looking for user manual for Kenmore 835 1000

Liz570
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut

Post by Liz570 » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Good evening, Not sure i am in the right arena to ask this question. Yesterday I purchased an old Kenmore apartment size heater for my greenhouse/ workshop. It appears to be in good condition with average wear. The rear fire brick is broken in 2 and I would like to replace it if possible. I thought it could be temporarily repaired with refractory cement? The stove is also missing a shaker tool, lid lifter and needs a new ashpan. I am not so concerned with these tools as i am sure i can locate something around here that will work. However what i am interested in is how to operate the stove. I checked the Sears/Roebuck website but could not find any information. There is no information about type of coal to burn ( I was told chestnut), how long it will burn and how to regulate the draft and heat exchanger. I did receive vague operating instructions and would like to confirm the information. I was told to start and fill the stove as with any other coal fire. I am ok with that. Is there any other place i could search for more information about the background & operation of this stove?
It has a porcelain white finish, 2 plate burners, and is approximately 30" high and 14" wide. When i did a search for the model number I found a photo of a similar model. It was called a fireplace heater. The person i purchased the stove from said they used it for canning. I assume it was used as a supplemental cook source.
Any information and /or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Wed. Nov. 22, 2017 6:58 am

Hi Liz.. FWIW.. Sears oftentimes put the Kenmore name on products built by other manufacturers. e.g. Whirlpool made some of their washers and dryers. Your stove may have also been sold under another name for which parts may still be available. One more thing... if you posted some images of your stove someone here may be able to identify it (under another name). Hope you're able to salvage it.. Good luck.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”