G111 Continued

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 9:10 am

I tried some pea in my 111 in the beginning, and it just slid through the grates, into my ash pan. But maybe if it were mixed with the stove size, as you said, wouldn't be as bad. I do know the nut stuff does a good job of blanketing the coal bed. Won't be using any today tho. Only 15°OATS, and now it's morning, and we feel it. Need to get the 111 back on line.
(TOTP)

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 7:11 pm

That's a great idea, the remote thermometer, for a couple of reasons.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Remote bbq thermometer's a brilliant idea.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 8:20 pm

:?: I must've missed something :?:

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 7:59 pm

So I came home today, a little early after work, expecting to see a fairly lively coal fire, but instead found a fire pot so lethargic, I knew it was beyond hope. But I gave it a quick try to revive it anyway, but to no avail. It took two attempts, and I've finally got her up and running...4 hrs later. Wasn't pushing it too hard.
When my daughter came home from work/school, I told her about my disappointment, and she too was confused. She told me when she went home for lunch, 4 hrs after I tended it B4 work, says she took the liberty to do some "de-ashing" :o
OK, not really a bad thing. Kinda glad she's taken an interest, and have mentioned to them, if they see the klinker area dark and grey, it wouldn't hurt to take the poker, and do a "touch" of riddling, to break up the ash. When I got home from work, the coal level was pretty low compared to normal, and I thought it strange that much ash would fall into the pan...by itself.
So I asked her, "after you riddled it, did you toss in a couple shovel fulls of coal?" She said she didn't cause to her, the level seemed OK. But when she showed me, it didn't look right.
So there was my "variable", that sometimes I have-ta question the performance, or results of a certain day. :?

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Lol. Too funny. Sweet of her to take the hard job. Huh. Nice writing style.

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 10:57 pm

"Nice writing style?" Thanks Jen, but I don't know what that means. :annoyed:
And the hard job would've been her going out into the sunroom, and opening a new bag of stove, filling the hods, M/Ting the ash pan, and bringing everything fresh back inside. But I guess I'm grateful she's taken to riddling anyway. My next quest is to have her throw some more fuel to the fire, when necessary.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 19, 2018 4:45 am

Baby steps Joe, sounds like progress to me! :)

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Today, we're finally warming up, to almost 50°, and tomorrow too, so I've covered the stove coal with nut, to try and see if I can keep the house from boiling over. Also have it set in DD, and my MPD fully closed. I'm now watching to see if the fire will go out. So far, it's down to about a little less than 400 on the barrel, and still lowering. But the pot temp in frt of the stove is way up there over 550° meaning the bottom is still alive. I'll have to see what the lows are expected to be at tonite.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 6:31 pm

My G109 has been on a low idle all day. Temps were 50+ today, dropping a bit now. Just bumped open the primaries just a smidge.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi Tom. Did you have to do any riddling today? Because it's the week-end, and was home all day, I was watching the brightness of the klinker door window, and it did have some coloring to it. And I was tempted to go and do a tad of de-ashing, but also wanted to experiment with this low setting. It held up pretty good for about 6-7 hrs, and because the temps are dropping, I decided to do a little grate scraping, and topped off with a couple shovels of stove for the evening hrs. Was pretty comfy here all day.
P.S. Check out lightnings new avatar...the "riddler!" :lol: Very cool Lee.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 6:52 pm

joeq wrote:
Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 2:37 pm
Today, we're finally warming up, to almost 50°, and tomorrow too, so I've covered the stove coal with nut, to try and see if I can keep the house from boiling over. Also have it set in DD, and my MPD fully closed. I'm now watching to see if the fire will go out. So far, it's down to about a little less than 400 on the barrel, and still lowering. But the pot temp in frt of the stove is way up there over 550° meaning the bottom is still alive. I'll have to see what the lows are expected to be at tonite.
Joeq it sounds like you got a little air leak??? Temps seem high for a stove in sleep mode.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 7:22 pm

joeq wrote:
Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 6:50 pm
Check out lightnings new avatar...the "riddler!" Very cool Lee.
Thanks, I give credit to member "warminmn" for the inspiration ;)

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 9:44 pm

joeq wrote:
Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 6:50 pm
Hi Tom. Did you have to do any riddling today?
A quick shake this morning around 9am. Been chugging along on an idle most of the day. I opened the primary a bit around 5pm. I plan on doing a thorough cleaning tonight about 10pm

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 10:28 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 6:52 pm
Joeq it sounds like you got a little air leak??? Temps seem high for a stove in sleep mode.
Mike, the stove was in a downward trend at that point, and did cool off more. But yeah, there are a few air leaks in places too.
tcalo wrote:
Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 9:44 pm
A quick shake this morning around 9am. Been chugging along on an idle most of the day. I opened the primary a bit around 5pm. I plan on doing a thorough cleaning tonight about 10pm
Just did mine too Tom. It held on really good today. We'll see what tomorrow brings, seeing the house will be M/T for most of the day. I mixed a little stove coal, with more nut tonite when I topped off. See if it'll make it more responsive to re-firing in the AM. Nite all.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”