G111 Continued

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 11:06 am

Not running the Dwyers Paul, cause as I wrote about in the draft check thread, McG sent me to the vent port on the back of the gauge, and it seemed to be the problem. So the mag. is working fine again. And the fluid hasn't arrived from the jungle yet for my Dwyers. But I will use it for a comparison, just because.
Speaking of mags, the loading hole in the top of the 111 is only 6" diameter. Less with the mag wall thickness subtracted, And the depth of it could only be a foot or so. Which means it wouldn't hold anymore than maybe 5 lbs. Not sure if it would be worth the effort. What's the diameter and drop of your mag Paul? I'm guessing you already posted it in your thread.
(TOTP)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 11:35 am

Yeah, that's not much storage for what it would probably cost to make one.

The GW #6 recast mags are 6-1/2 inch tapering to 6-1/4 inch ID, by 19 inch length = a measured 20 pounds of nut coal.

BTW, you have mail.

Paul

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 12:21 pm

joeq wrote:
Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 11:06 am
(TOTP)
I'm telling you Joe, it's a conspiracy.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 12:41 pm

tcalo wrote:
Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 12:21 pm
I'm telling you Joe, it's a conspiracy.
"You think Tom?!" :lol:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 1:01 pm

He sure has the talent for timing ! :lol:

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Here we are, middle of Feb., and the past couple weeks the 111 has been running well. I still believe the "proper" usage of the nut/stove coal is critical, at least in my application. Been mostly burning the LA nut, and the burn times are still holding true. I think 12-14 hrs un-attended wouldn't be unreasonable, tho I haven't pushed it to that limit ...yet. Maybe next week, I'll give it a try, seeing our OATs are now on the rise.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 21, 2018 4:16 pm

Let it go the other day for 12 hrs, (lots of ash) and got it back to temp in a little over an hr. Gently poking, riddling, and filling, till the bed was hot and full. Settings were very low, and filled with LA nut. OATs around 40s-almost 50 highs, lows only about 30°. Today the OATs are over 70°, (weird for Feb) and I let the 111 burn out. Will probably relight this weekend.

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Been back up and running a few days now, and all's been OK. The temps are still hoovering around 40-50s daytime highs, and lows back to around freezing. So I've been taking peoples advice, (Mike has brought it to light again) with covering the coal pile with some smaller bits, to contain some of the heat on the warmer days. I have buckets of TSC fines, and decided to throw some of it in. Man, it works great. Not only for keeping the temps down, but for a longer burn. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I shovel in a couple scoops of fines, on top of a fresh and hot coal bed, it doesn't smother it, (although it looks like it might) but must slow down the breathing, and puts itself in a comma.
I did this a couple nights ago, B4 bed, and when I approached the stove the next morning, all the mica was black, the way it looks when its dead. But I noticed the thermometer on the frt of the stove that measures the lower pot temp, it was reading 1/2 scale, not cold. And altho the top of the coal bed was black, it looked fresh, as if it had never burned, (which I guess it hadn't). But underneath was a glowing and hot burning bed.
Here's some pics of what my stove temps were when I came home from work today. Excuse the blurry photos. Think I'm gunna need a tri-pod these days. Can't keep still.
G111 fines 001.JPG
.JPG | 296.1KB | G111 fines 001.JPG
G111 fines 002.JPG
.JPG | 267KB | G111 fines 002.JPG
G111 fines 003.JPG
.JPG | 198.5KB | G111 fines 003.JPG
G111 fines 004.JPG
.JPG | 329KB | G111 fines 004.JPG
The photo of the burning coals is what it looked like after burning all day, un-attended. Usually the pile would be lower, brighter in the middle, and ashed up around the sides. And in order to get it back up to temp for this evenings charades, a little riddling, shaking, and filling, and back up to temp in less than 1/2 hr, a decent performance for me anyway. Can't wait to experiment and see how long I can extend my burn times. :D

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 5:13 pm

I have one courtesy of William. I am thinking of using it in the cuff season. I am watching this thread closely and thx. I need to get a 12 hour reliable burn using Direnzo nut with some buck on the top. These days the only thing I am prepared to get up in the middle of the night for is to pi$$.

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 5:36 pm

Know the feeling CN.:)
Are you saying you have a 111 also? Neat piece of equipment. Perfect for the shoulder months, and 12 hr burns should be possible, when not ridden hard. If you're needing some bricks, I think I may be doing mine over in another year or 2. Amazing how much crud collects on them in such a short time. Not sure if you followed along on my brick molds, but it was a challenging ordeal. I still have the capabilities to do more, but haven't made the time to finish the boxes 100%. Maybe this summer, I'll make some time.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 5:10 pm

And the experiment continues. Same procedures as yesterday, (layered on some fines), and the pot temp is still registering over 400°. I'm goin on 12 hrs, and haven't touched it. The barrel temp is a piddly 200°, but that's OK, cause the oats are over 50. I want to poke and riddle so bad I can taste it, but I'm gunna try to see if it'll revive after 14 hrs. What'll that be around here? 8 PM? Don't know if I can wait that long. We'll see.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 5:20 pm

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 6:19 pm

LOL! That's one I forgot about. :lol:

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 8:10 pm

Could only make it 13 1/2 hrs..."unattended". Pot temp basically was stuck at 400°. I'm sure it would've gone longer, seeing it stayed there for hrs. But my curiosity got the best of me, in that I wasn't sure how long it would take to get it back. I was totally impressed in the fact, the blue ladies were still hangin around, after all that time. Thought they would've been plum tuckered out, and retired for the duration.
So I 1st opened everything up, and after about 5 min., did a little scraping of the grates, till a shower of sparks started dumping into the ash pan. And then topped it off with one scoop of LA nut, on top of a coal bed that was still tall, dark, and proud. (Dark and blue on the top, but red hot underneath).
I then waited for some type of response, and in about 10-15 mins. the new coal was also dancing, so I gave the grate handle some action, and ripped it a new one, till the clinker door was as bright as the sun. And lastly, I dropped her down a couple gears, and shoved it into BH mode, MPD about 45°, and shut the AP door, but kept the primaries opened about 3/8ths to let it continue heating up. 'Bout a 1/2 hr into it, and the barrel is back to 400, and the pot is past 500°. Life is good.
So what do I take from all this? I'm sure you masters have been 'splaining this to me over and over, but I'm guessing the pot temps were so high during the days, (due to me not shutting my primaries down low enuff, or completely shutting the MPD all the way, and nut rather than stove coal), and the coal bed was just "burning down" and turning to ash. With the addition of the fines blanketing the coal bed, I'm thinkin is the "icing on the cake", completing what was needed all along to acquire these long burns.
Now I know some of you with your stoves holding 60-70lbs or more are laughing, and saying "what's the big deal"? When your stove doesn't even hold 1 bag of coal, like the 111, it really makes a difference. Maybe next time I'll try to see how much longer it'll go, but I'll have-ta find somewhere to drive away, cause when I'm home, I can't stay away from tinkering with this thing. :shifty:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 9:57 am

I've just had a three week course in comparing two Glenwood antique stoves - a 75lb capacity firepot and mag to a 25 lb. firebox - both run 24/7.

The main difference is that big stove is very forgiving.

The small firebox stoves like your 111 and my kitchen range are much less forgiving. Getting them to run their longest takes more attention to timing, proper ash removal, and what size coal to add, when.

Not to take anything away from the big stove owners, but when you can get a small firepot stove to consistently run at it's longest, you have truly mastered the "art" of burning coal. And it sounds to me like your there, Joe. ;)

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”