G111 Continued

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Fri. Dec. 08, 2017 10:07 pm

The 116 is burning now and it will be -18 Celsius soon, but I don’t do the proper thing and take it all apart and put it back together so I don’t take pics. The 208 is absorbing dw40 still.
The mica I bought for the Tiger was perfectly clear, very nice from Tekonsha Ml. Your pictures look perfect though.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 7:33 pm

So I'm almost on one week of burning the 111, and it's been operating "premo". I'm sure the Lehigh coal has been influential in that. Mostly nut, but some stove size. The oats have ranged from high 20s to mid 40s, and have used "roughly" 40lbs a day. I haven't tried to slow her down, but it hasn't been cranked either.
So after a bit of tending this Sat. afternoon, I M/Td the ash pan into a metal container outside, and decided to let it sit there and cool down. (the ash pan). So I closed the ash pan door, with primaries set at their normal "cracked" open, and the MPD a little past 45° closed, and went in the puter room to check out my e-mail. I returned less than 20 mins later to find my barrel temp running to south Korea for an Olympic marathon! :o
My IR gun said about 650°! on the barrel. I can only say it must be all the air running through W/O the ash pan in there, which covers a large portion of the slide damper opening. Never thought it to be that sensitive.
run away stove 001.JPG
.JPG | 308.1KB | run away stove 001.JPG
I also recognize the fact that thermometer magnet isn't very strong, and has a tendancy to slide down the barrel. I think that's why I Iocated it last year above the klinker door, so it had a shelf to sit on. Maybe the temp showed high also because now-a-days I load the pot to the hilt. You can see it in this photo in that the upper grate is barely visible on the backside.
And that's after it's burned down some.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 7:59 pm

Let's see your tan lines joe! :lol: :| ...never mind, look away nothing to see here

I was wondering how hot these babies like to get :eh:

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Be careful with your 12 Mike. don't want to see it get away like mine did. I saw some temps around 700°, but they were at the bottom of the comb. chamber, and the coals were blazing on the other side of the "tin".

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Dec. 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Scary day today folks. Almost lost the fire. Because of my past few days O/T schedule, I hadn't kept up with the de-ashing/refueling like I should've, and no-one else here can be bothered. (Only because there's an automated system installed in the cellar, that'll cover for any of my incompetence.) If the stove were the only means of them staying warm, I'm sure they'ld have a whole new outlook.
Anyway, did some minor scraping and refueling yesterday evening, bout supper time, and ended up going to bed early, cause of an early work schedule. Which meant when I awoke, there's wasn't much time B4 work to properly de-ash so I gave it a quicky, dumped a couple shovel fulls of nut, and went to work. Came home about 6 hrs later, and the stove was grey and cold looking. No orange glo anywhere, till I opened the load door. The pot was only 1/2 full, and if you looked "really" hard, you could see some embers glowing in the middle of all that decrepid burned up coal. :o It had probably been a couple days that I had done a thorough ash cleaning, so I guess I can't be too mad at it.
Here it is, almost 4 hrs later, and I've finally gotten the pot filled back up, and the barrel temp around 400°. Probably would've been faster, had I dumped the dirty pot earlier, and started over. But I didn't want to use "another" match, and tried to see how long I could get it to recover. (Next time, I'll dump it) ;)

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 12:37 pm

So here's a quick little story, to assist in "not" making the same mistakes I do. Because my wife now works with diagnosed Dementia individuals, I'm wondering if it's a contagious disease. Cause I swear it's affecting me more and more, on a daily basis. And I'm not saying that jokingly either. I know how serious the disease is.
Anyway, I'll start off with this. In the spring, when I pulled the "detachables" of my stove apart for cleaning, coatings, and storing out in my sunroom, (That would be ash pans, grates, drawcenters, covers, and anything else that was easily lifted off), which would allow easier access with the vacuum machine. Once accomplished, I moved on to other spring time priorities, and never gave the stove another thought...until start-up this season. When the temps finally dropped to an uncomfortable level, I "quickly" pulled the stove accessories out of hibernation for another season of enjoyment. After burning for quite a few weeks, I started to notice a strange burning stain appearing on my nickel coated top ring surrounding the bonnet. Not the entire ring, just a couple long places 180° apart from each other. I was highly disappointed in that I was under the impression the nickel was in great shape on this stove, and didn't think it to be that thin. Anyway, wasn't much I was gunna do about it, at this point. Then the temps dropped drastically lately, and in order to squeeze every last drop of BTUs out of this stove, I had forgotten about the top of the stove, and moving the bonnet to the side, for a little more heat transfer, rather than having it trapped under the bonnet. Not sure how beneficial this move is concerning heat out-put, and know that in the past I've done this, just to put a kettle on there for nothing more than moisture assistance. (Altho we also have a humidifier in the living room).
So the other day, I was putzing around, and decided to move the bonnet back, and see if more heat would rise out of it. When what to my wondering eyes did appear(?!), but a blazing fire through the open hole in the pan under the bonnet! I had forgotten to replace the flat iron cover used for loading, or holding up my kettle. Meaning all the heat from the combustion chamber, was captured under the bonnet! :o and that could probably be why a week or so ago, I came home to my CO detector going off up in the stairwell. I didn't notice anything unusual about the stove, so I just reset it, and went about my business. It hasn't gone off since. I guess that bonnet has a pretty good fit, cause not much was leaking out from it. But "WOW"! What an eye opener.
I was able to take the nickel ring, place it in some soapy water, and get the stain off of it. Because I saw a small golden drip off one section of it, I'm wondering if it was some creosote from initial fire-up, that leaked out because the cover wasn't installed underneath. And the heat baked it on. So is there a lesson here to be learned? Yeah, no matter how hard I try, seems I'll always forget something, and there's nothing I can do about it. For another example. I pulled the tire chains off my JD 214 last winter, and "placed them" in a location that I wouldn't lose them. Guess what? I don't remember where that is. Have looked in my garage and sheds for the past week, but to no avail. Had to order another set from Amazon, in order to find them. When the new ones arrive next week, the old ones will "turnip". (Ain't it always the way?) :oops: "Happy Motoring" :)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 3:28 pm

You're not crazy Joe. Like me you are the victim of the paranormal.
If i drop something on the floor it instantly goes to another universe, sometimes reappearing at a later time.

And of course when I know damn well where something is, it aint there.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm right there with ya Richard, quite often I'll drop something and I'm quite certain it falls into a worm hole to another dimension only to reappear at another point in time where it fell.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 5:55 pm

How 'bout Murphys law. "Any tool dropped while working on a car, will roll underneath, to the exact center". :lol:
(I'll vouch for that one) :baby:

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 6:01 pm

My memory is still with me johnq...I see you remembered the front loading door! :yes:

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 6:42 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 6:01 pm
My memory is still with me johnq...I see you remembered the front loading door! :yes:
rofl_display.jpg
.JPG | 28.5KB | rofl_display.jpg

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Wow, I don't even know where to start on this subject. If it were possible for me to list every instance similar to yours the forum would freeze
up, go into overload and the Mayor would need an additional server. :o

Welcome to the club Joe ! :lol:

Paulie

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 11:14 pm

I'ld like to compete with you on that last one Paulie, but I can't remember what the topic was. :oops:

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 12:32 am

joeq wrote:
Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 11:14 pm
I'ld like to compete with you on that last one Paulie, but I can't remember what the topic was. :oops:
I have just fell down laughing and I can't get up :lol:

Who is this again ??? :D

Paulie

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 7:00 am

...sorry triple post :baby:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”