses before they exit the stove, by adding a dozen or so 3 x 36 inch fins attached via spit welds longitudinally on the barrel. Maybe this summer 🤯

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 2:18 pm

I think some of you have missed a couple pages of responses, because as of the last week or 2, the stove has been performing better than ever. Is it because the weather is on the up-rise? Can't say for sure, but my complaint with the 111 has never been that it doesn't get hot enuff, but my burn times haven't been what I'ld like. (Same complaint with the Surdiac). Everyone has made me realize it's because of the limited capacity of the pot.
"However", as of the last week or so, because I've experimented, (and proved successfully), my previous thoughts of shortened burn times were not because I wasn't shaking the stove down well enuff, or often enuff, but because I was ,#1- running the settings too hot, and #2- burning stove size coal, rather than smaller bits. It was Mike who really brought it to lite, that made me go back to the drawing board, and try a few things differently. I know many of you had been telling me this over and over, but I just couldn't make it click...until Mike. His thread was the one explaining how he dumped pea coal on his Sparkle, to lengthen his burn time.
Because I don't currently have any pea coal, I used my fines, and over a few days of primary adjustments, and the help of Franco suggesting I use my check damper, rather than smothering the bed like Paul brought up, I've been able to make this stove idle for 20 hrs or more. And the recovery time for the cool nights have been very acceptable.
So, altho a bigger stove will go longer, I don't see a reason to up-grade. Because of the chimney location, I'm restricted to it's current location, and even a larger stove wouldn't correctly, or effectively reach all parts of my house, so because the 111 seems to be able to run as long as I need it to, I think I'll keep her. :D

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Mar. 06, 2018 5:05 pm

And the success continues. Twice a day tendings, (4PM, and 10:30 PM), with the morning maintenance eliminated. The check damper worked OK on one occasion, but slacked off another time, so I sprinkled some magic dust on it last night, which also worked. We cooled down to the 20s last night, and because the nut coal has a hard time heating up, as nicely as the stove size, I had to run it a bit harder to make the heat. But all worked out as has been, and the stove recovered quickly, again, for tonites mission. Tomorrow we're expecting one more snow storm, to end our season. (Hopefully...as far as snow goes). Glad I didn't leave the stove down, but I only have a few more bags to get me through the week. We'll see what mother nature has in store for us.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Mar. 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Yes Joe, garlic is used to ward off Vampires 🧛‍♂️.

TOTP

Hahahahaha

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Mar. 13, 2018 7:08 pm

You "do" get around, don't you Scott? :lol:
So my above post references a storm we had last Tuesday, and here we are, exactly a week later, and another March snow storm hits. It's bark was more than its bite, but we did get a few inches of wet slop, none the less. And because my Lehigh was gone, and my local supplier was out, (thought I already mentioned this), I've purchased a couple weeks worth of Blaschac nut coal. Been burning it a few days now, and it does fine. I commented B4 on how it visually looks like Kimmel coal, rather than the clean and shiny Blaschac pea stuff I use-ta buy for the Surdiac. And I haven't been shoveling on any magic dust either, or even opening the check damper to extend my burns. Just completely closing my primary damper, and MPD, and she runs on perfectly. 'Course the oats haven't been bad either, (between 25-45°) so next season it'll be interesting how it runs with winter temps.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Mar. 24, 2018 9:38 pm

And over a week later, (almost into April) we're still toolin along. I'm lovin the way this 111 just keeps on chuggin. Except for yesterday,... I once again learned its limits. I don't even remember how long I went W/O tending. Think it was about 24 hrs, some high settings, but mostly on low, with maybe a quick poke at the grate in the middle sometime, but not even adding. When I made the time, and gave it some attention, it took almost 3-4 hrs to get it back on line. It was pretty weak, and I don't blame it.
I got it all shook up, scraped down, and put almost 40 lbs of fresh Santa nut coal in it last night. Today I had it idling all day, but towards the evening hrs, I opened her up a bit. When I went to make the adjustment, I noticed the pot temp was high, but the barrel temp was dirt low, and when I opened the load door to check on the coals, the top was black as coal, (wait a minute, I think it was coal), but under the top layer was an orange blazing bed of hot coals. Barrel temp came back up in less than 5 mins. Like we've all talked about B4, stoves like this work best with tending every 10-12 hrs to keep things simple. Otherwise, it's time consuming to get back up and running. Still have another weeks worth of nut, so once again, waiting to see what MN has in store for us.

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 8:43 am

I have googled it but find nothing. What does it mean, to say the oats are cold or not too cold? And congrats on your burn time. Verrry Interesting experimenting.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 11:36 am

OATs= "Outside Air Temperatures" (I learned that here.) :)

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Mar. 30, 2018 1:30 pm

It's now a day or two B4 April, and my 111 is now in hibernation mode. Day time temps to be close to 60, and nights about 40°, so because I only have a couple bags left, I'm gunna give it/us a break from tending. We'll see what mother nature has in store for the rainy month, before I commit to putting her in "summer" mode.
Happy (?) Easter everyone.

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Sat. Apr. 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Ah! You did explain it. OAT.
So what is going on over there? I'm still burning at night but let it go out during the day, or burning during the day and letting it go out over night. Weather very high or low. Cold there???

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Apr. 28, 2018 11:59 pm

Hi Jen, did you have your "oats" today? (I had mine. My battery operated thermometer quit working weeks ago, and today I finally installed a new 3V 2025 battery, and can now read my "oats").
We reached 70+ today for a high, and now at almost midnight, still 55°. So the 111 is still down. A couple weeks ago our highs and lows went down, so I was able to pick up 1/2 a dozen bags of Lehigh nut from my local supplier, (less than $6 a bag) to keep me entertained a little longer and ran out all but 1 bag. I don't see me firing her up till next season. Now I need to de-ash, clean, polish and wax, and lastly install my night-light for summer time night time effects. Hope you're still enjoying your range. :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”